Well, I can honestly say MARYLAND sucks

DZNZ

May 14, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Silver UMax
Hey ppls,

Bought my Tesero about 5 months ago and started looking for spots (every weekend). Did a lot of research. Although MD is rich in history, seems like every square inch is owned by someone who would prefer you not hunt on their land.

The "open" historic spots are often riddled with large amounts of trash. Again, I have to ask: why won't the state gov let you hunt? They allow these sites to decay horribly.

I have searched a few parks, beaches, etc--and found very little.

At this point, I am a bit disillusioned to say the least.

I got permission to hunt (via the Parks and Recs manager) Kent county in its entirety. But, I have no idea where to start.

Anyone have any pointers? Anyone want to get together and hunt?

I am on the verge of selling what I just bought cos of this state.
joejoe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Well, I can honestly say MD sucks

Try to find a treasure hunting club in your area and hook up with someone there is my best advice. Monty

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

Hey

I am in Maryland also and I know what you mean. Congrats on permission in Kent County. Hang in there. I got my detector and started in my development. Playgrounds, ball fields, grassy strips along public sidewalks. This took awhile. I kept my eyes open and found some sidewalk repairs and detecting when they removed the old sidewalk. Next target was a large field that is about to be developed. It's owned by the developer and kind of tied up in litigation with the community right now opposing the building. I just hit it without permission. From word of mouth, I went to a new development still under early construction. Very old ruins of a house remain there and have started working it on Sundays. No one living in development now and no construction crew around on Sundays. I don't see any no tresspassing signs so I will work it over next few weekends.

Another idea is commercial property for sale that is vacant. Look for grassy areas that are not paved. Older homes for sale after asking permission are next.

I am in Montgomery County and we do have a rich history and I agree it is a shame that really good spots will be off limits. Let people you meet and know you are looking for older properties to detect. I think you'll eventually get some offers and permission.

Optic

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

as small as maryland is, I'd look within 2 hour driving distance.
with Kent county, talk to some of the old timers about swimming holes, camp grounds, picnic areas
party spots, lovers lanes. go to the old folks home, just because they live there doesn't mean they can't remember the old days

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

go to the library or court house and look for old maps and pictures of what your town used to look like and where they had any town get togethers tent revivals carnivals and fairs and any old hosues that has big bare patches in thier yards

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

maybe the hobby just isn't for you. if you aren't having fun why do it right? its not a crime to decide later that it wasn't as much fun as you thought it would be. now days it is real work to find spots that produce good finds. most of the easy spots have been hit to death and the easy targets already found. that's not to say that theres nothing left to find but it takes perseverance and downright hard work sometimes to find the good stuff. remember, sometimes the treasure is in the hunting and not the finds. :wink: if the actual hunting part is no fun, maybe another hobby would be. :)

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV

I just started a few weeks ago and enjoy it very much. I figure if I find something of real value then hurray for me but I still am very happy when find very little. It certainly take time to search a field or old homestead but the search itself is just as fun. Hang in there.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unfortunately a lot of Thers' are not quick to help other detectorist. They closely guard information and sites like gold. I have met some who gladly exchange ideas and info with you, but most successfull ones seem to be closed mouthed. I have offered to trade hunts with others but no one who is finding good finds wants another detectorist in the same zip code as their honey holes. I have only been back at detecting for 5 years and I have helped at least 6 others during that time. Sorry about the negativity here but this is a sore subject with me.

Ed D.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

Born2Dtect said:
Unfortunately a lot of Thers' are not quick to help other detectorist. They closely guard information and sites like gold. I have met some who gladly exchange ideas and info with you, but most successfull ones seem to be closed mouthed. I have offered to trade hunts with others but no one who is finding good finds wants another detectorist in the same zip code as their honey holes. I have only been back at detecting for 5 years and I have helped at least 6 others during that time. Sorry about the negativity here but this is a sore subject with me.

Ed D.

there is some truth to this. there are guys out there though who will let you tag along if you become friendly with them. i might suggest joining a club where you can meet others who also like to detect.

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV

In Maryland it certainly seems as though people aren't willing to share. Thats why I think it would be great to start a new club here in Maryland. That way we can swap information, go on buddy hunts, and just have a good time at it. Since there are so few places to go it might be easier to get permission to go on people's property or even just the safety of going on to a site that is abandoned. Hey I would love to find that $20 gold piece but those places are hard to reach and the more people involved to get there the better your chances are of getting it. If I went somewhere with someone and they found that $20 gold piece I'm thinking wow maybe theres more. So hey Marylanders lets get that ball rolling. What few clubs I've seen they never seem to last very long. I live in Germantown,MD and I have looked at some of the old topo maps and it looks like there is some rich history in Maryland just waiting to be discovered.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex

I used to live in Germantown from 2000-2003. I had more luck hunting in Frederick County, but I did find some good coins and relics on private property. Try attending a South Mountain Relic & Coin club meeting. They have an annual picnic/ club hunt, and you could hook up with other people who already know places to go. Trust me, there are good places to hunt in Frederick County. You just have to find them and get permission.

pulltabmike

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2004

I'm sorry you feel that way. Personally, I have lived in Md. most of my life, and prefer digging here more than anywhere else ;D Most of my better finds were found no more than 20 minutes away from my house ;D Sure, I drive anywhere from 45 minutes up to 2 hours to get to a spot, but you will also find that the spots I research are the spots that are out of the way, and most detectorists "overlook". I have also hunted spots that should have been pounded, but never were!!! I've gotten my fair share of turndowns over the years, but all it takes is one yes to fill your pouch.
Mike

OP
OP
DZNZ

DZNZ

May 14, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Silver UMax

hollowpointred said:
maybe the hobby just isn't for you. if you aren't having fun why do it right? its not a crime to decide later that it wasn't as much fun as you thought it would be. now days it is real work to find spots that produce good finds. most of the easy spots have been hit to death and the easy targets already found. that's not to say that theres nothing left to find but it takes perseverance and downright hard work sometimes to find the good stuff. remember, sometimes the treasure is in the hunting and not the finds. :wink: if the actual hunting part is no fun, maybe another hobby would be. :)

Perhaps you should reread my post. Maryland sucks--not metal detecting.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I started my metal detecting career in Maryland in 1968 .. I spent a LOT of

DZNZ said:
Hey ppls,

Bought my Tesero about 5 months ago and started looking for spots (every weekend). Did a lot of research. Although MD is rich in history, seems like every square inch is owned by someone who would prefer you not hunt on their land.

The "open" historic spots are often riddled with large amounts of trash. Again, I have to ask: why won't the state gov let you hunt? They allow these sites to decay horribly.

I have searched a few parks, beaches, etc--and found very little.

At this point, I am a bit disillusioned to say the least.

I got permission to hunt (via the Parks and Recs manager) Kent county in its entirety. But, I have no idea where to start.

Anyone have any pointers? Anyone want to get together and hunt?

I am on the verge of selling what I just bought cos of this state.
joejoe

in and around Baltimore doing yard digging, and must say I was quite successful. Even though I live in Virginia now, I still venture to Baltimore to do some yard digging from time to time, and it still ranks among my favorites. I also do a fair amount of digging in northern Baltimore County. At any rate, I hope you find the New Year more agreeable to your endeavors .. Good Luck!!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
another place I'd check would be, the basketball courts in the smaller towns. They have a tendency to draw younger people for entertainment

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PATIENCE....... :thumbsup:

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been MD'ing in Maryland / Delaware for 30 years , especially the Eastern Shore. I've spent countless hours in libraries, courthouses, collecting maps, books, newspaper clippings, talking with "oldtimers" and researching and researching. Years ago it paid off, but today, most of the "old producing" or "newly discovered" sites are gone because of developing, becoming State property, or private ownership . . . and mostly by "yuppies" who do not want "their privacy invaded" or afraid you'll find something and take it from them. It's rare indeed to find a "hot spot" with access allowed that will make it worth your time. I used to willingly take friends and "newbies" to my spots. I also lost a lot of those spots because of these "friends" going back without me, or THEM not having permission. Lessons learned. As much as I would like to hook-up with others to detect on the Eastern Shore for comradery, I hesitate to do so for those reasons anymore.

Best of luck in your endevors in Maryland, hope you find that pot of gold.

SJA :-)

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
If ya can fend off the junkies,thugs & skanks.Carol park was good to me,I spent lots of time there & very seldom senn anyone M.D'in...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread