Well I did it, picked up a Whites DFX any tips

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I finally got a white's DFX, I need to tweak my machine and play around with the programs. So what do you DFX owners think of them? I love my At Pro but need to get a machine you can really specialize. Will never get rid of the pro though. Can't beat it's versatility, and with my Nel Coil and Grey Ghost head phones It has all the depth I need, so I think. Any way let me know what you guys think and are there any programs you really like and want to share.
Happy Hunting

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I finally got a white's DFX, I need to tweak my machine and play around with the programs. So what do you DFX owners think of them? I love my At Pro but need to get a machine you can really specialize. Will never get rid of the pro though. Can't beat it's versatility, and with my Nel Coil and Grey Ghost head phones It has all the depth I need, so I think. Any way let me know what you guys think and are there any programs you really like and want to share.
Happy Hunting
I to have just bought one.. and I can tell you the best way to get what you want is to learn the machine as every site is going to be somewhat different. Mine came with the book Digging Deeper with the DFX which I have only started to read. You really need to get hold of a copy, read and hunt, read and hunt learning what the settings do. There are lots of programs on different forum and a bunch in that book. I am not sure my machine is working correctly having some issue with an unstable threshold and it going nuts if the AC is turned up more than 70.. Sending it in for a once over to stop wondering..
The DFX can be run out of the box with the factory programs, but from all my research, you need to learn how it works and how the setting interact if you want to go deep. Much bigger learning curve than ATP or anything in the classes below.
BTW what did you pay and what did you get with it if you don't mind telling?

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got it from Fort Bedford detectors. Comes with a lot of books and pamphlets with programs and a couple of sets of programming cards. Was $475 shipped, and looks like it's in real good shape. Was trying to get one from EBay but wasn't happy buying from a pawnshop. Will post how it is when I get it.

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats.
You will be fine ordering from NB. Great communication.
I've not owned a White's, but a DFX may be my first too. Price is $575 in "near" new condition.
GL
Peace ✌

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot dang, I guess I got a darn good deal even after I pay for it to be checked and repaired if needed!
$560 with
DFX
950 coil
D2 coil
4x6 coil
1 extra lower rod and pivot.
2 AA packs
2 green Rechargeable packs and charger (one pack is bad)
1 Red rechargeable and charger (was rebuilt)
Gray Ghost phone (clean) with extra cable and adapters
Vibra prob old and used but functional as backup or for a partner using my other machine
Lesche and sheath
older 31" predator relic shovel
copy of Digging Deaper
3 Gear bags, screen cover (I think), some little find boxes, hat apron etc.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I have a DFX and really enjoy using it for the same reason as you; can tweak everything. The machine can go deep if set up properly for your hunting area. I would start with the coin and jewelry program and bump up the gain, AC and DC sensitivity. Use the low (I scrape the ground) and slow method. You will have to learn the tones and turn on VCO and ratchet off. Study the signagraph during the beginning stages to determine the good from bad. The machine does give a lot of information to the operator; so take your time.

Enjoy the machine.

Regards,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread