Well, I did my first attempt at roll hunting...

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to give this roll hunting thing a try. Not having a lot of money on me at the time, I bought $30 in pennies.

It was fun to go through them, and all in all, I ended up with three Canadian pennies and nine Wheaties. I found a TON of the new shield reverse pennies.

3,000 pennies gone through. My wife said it wasn't much of a return, but it was fun. So...was this a low return hunt or what? I am clueless. Thanks!

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on the years of the Wheaties you found. If you found a 1909 so VDB then it was an awesome hunt.
When you searched did you also hunt for errors? Do a Google search for Lincoln Center errors aND you can find some of ther more expensive errors. I have a search heat I handwriting of the years and mint marks of the big error coons I refer to when searching. When I find a coin on my list I make sure I carefully look at that coon for the error.

OP
OP
mrogers07

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one 1939 plain as the oldest, with the rest being late 1940's/early 1950's releases. nothing uncommon. Sadly, I did not check for errors, save for the obvious ones.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one 1939 plain as the oldest, with the rest being late 1940's/early 1950's releases. nothing uncommon. Sadly, I did not check for errors, save for the obvious ones.

Ithe sounds like you had a very average first hunt. I usually find 8-10 wheats per $25 searched. A good Web page to look at is Lincoln Center resource. Do a Google search for it. It will give you information on all the various varieties to look for. It also will give you what years are key dates as well.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like mxh5891 mentioned, that seemed to be a pretty average hunt. The site mhx referenced is a perfect resource to use for Lincoln penny varieties. Also don't forget to look for CAM/WAM error varieties.

Happy Hunting!
-TwoYewts

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually find a buttload more canadians than 3 but that's probably cause i'm a northerner and you are a southerner. I found 28 canadians in my last box with 18 wheats and about 20-30% copper. For me personally it would be a bad box but my boxes are apparently really good to average a wheat a roll usually.

I am curious as to what you kept besides the wheats and canadians, I usually stick my wheats/canadians in a baggie that didn't go in the books.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried searching cents awhile back. I'd typically find 3-4 wheats per $25 searched. 8 wheats in a $25 box was the absolute best I ever did.

Your results are certainly better than my averages, but only you can decide if its "worth it" or not.

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried searching cents awhile back. I'd typically find 3-4 wheats per $25 searched. 8 wheats in a $25 box was the absolute best I ever did.

Your results are certainly better than my averages, but only you can decide if its "worth it" or not.

I think most people who CRH quickly realize it's never financially worth it. The only reason we do it is because we enjoy doing so. I love history, PMs, and the thrill of treasure hunting. CRH is a combination of all that and I couldn't ask for more :occasion14:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
mrogers07: since you have an interest in pennies, have you given some thought about copper hoarding the 1959-1981 (1982 is partially included) just in case the USA goes off the penny standard as change. That could add some variety, but would eventually tie up money and SPACE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread