Well I made my first ebay sale with their "new and improved" ripoff fees.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I made my first ebay sale with their "new and improved" ripoff fees.

Well I made my first ebay sale with their "new and improved" ripoff fees >:( and ebay is rubbing salt in the wound. This is what shows in the fees page.

Final Value fee .68¢
Final Value Fee on Shipping .35¢

yes they do a separate billing for the shipping just to let you know it's their game and their rules. :icon_pirat:

It would not hurt as bad if it was just Final Value Fee 1.03

Ebay are you listining? :dontknow:
I am not going to lower my shipping charge just to make you feel better I am going to add to it to cover your new stupid idea. ;D

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Well I made my first ebay sale with their "new and improved" ripoff fees.

I started listing all my listings with fee shipping about 2 weeks ago. I have yet to have any sales on these items, but then again ebay sales are SLOW for me right now.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

famous turtle treasures said:
I started listing all my listings with fee shipping about 2 weeks ago. I have yet to have any sales on these items, but then again ebay sales are SLOW for me right now.
I started 28-29 auctions last saturday evening and one sold right away. Got several watchers on some of the others.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To whomever- Why do you use the buy it now feature? Wouldn't you do better listing it auction style with your buy it now price and see where it goes? Do you believe that people will not wait around for a week to bid? I sold a metal detector that I thought about listing for $225 buy it now because it was well used and scratched up, I described it as such. Instead I listed it for $179.99 and it ended up selling for $335 and had 76 people watching it. I received good feedback just yesterday. :dontknow:

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011

I have NEVER had success at auctions, but always GREAT success with buy it nows. i ALWAYS do them. i feel like people are more inclined to go look at something and secure it with buy it now then get all excited about and item and wait a week to bid... i know when i do my shopping i am looking at mostly 90% BINs instead of auctions... i want my stuff now. lol

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.

diggummup said:
To whomever- Why do you use the buy it now feature? Wouldn't you do better listing it auction style with your buy it now price and see where it goes? Do you believe that people will not wait around for a week to bid? I sold a metal detector that I thought about listing for $225 buy it now because it was well used and scratched up, I described it as such. Instead I listed it for $179.99 and it ended up selling for $335 and had 76 people watching it. I received good feedback just yesterday. :dontknow:

This is a tough one for me to answer... I started off with 90% Auctions, now its 95% Buy it now.
Heavy interest items, I'll Auction. I try and research best I can and decide. I find some people that want items, just don't check Ebay all the time.
As an situational example, I listed an item at $9.99 start and it should sell for $50 and it sells at the $9.99 or maybe not at all. (No reserve, scares people off). I list the same item as "buy it now" at $50 and it sells in a month.
Not always a win win, but for me "Buy it now" has been much, much better. I currently have 62 listed "Buy it now" and one Auction Style. Last week, while away in Florida I sold 12 items, they were listed from 2 weeks to 2 months earlier, most less than a month.

When I sell my V3I Detector (soon) its going "Auction Style"

I think "Famous Turtle" may agree and can expand on my answer.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It has been my experience that auctions do not bring the prices that the buy it now option does. Of course there always the exceptions, but they are very few and far between. If you rely on solid research and set your prices accordingly you will out perform auctions.

I would rather find 1 person that will buy it now then rely on a bunch of people to bid the price up.

Olivia11dancer is my influence for buy it now, she doesn't do any auctions. Look at her completed listings.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/oliv...dmd=1&_ipg=50&_since=15&_sop=12&_rdc=1&_rdc=2

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains

I have been selling a variety of items on Ebay for many years. I never wanted to pay the BIN fee, so I start my auctions at the price I want to get for the item, taking the fees into consideration (I know I pay a higher listing fee). That way if only one person in the entire Ebay world bids I'm happy (just like a BIN). If more people bid I'm even happier. This new system works great for me as I sell a lot of small, expensive items and offer free shipping. Now with no listing fees and since most people bid in the last minutes, I only do 24 hour auctions to speed up the turnover time.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

diggummup said:
I agree with you Dig an alot of the times I believe if it sells with a buy it now then you undersold it.....

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was wondering this as well, why not list auction style along with buy it now?

I am just getting back into ebay after a couple years off.
So would like to know all I can about best selling methods.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

krazyace said:
I was wondering this as well, why not list auction style along with buy it now?

I am just getting back into ebay after a couple years off.
So would like to know all I can about best selling methods.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think if you do both auction an buy it now your auction automaticly ends an soon as you reach your buy it now price ... no matter how many days are left on your auction... for example you have a 2.00 start bid an a buy it now for 200.00 with 3days left an someone bids 200.01 you auction is now over an u wasted money for days not used....

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida

Hmm, interesting, I always thought that once a bid has been placed, the buy it now drops off and the auction takes over.
Though I have never had one go all the way to the BIN price, so not quite sure.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bdxample said:
I always thought that once a bid has been placed, the buy it now drops off and the auction takes over. Though I have never had one go all the way to the BIN price, so not quite sure.
I think you are right. I have a lot of auctions going right now and all also have a BIN. If I remember correctly if someone places a bid the BIN dissapears and the auction takes over as if there was never a BIN. I am pretty sure I have had bids pass my original BIN. A pack of polaroid SX70 film come to mind.

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida

Hey cyberdan, how about an auction link or Ebay ID??

love checking other auctions, is one of my best learning tools

olivia11dancer

Jan 27, 2011

Yes, I used to run only auctions. I was listing 8-10 items everyday and shipping 8-10 items everyday. It was alot of work. I didn't feel that the money I recieved from my auctions out weighed the amount of work that was involved. Now I sell on ebay with BIN and I control the prices. I also started listing with free shipping. I have already sold some of those items. Since I am a top rated power seller I will now get back 20 per cent of the of the entire fee. Shipping fees were never included in that 20% discount. There are more advantages to free shipping that affect your performance numbers too.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used