apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went to my pick up bank to obtain my 1 box of halves. Last week I had ordered 3 boxes for the first time with no problems. Ended up having 15-64s--plus several 40%ers and was happy as can be.

Work overwhelmed me this week, so I forgot to call in to order 3 boxes. Instead, I knew to expect my weekly one box. That was just fine. When I went to the counter to pick up my box, the teller asked me what I had ordered. I said just the standard, "1 box of halves, 1 box of nickels, and one box of cents." I wrote my check for $625.00 and off she went to get the boxes. The teller returns with the halves, no nickels, and a taped-up $25 cent box. She says that "they" did not order my nickels. No problem and I thanked her. As I was loading up, the new branch manager comes over. He was a former teller. He informs me that he can continue to order my 1 halves box, but if I want 3, I will have to pay $20 per box. I about had a fit! And, he had all the tellers around me (they had all gathered together I guess to hear what he had to say to me). Needless to say, I felt a bit embarrassed. I am thinking about closing my account altogether. It was highly unprofessional. Thinking about writing a letter to the main bank. I felt like I was some type of bum. It was horrible. To boot, the cent box was taped together from some one else's dumps. They had alway given me a sealed cent box. I am almost 50 years old, a granddmother, and an educator of the young--guess I expected more respect--or at the least, some privacy in the discussion.
apush

Upvote 0

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
Hey, chin-up, ma'am.
I just found-out about the CRH thing, and am hoping that all goes well.
I've tried the 2 banks that I am a customer at, and they do NOT order half-dollar coins.
I was pretty bummed.
I'm still trying to feel around some of the other local banks, but haven't had the gumption to try it yet.
I'm here closer to the metroplex.
If you don't mind, what bank "closed" you down? That way, I can avoid that one. I am hoping to learn from you.

rf2304

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2010
apush said:
Today I went to my pick up bank to obtain my 1 box of halves. Last week I had ordered 3 boxes for the first time with no problems. Ended up having 15-64s--plus several 40%ers and was happy as can be.

Work overwhelmed me this week, so I forgot to call in to order 3 boxes. Instead, I knew to expect my weekly one box. That was just fine. When I went to the counter to pick up my box, the teller asked me what I had ordered. I said just the standard, "1 box of halves, 1 box of nickels, and one box of cents." I wrote my check for $625.00 and off she went to get the boxes. The teller returns with the halves, no nickels, and a taped-up $25 cent box. She says that "they" did not order my nickels. No problem and I thanked her. As I was loading up, the new branch manager comes over. He was a former teller. He informs me that he can continue to order my 1 halves box, but if I want 3, I will have to pay $20 per box. I about had a fit! And, he had all the tellers around me (they had all gathered together I guess to hear what he had to say to me) when he said this. Needless to say, I felt a bit embarressed. I am thinking about closing my account altogether. It was highly unprofessional. Thinking about writing a letter to the main bank. I felt like I was some type of bum. It was horrible. To boot, the cent box was taped together from some one else's dumb. They had alway given me a sealed cent box. I am almost 50 years old, a granddmother, and an educator of the young--guess I expected more respect--or at the least, some privacy in the discussion.
apush
This is just like any other situation in which people with authority abuse it. I am pretty much fed up with similar things happening to me and am about to start building discrimination cases against the banks that have tried to screw me as well. There will be no change unless we do something about it.

rf2304

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2010
Kauka said:
Hey, chin-up, ma'am.
I just found-out about the CRH thing, and am hoping that all goes well.
I've tried the 2 banks that I am a customer at, and they do NOT order half-dollar coins.
I was pretty bummed.
I'm still trying to feel around some of the other local banks, but haven't had the gumption to try it yet.
I'm here closer to the metroplex.
If you don't mind, what bank "closed" you down? That way, I can avoid that one. I am hoping to learn from you.
Exactly my point. Go into the bank and ask for $1000 in $1 bills and see if you have as much trouble getting them. It is discriminatory to be denied the right to order half dollars. They are legal tender and every bank that orders boxes of pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters has the ability to also order half dollars. Your best bet, unless you wish to stand up for your right to fair and equal banking, is to find another bank that is willing to order them for you.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
apush said:

Work overwhelmed me this week, so I forgot to call in to order 3 boxes. Instead, I knew to expect my weekly one box. That was just fine. When I went to the counter to pick up my box, the teller asked me what I had ordered. I said just the standard, "1 box of halves, 1 box of nickels, and one box of cents." I wrote my check for $625.00 and off she went to get the boxes. The teller returns with the halves, no nickels, and a taped-up $25 cent box. She says that "they" did not order my nickels. No problem and I thanked her. As I was loading up, the new branch manager comes over. He was a former teller. He informs me that he can continue to order my 1 halves box, but if I want 3, I will have to pay $20 per box. I about had a fit! And, he had all the tellers around me (they had all gathered together I guess to hear what he had to say to me) when he said this. Needless to say, I felt a bit embarressed. I am thinking about closing my account altogether. It was highly unprofessional. Thinking about writing a letter to the main bank. I felt like I was some type of bum. It was horrible. To boot, the cent box was taped together from some one else's dumb. They had alway given me a sealed cent box. I am almost 50 years old, a granddmother, and an educator of the young--guess I expected more respect--or at the least, some privacy in the discussion.
apush
No don't complain, it just draws attention to us, besides you can't win- they are after all in Biz to make money & they make nuthin off you; just go on your way & do NOT look back! There are Banks on most intersections in the Biz district find another. By the way I'm 47 nearing 8, 48 that is, it is strange to have kids call you (me) grandpa, though am not the kids are the wife's grandkids from her worthless son the State took them from and we will be raising them till now metastasizing Orwellin State takes them from us for teaching them the truth I figure.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
rf2304 said:
apush said:

apush
This is just like any other situation in which people with authority abuse it. I am pretty much fed up with similar things happening to me and am about to start building discrimination cases against the banks that have tried to screw me as well. There will be no change unless we do something about it.

Banks are private companies that can make policies, even if said policies are bad for CRHers. You will lose a discrimination case unless they have singled you out due to your race, religion, etc.

Due to the huge increase in CRHing in the past year, I anticipate more banks will charge fees or refuse to order or take dumps from customers.

Jim

rf2304

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2010
jim4silver said:
rf2304 said:
apush said:

apush

Banks are private companies that can make policies, even if said policies are bad for CRHers. You will lose a discrimination case unless they have singled you out due to your race, religion, etc.

Due to the huge increase in CRHing in the past year, I anticipate more banks will charge fees or refuse to order or take dumps from customers.

Jim
And no one sees a problem with that?

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obediah,
You are correct. Nothing I can do, except take my business somewhere else, but then I would loose out on that 1 box everyweek. The one box did produce 1-64 plus a 1989-S. That's it, but at least it was not a skunk.

What makes me really upset is that I pay my taxes, raise my kids right, work hard, and then I am treated in such a way. If they don't want my business, just tell me so!!! I would rather hear the truth than some bs line. I guess I am just disappointed that I would be treated in such a manner. That really got to me. Everyday I handle hundreds of teenage kids, their parents, and the community at large. I respect all of them and give them the old fashion common courtesy--guess I just expected the same back.

apush :-[ (sad by the way folks no longer feel the need for common decency)

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I'm sorry to say this is just the beginning. If it gets bad enough I will just stop and find another hobby.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Dont close the account, YET. if you do THEY WIN
Keep getting your one box a week.
Seek out another bank that wants your business, but tell them upfront what you expect/need, then move your business.
Then turn them into your dump bank, as dump banks are almost as important as source banks. RIGHT?
YOU ARE IN CONTROL.....NOT THEM
Just my opinion...HH Gayle

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
rf2304 said:
jim4silver said:
rf2304 said:
apush said:

apush

Jim

As a CRHer I don't like it, but as a business owner myself I would not have it any other way.

Why should a bank subsidize CRHing activities if it does not want to?

Jim

rf2304

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2010
jim4silver said:
rf2304 said:
jim4silver said:
rf2304 said:
apush said:

apush

Jim

As a CRHer I don't like it, but as a business owner myself I would not have it any other way.

Why should a bank subsidize CRHing activities if it does not want to?

Jim
I'm not trying to step on any toes here and I generally do just bite my tongue and go to another bank but this mentality facilitates oppression. Banks pay fees not only on coins but paper currency as well. If you were to take a few hundred dollars worth of $1 bills to a bank it would require the same amount of work to change that as it would to change $500 in coins. If people allow such discrimination it will get to the point where banks will refuse to cash personal coin collections or impose fees for doing so. I mean it's not like banks make enough money already I can see why they would refuse to provide a service that customers deserve. Considering that on a $250,000 mortgage the bank will STEAL over a quarter of a million dollars from the borrower in interest, I can't be the only one that thinks they are just abusing their privilege.

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
Politely asking you to lower your volume is one thing, but the manner in which they addressed you was totally uncalled for and disrespectful. It sounds like you have been going there for quite some time, and should be treated in a respectful manner simply for your patronage. The only thing you can really do is take the halves that they will still give you, and be the better person in the situation.

I go to a good number of banks (all which I have an account at) to dump coins, and the tellers are usually pretty snotty and disrespectful to me. This I am completely understanding of as to them I am just a pesky college kid that dumps coins. But I make sure that I don't let them get to me by always remembering that they are just unprofessional people (most without degrees), and I can't expect much from them if I am just being an inconvenience to their mediocre jobs.

As for my supply bank, they adore me because I always have a few good stories of me dumping large amounts of unboxed pennies at their competitors. :laughing7:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some tellers that find it amusing what I am doing, a couple that are borderline rude, no one has banned me. What I do is work a wide circle...Any one bank will on see me once ever 5 to 6 weeks. I usually carry a little black camera bag in which to place the coins. Sometimes I think to myself, boy if this place is ever robbed, Will I stand out with my ball cap and black bag?

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
They certainly could have handled that better. It sounds like they were worried you were moving into the monster CRH category and were put on the defense. To deal with this I have a number of source banks and they seem to fluctuate between being helpful and hating me :tongue3:. One will give me all I want while others limit me to a couple boxes and the next thing you know it is the other way around. I never pay a fee and am always working other banks just in case I lose one source and need a new one. I'd keep getting the one from them and who knows who will be working there in six months!

Maine_Jim

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Maybe I am missing something. In my opinion, I don't see where the bank did anything wrong. I don't see how telling you "out in the open" that there would be a charge on any future orders over 1 box is anything that would require discretion. I don't see how that is embarrassing. Now if you had bounced a check or overdrawn your account, that would be different. Again, just my opinion here as I certainly didn't witness it.

As a CRHer, I hate to see the trend of more and more banks beginning to charge for ordering and dumping. But, I cannot blame any business - in this case a bank - for not giving away something that is not free to them. Although, I would expect some courtesy from a bank if I had a lot of money deposited with them, or a mortgage/loan with them.

At any rate, this should be an easy fix. Continue to order the 1 free box from them, and find another bank that doesn't charge to order the other 2, or just find a new bank altogether. I have found that, at least in my little "neck of the woods", that the smaller "Mom & Pop" type local banks are MUCH friendlier (and actually want your business) than the national "chain" banks. May be much different where you are.

And for any bankers that might be reading, and I'm sure this goes for many other CRHers as well as myself, if/when it comes time for me to obtain a loan, mortgage, or to deposit my powerball winnings ;D , it will certainly be at a bank that supported my CRHing activities...even if the rates aren't quite as good!

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time for me too, bank told me they will start charging 11 1/2 cents per roll I know that ain't much but its the point . So I asked whats the charge to dump they said nothing as long as its not 10 bags at a time. Guess 8 is close enough to 10 but not quite. I ll just change banks from the one I buy to the one I dump.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush , try not to take this so personally , while admittedly it does suck (to use the vernacular)
this attitude on the part of the banks should not surprise us , they don't make a dime off of us
and we involve them in slightly more effort than they have grown accustomed to. I got the nasty
fee speech from Wells Fargo a couple of months ago - I took a walk - you will find other source
banks , perhaps you can set up with a bank that is just outside your town . Keep the faith and
persevere ! Argentium.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just go with the flow. Take what they will give and smile and say thank you. A business can discriminate on who they do business with or what kind of business they choose to do with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread