Well-Rooted Whatchamacallit

burgessbogy

May 15, 2012
I've gotten my 7-year-old into metal detecting, which makes me so happy. While digging around for records on my great grandfather's land recently, I discovered the first landholder was there in 1859!
So, we took out to the orchard and tried to stay close to the largest, oldest trees we could find. Grown up into two roots, we found this. Maybe a spring? A handle? Not sure. Whatever it is, it has been there for ages and ages, and it's large enough to ping on both sides of the tree. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437520318.229561.jpg

Upvote 5

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIG BOYS ! :)

Curiosity would have kept me there till I got it out...
Been there a LONG while.

I will await a post of it...
Whatever it is. heh

OP
OP
burgessbogy

burgessbogy

May 15, 2012
The more I ponder the possibilities, the more I talk myself into trying to get it out. Problem is, the thing was already half a foot deep. The tree has approximately 170 years there, so I think it's safe to assume the tree has all but consumed it.
Any suggestions on getting it out? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437527486.121176.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Explosives!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GETIT BOY GEETIT. I WOULD DIG TO CHINA SEE WHAT THAT ITEM IS. YES SIR HAVE TO GO DEEP AND COME FROM UNDERNEATH . I WOULD TRY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER , GOT ME CURIOUS TO WHATS LYING UNDER THERE.

OP
OP
burgessbogy

burgessbogy

May 15, 2012
@tylerbdad - He truly is. I value digging in the dirt with him more than he'll ever know.

@G.I.B. - Haha! Pecan tree go BOOM.

@Sutphin - it's driving me absolutely crazy!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting. You might could try using a water hose to break the soil loose. I have pulled tree stumps out using that technique.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like the hasp connected to a large chest....:3barsgold:

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure what I am looking at. Help this girl figure it out

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try using a small three pronged hand trowel, that always works for me. You might also try one of those long thin weeders, basically look like a long bar with two prongs at the end, which you could stick down and get underneath the object. And yes, water is a good idea, because it would indeed help loosen up the dirt. Once you've hollowed out a space under the object, try pushing it down, and pull it out. But really, don't give up, the suspense is killing me, I gotta see what it is!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread