Well, thanks Mr/Mrs coin dealer!

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
craigpcdmc said:
(mr coin dealers husband)

Some odd pair? Eh? That's really odd. I'd ask, because maybe some of his inventory got mixed in with a clad bank money bin. Dealers buy coins in lots, and any thing clad bought on accident is usually sorted out into a separate bin, that when full is off to the bank.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
When I lived up North (NEPA), there was a small coin dealer that I patronized. They used to give 40% as change. They used to round the transactions (to the customer's advantage) to the nearest dollar/half dollar. It was an easy gimmick and a polite thank you for your business. It brought back a lot of repeat business.

garbageman

Mar 20, 2009
Joliet, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Tesoro Tiger Shark
I've got a coin dealer near me that I've gotten Kennedy halfs (non silver), dateless buffalo nickels and wheat cents in change from. He does it to be nice to his customers and to get you to come back. -Garbageman

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I got wheaties back in change at the bank, which kinda translates into a coin shop. But unlike coin dealers, they probably don't know that they're giving out old coins.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Our local dealer hands out his type of change including Ike dollars. On a couple of coin collector boards I see that people will release older coins (IHC, wheats, buffs and V nickels) into the wild to promote coin collecting.

HH,
65GT350

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Maybe it is a strategy to get people to come back in. A novelty which peaks interest in their shop. Just a thought.

Golden Silver

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Same here, My local shop gives change in Ikes, buffalo nickels, etc. So I did the same and Paid him with $2 bills and a 2010 Shield Cent :laughing9:

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I read about an article on the internet that there was this person that would only spend "odd" money. For example, he would spend IH, buffalos, mercs, large cents, barbers, flying eagles, and a lot of other obsolete coins.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it all the time to screw with people

It is amazing how many people can not recognize U.S. currency

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Jeep said:
I do it all the time to screw with people

It is amazing how many people can not recognize U.S. currency

It is weird that I recognize the serial numbers of $2 bills that I have spent into circulation and then later pick back up from banks? :laughing9:

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
A local shop here always gives out uncirculated copper cents as change- just means they don't mean anything to him, nor ME as they go right into my coppers bucket. HH Mark

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
craigpcdmc said:
I don't know why but I think my dealer is turning up more silver and Wheaties then my rolls! When ever i go in to get some tubes, 2x2's or books, she, (mr coin dealers husband) gives me wheaties as change. Does anyone else get change like this?

Mine gives me one dollar silver certificates or the red sealed 5 dollar bills in change.
HH
Rich

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
He knows about it so there is no reason to say anthing to him. As others have already said he does it to "give a little bit back" in the hopes that it will bring you in for another sale. Even though we like to look for wheats these coins are pretty much worthless to a coin dealer. I have a local dealer who pays 2 cents for them and sells them for 4 cents. But in the grand scheme of things this is a paltry amount of profit so he would easily be better off using them as change for collectors to give to their kids or use in their own collections. Unlike us, dealers have to set thresholds on what is actually worth keeping. Otherwise they'd be overrun with everyone's shoe box collections which people want to get rid of but no one wants to buy. They can't afford to stock all of this worthless stuff.

It's like copper memorials. Many of us are going to great lengths to aquire them. But these coins are not even worth one cent to a dealer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions