Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that didn't work...

I heard on here from someone that you could stick 3 new nickels together and bury them. It suppose to pick up the same as a gold coin. That away you can figure out when you disc. too far and block out the gold coins. I tried it, but it gave off a perfect signal all the way around disc. I dont think that one works...

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Well that didn't work...

olekyground,That M-6 hits on nickels and gold at 18 LOW TONE! My own personal experence.After you have found a few you'll see it for yourself,Be Patient brother,it'll come to you.Always willing to help out another M-6 owner! God Bless Chris

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you mean that you could not discriminate the nickle out at full discrimination, you have a problem. A nickle or any number of nickles should give no signal once the discrimination is turned up past the nickle acceptance.
luvsdux

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

olekyground said:
I heard on here from someone that you could stick 3 new nickels together and bury them. It suppose to pick up the same as a gold coin. That away you can figure out when you disc. too far and block out the gold coins. I tried it, but it gave off a perfect signal all the way around disc. I dont think that one works...

Lead bullets sound exactly the same as gold nuggets. Lead curtain weights, sound exactly like gold coins. If you can find lead, you can find gold coins. :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

3 nickels stuck together? Well a few comments: a) to get the combined TID of all 3 nickels stuck together, make sure they are stuck together tightly, so that the machine doesn't see them as separate targets. Ie.: tape them together very firmly tightly bound. b) me thinks that is going to mimic a $5 gold piece (which is above single nickel, but below corroded zinc. It's about 47-ish on the White's scale, for example). c) other gold coins, like a $1, and a $2.50, will read differently, of course.

I think the reason someone has told you the 3 nickels idea, is probably because the $5 gold is the most commonly circulated/found denomination of gold coin. When you read of gold coins being found, it's usually a $5. I've found 12 gold coins, and 6 were $5's, for instance.

So contrary to the common belief that if you knock out low conductors (foil, tabs, etc...) you will miss a gold coin, this is not the case, unless you're talking about the smaller gold coins ($2.50 and $1's). The $5 will actually hit quite nicely, up above square tab, for instance.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you want to know how a gold coin reacts with your machine, you will have to get real gold coins to test or rely on the test numbers from other people. Trying to rig up makeshifts may or may not give a similar result.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread