Well, that explains a lot...

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't posted in a while, nor have I had a chance to read up on what you guys are up to these days -- or see any of the cool crap you're pulling out of circulation -- so maybe you all knew this, but it was news to me...

I work at Collectible United States (USA) Mint Coins | GovMint.com and we had two guys come in for job interviews today. They both had Garda (or however you spell it) shirts on, so I pulled them aside just to chit-chat, and apologize for being the guy that always fills their bags. They looked at eachother and said, "I'm guessing you haven't found much in those bags, have ya...?" Of course, I told them that we're on almost a 30 box skunk streak and they just laughed. They told me that they are allowed, and actively encouraged, to pull the silver coins that come into the facility. As long as they replace it with a clad coin, they can just pocket it. Seriously.

They said that everyone does it there.

So, if you're pulling skunks from Garda boxes, you may want to find a new place that has Loomis deliver...

*** SO pissed right now ***

Upvote 0

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their messing with you. Trust me. These places are under extreme watch and there is no way they could possibly pull silver coins out of bags and replace them with clad unless someone was there actively checking to make sure they were replacing the proper amount. You make it sound like there just walking around a warehouse and opening bags and pulling coins out and managements impression of this is they will replace them? Lmao when is the last time in the world someone has been left alone with tons of money and allow to do whatever they please with it just because there a real nice guy? Those places don't even allow clothes with pockets. Keep ordering you have nothing to worry about. I can't count how many times a coin supply employee garda, Dunbar, says that they pull the silver only to get loaded boxes the following week. I'm guessing these employees walk around with pockets full of coins just for replacement . To funny. HH

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone trying to eliminate the competition in their area... lol

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they are messing with you. Maybe not. I wasn't there but I doubt two guys, on a job interview, made a coordinated effort to lie to you. I know most here still think it's "noob philosophy" to conclude courier facilities are allowed to pull silver. I believe in isolated places/situations, silver is culled before it makes it to the bank. I know for a fact that two Brinks facilities near me are run completely different. These facilities/couriers are not cookie cutter. Some facilities are owned and/or managed by banks and operated (to some degree) by the courier. Some of the major banks have their own facility and basically do everything in-house except for delivery.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just talked to a guy that works for Garda. He told me that anytime anyone asks about them pulling silver or CRH that they must always say "They are allowed to pull any silver they see" line. This way they stop encouraging people from CRH. They really do hate carrying all those large bags/boxes of coins around.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just talked to a guy that works for Garda. He told me that anytime anyone asks about them pulling silver or CRH that they must always say "They are allowed to pull any silver they see" line. This way they stop encouraging people from CRH. They really do hate carrying all those large bags/boxes of coins around.

I suppose people who work as electricians should hate splicing wire and people who work as firefighters should hate helping people. It's their job to carry heavy bags and boxes of coin, it says it in the job description. Not to mention they use carts.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose people who work as electricians should hate splicing wire and people who work as firefighters should hate helping people. It's their job to carry heavy bags and boxes of coin, it says it in the job description. Not to mention they use carts.

You do realize that CRHers are an annoyance to banks and workers who drop off the coins. I know I would get tired of bringing carts and carts full of half dollars to the same bank every week. They might have carts, but they still have to lift them onto the truck and lift them onto the carts. It might be in their job description, but they don't have to like doing it. I know I have lots of things about my job I tolerate.

Not sure why you are bringing up electricians and firefighters. I am sure firefighters hate some parts of their job as well as electricians.

The point I was trying to make was that Garda drivers are not going through coins and taking out silver. This story comes along every few months and its always started by somebody who is just trying to scare off others from searching for silver. People are just looking for reasons why they get skunk streaks. The reason you get skunks is because they stopped making silver coins in 1964 for most coins and 1970 for 40% halves. They are constantly making CLAD coins so of course when you have a limited number of silver coins and increasing class numbers then you are going to be finding less. CRH is all just luck of the draw and volume.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do realize that CRHers are an annoyance to banks and workers who drop off the coins. I know I would get tired of bringing carts and carts full of half dollars to the same bank every week. They might have carts, but they still have to lift them onto the truck and lift them onto the carts. It might be in their job description, but they don't have to like doing it. I know I have lots of things about my job I tolerate.

Not sure why you are bringing up electricians and firefighters. I am sure firefighters hate some parts of their job as well as electricians.

The point I was trying to make was that Garda drivers are not going through coins and taking out silver. This story comes along every few months and its always started by somebody who is just trying to scare off others from searching for silver. People are just looking for reasons why they get skunk streaks. The reason you get skunks is because they stopped making silver coins in 1964 for most coins and 1970 for 40% halves. They are constantly making CLAD coins so of course when you have a limited number of silver coins and increasing class numbers then you are going to be finding less. CRH is all just luck of the draw and volume.

From my experience working at a facility, it is possible they "can" do it. All they need is some tape, and a few extra clad half dollars in their pocket before making their trip. BUT, i think guards dont really care much about silver coins, they got a lot to do and thinking about the next score is not one of them. So 99% of them are not doing it.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I brought up fire fighters and electricians because splicing wire and helping others is a daily routine just like carrying a bag of coin. It's not some aspect of their job it's what they do all day. These threads just crack me up. People need to stop being so gullible when they are told things by word of mouth. Anyone ever take critical thinking in college? It teaches you to question everything and find facts not just throw in the towel and say yup they said so, so it must be true .

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I brought up fire fighters and electricians because splicing wire and helping others is a daily routine just like carrying a bag of coin. It's not some aspect of their job it's what they do all day. These threads just crack me up. People need to stop being so gullible when they are told things by word of mouth. Anyone ever take critical thinking in college? It teaches you to question everything and find facts not just throw in the towel and say yup they said so, so it must be true .

You and I are the same side of the argument.

OP
OP
T

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Certainly not the responses I was expecting. While I do enjoy being called a liar, gullible, "insert super-rad burn here," my intent here was to simply repeat what I was told, because... Wait for it... I thought it would be helpful.

My bad.

All you smarty-pants, know it all, silver mavens can carry on with your uber skillz -- the rest of us will just have to satisfy ourselves with the scraps you leave over. Cheerio!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly not the responses I was expecting. While I do enjoy being called a liar, gullible, "insert super-rad burn here," my intent here was to simply repeat what I was told, because... Wait for it... I thought it would be helpful.

My bad.

All you smarty-pants, know it all, silver mavens can carry on with your uber skillz -- the rest of us will just have to satisfy ourselves with the scraps you leave over. Cheerio!

Nobody was calling you a liar. The workers were more then likely the ones lying.

OP
OP
T

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody was calling you a liar. The workers were more then likely the ones lying.

Ya, but how can I be a victim if I don't cry harder than anyone else...?

Sometimes I should just not type what's on my mind until the next day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread