well the ohio mailman came on friday while i was at work - now i have the mumble

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it all started like on tues. or wed of last week.

i feel i must share this with u.

u remember the gold band i found for the fellow from ohio, well, like 3 weeks had passed and i had not received by ups charge he said he would pay - $8.64, so i called him up and asked him what was up with that.

max with the mumbles big time :( :(
julymailman1lgg.jpg

julymailman2sm.jpg

Upvote 0

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i know what i want to say, but i won't,,,,,, so ,, you did a good deed and did as you told the man you would do,you kept your word. who knows in 10 years you might get a check, are on the other hand you just might see the guy again on the beach there one day, and then say you remember me,,, haha

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Max, you are the man and I for one am glad to know you through this forum. What comes around goes around so sometime, you will indeed receive what you deserve buddy, tenfold I would bet.

At least he was kind enough to write you and just not leave you hanging.

Congrats to you Max!! Thanks for giving it up because it is the right thing to do.

Smiles!
BDoo

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
sounds to me like you were just expecting the postage to be repaid and not a reward......i can totally understand money problems but the guy shouldnt take it out on you.....just send the shipping costs back and then if he still wants to send a reward ..do that when he can

just my take on the situation
Marty

BTW....excellent job on returning the ring

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing Max. He will forget about it I'll bet. But you still did the right thing in returning it to him.

I was stiffed out of a $500.00 reward once by a doctor of all people.

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Give these people some time you never know how things are going to turn out.

It kind of puts me to mind of the story I heard about a young man desperately in need of a loan. The only person he knew with any kind of money was a young model. She lent him the money but when the loan came due he could not pay here back so he so he gave her several hundred shares of stock in his fledgling company.

That young man. Bill Gates
That fledgling company. Microsoft.
That young modal. A founding stock holder in Microsoft and multimillionaire.

Have no idea if the stories true.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Max I'm missing something.
I thought I read he sent you Something ?

"here is the money I have saved so far"

Although the Letter is a little disappointing
in the way some of it was phrased,
If you got your postage back your ahead of the game.

IF the reward is important to you,
Have Faith.
I once found a Wallet that was lost for
many years by a College studen't then.
He was an Adult in his 30's when I found it.
no money. He told me in an EMail he would
send me a reward to cover Postage & a Thank you.

Didn't hear back for over a year, & forgot all
about our Conversation. (Of course I didn't care)
one day a package came with a Civil War Mini Ball,
and a long letter, reminding me of what it was about.
as a Think you. I was very surprised and impressed.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what I find strange is how Teachers always Claim
poverty.
I know other then the Government & State Police,
They are the Highest paid people around here.
With the Highest Benifits on top.
I know he said TEMP so maybe I'm wrong in
their case.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Max, you're still a saint in my eyes

I think the letter had a little bit of martyrdom in it. We can all understand being broke, we have all been there at one time or another. But not being able to come up with 9 bucks to repay something like this... I'm a bit skeptical.

Hopefully, you'll get a check in the mail with an apology for that letter. And if you never do, you still get a serious boost to your KARMA. And sandman, that goes for you and the doctor too - you get credit on your Karma card, he gets a deduction.

steve

ps... and I don't know if anyone else noticed some of these things in the letter.
- if she is a teacher, why did she need 3 days off in a row to go to the beach on a weekend?
- If she gets paid every 2 weeks, then why did he wait 3 to send the check?
- Is he not working this summer?
- and my favorite "I scraped up enough money for gas and offered to take them down and back working it out so they wouldn't have to be inconvenienced in any way" - how would they be inconvenienced? are they not married anymore? did he have to arrange some special schedule? sounds a bit fishy to me

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I agree with you Steve, I read those same statements, and thought hmm, they had enough money to have a mini vaca. 10's of thousands of dollars for college, but not $10 for a guy who went out of his way to return their most sentimental artifact. This is why many rings aren't returned. The last 3 rings I returned, after spending my time and money finding them and mailing them back, did not even produce a Thank you. Oh well. Just thought a simple thank you would be nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread