wells, beware!

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
more than several times i/we have searched old sites and found an open well. screech! brakes. folks left, died, whatever and left open wells. i'm no doctor (paramedic, yes) but that has got to hurt or worse. when you are in your own little t.h. world you don't always look for perils. i don't. if you go down and live it could be a b..... to get out. hope you have a buddy or are really good at rock climbing. i was t.h.ing at a drained resevoir and had to climb the side of the dam to acsess the old swim hole. sixth trip and i got nosey. i almost walked into a 150' shaft to the dam(damn) bottom! new shorts. it had a ladder but, 150'! poor detector. it was wide open times 3'. be careful friends.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Yup , I have found many old dug wells around old house sites . A lot of them are also uncovered .
Pays to pay attention where you're stepping . I climbed to the bottom of a dry dug well once & didn't
have any problem climbing back out . It was walled with rock . Wouldn't want to fall in one though .

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
watch out for mine shafts too :o

Attachments

• mine.JPG
    mine.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 267

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's open & I can see it that's OK by me. Stepped on a septic tank access hole that had two boards & about an inch of dirt over it. Broke through, ripped the seat of my pants & pulled a groin muscle doing the splits. Killed the rest of my day. Just glad nobody was around to see my sorry butt gimpin back to the van ;D Could've been worse could've gotten my boots gooed :o

George W

Greenie
May 16, 2008
Very good point!!! Thank you!! it's easy to get cat up in the moment and not think of safety!! George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread