granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my lunch break today I headed back to retrieve the rest of the Chinese coins. I filmed my experience, but the hole got out of hand. So much fill and garbage. Too embarrassing to reveal! Anyway, out of the hole I only got one more Chinese coins, and 4 more bullet shells (short and long, 22 I think).

I meandered around the rest of the back yard but it was really really junky, lots of garbage and fill. In the front yard I found a wheat penny. I have to clean it up to find the date.

While I'm nervous about hitting the curb strip (busiest road in town, and not sure how Kosher it is) there's about 4 feet by 50 feet of lawn between a wall and the sidewalk. I was out of time (had to get back to work) but I decided to dig a signal before I left. I got an iffy 11/42 and decided to keep going. Then I got a really solid 12/46 a few feet away. I dug and as expected it was a quarter. Modern though. I went back to my iffy signal and dug. Out came a... nail! No, that can't be it! So I pinpointed again and got a hit. I wiped away the dirt to reveal the sweet glimmer of silver. Yay! Got a nice 1916 Merc, my first silver of the year. And the same year as the KGV penny I found.

I looked up and a cop was starting at me from his car. I waved and he motioned as if to say, "What the &#%@?" I walked over and explained the story of my permission again, and he said, "Oh yeah, I remember reading about another report from the weekend." By this time though I was already late in getting back to work, so I dug just one more hole and got another dime... modern.

I'll be back to scour that strip!

2-22-13-musa-coins.jpg

2-22-13-musa-merc-reverse.jpg

Upvote 5

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Merc! Soon you'll be on a first-name basis with the entire police force!

It's funny, I got a detector in December (after not having one for years) and on my first trip out found a silver Roosevelt. I've been out countless times since and have found civil war bullets, old buttons, nice rings (including one worth around $400), and quite a few wheaties. But no more silver coins! (Well I guess I should count the two war nickels I found...) Anyhow, happy hunting!

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Merc! Soon you'll be on a first-name basis with the entire police force!

It's funny, I got a detector in December (after not having one for years) and on my first trip out found a silver Roosevelt. I've been out countless times since and have found civil war bullets, old buttons, nice rings (including one worth around $400), and quite a few wheaties. But no more silver coins! (Well I guess I should count the two war nickels I found...) Anyhow, happy hunting!

Yeah, I haven't found tons of silver coins either. I guess that's what makes them a very special find! I've never found any gold, but I'm digging more foil and pull tabs, so it'll come (I hope!).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread