Went for a hike looking for "obsidian mt." and found these.....

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....we were lucky to find it once & call it "obsidian mountain" because it covers the whole hill side in a sheet like layer. But...we couldn't find it this time, it's like "Brigadoon"...lol...sometimes you can find it other times not. But did find some pieces of it in the wash...it's light greenish and there's also some light brown, but didn't find that.
DSCN8731.JPG

...saw this pretty "rock" hill side and also some volcanic cliffs....also found some bear doo...but didn't take a pic. of that!:p
DSCN8699.JPG DSCN8702.JPG

...then came home and found this large rock...which is ? So....it was a fun day.:)
RSCN8261.JPG RSCN8259.JPG

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JLeonhardy.....thanks for the advice. Don't have any idea if where I found it is a greenstone area? But it is "glassy" that's why at first I thought it was some kind of obsidian. It doesn't scratch very easy but I did hit a piece with a hammer and it breaks in glassy layers/splintery way....does that help?

FSCN0822.JPG ...a picture of the part I hit with hammer on the left.

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That roundish rock on the right. Is that the general shape of the rocks with the glassy on the inside?

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be alluvial actinolite if it's serpentine associated. Likely olivine/peridot if it's volcanic 'bomb' formed.

The latter would be a very nice thing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JLeonhardy.....that roundish rock on the right is different, it's rough feeling on the outside. The one we've been talking about is smoother feeling on the outside but jagged when broken. Both are glassyish though. Maybe I should "hammer" the round one & see what happens?:dontknow: I will look up the "alluvial actinolite" & see what it looks like. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
kat... Wow, what a difference in appearance and possible identification, the smashing of the rock made! Once I saw the pic of the smashed rock, I said that to myself, "hmmm, it looks just like Kyanite Ore" and I believe that that is what it is. I am sorry that I mislead you to believing that it may be Smaragdite with Sapphires sticking out of it! I am almost certain now, that is in fact Kyanite Ore with probably small Jasper stones sticking out of it. It is possible that the small stones are brownish/red Sapphires but highly doubtful as they do not have the sheen of Sapphires and appear semi-glossy or semi-dull (whichever you choose to use) and really appear to be small Jasper stones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kya...oAA&biw=1350&bih=512&dpr=1#q=kyanite+ore+pics

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Thanks for that info. huntsman...I'll look at the "Kyanite Ore" link you added and see if it fits. Don't worry about "misleading" or getting hopes up...I just want to know what it is! I think you're right about the pebbles...they do look like jasper stones to me to! When I was looking at what others said it might be, the closes pictures that looked like it so far had been "serpentinite"....so we'll see...thanks again!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Serpentine is a mineral "family", serpentinite is a mixture of different "family members".
Eaither is pretty easily scratched with a knife, so if what you have isn't, then its something else.

Research Rhyolite, which I THINK can come in greenish tones to. Of course it can also be obsidian or a jasper to. Although the way it broke looks "wrong".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
huntsman...I looked at the Kyanite ore pictures but it looks a bit different, more green on grey stone. Mine is more mottled/cross hatched looking kind of thing. I'm sure it's hard to really tell from just pictures. The Kyanite looks greener. You are so nice to try & help, so thank you! :)

Eu...I'll look at what you suggested and even do another scratch test, maybe I didn't press hard enough, we'll see....thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to add this....Eu I just went & looked up "Rhyolite" and of course it's related to volcanic rocks/glasses. Well...found what's called "Rhyolitic Flows" and looks like this maybe what this rock is from! Maybe the "Obsidian Mt." we found is a Rhyolitic flow and that's why we though it was "obsidian"....they are related. So....Eu maybe you got it! Thanks for putting me onto that! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, Obsidian and rhyolite are commonly related. Rhyolite usually is not as shiny as obsidian, and harder. Rhyolite is about the same hardness as quartz. That means a knife will leave a metallic line on it.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
huntsman...I looked at the Kyanite ore pictures but it looks a bit different, more green on grey stone. Mine is more mottled/cross hatched looking kind of thing. I'm sure it's hard to really tell from just pictures. The Kyanite looks greener. You are so nice to try & help, so thank you! :)

Eu...I'll look at what you suggested and even do another scratch test, maybe I didn't press hard enough, we'll see....thanks!

Shucks...I tried! You are right, it is hard to tell from just pictures but also hard, as I am still an amateur when it comes to identifying some rocks and minerals. I got interested in Gems, Gold and Silver in 1995 after moving back to Tennessee with my job. I was a quick study through the early 2000's but lack of travel funds and not finding any exceptional specimens after all the hard work I put in, my interest trended off more to Gold. Finding this site (Treaseure Net) has spurred my interest in Gems, other rocks and minerals again.

Take care and the best of luck on your future Gem and Rock hunting jaunts!

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu....hummm..took another look at the rock in question...while it is seemingly hardish on the outside....once it's broken it does flake off in pieces & that makes it seem not as hard as the obsidian nodules I find. And while it's shiny (wet looking), it is in "spots", not consistently everywhere. This is making me question the "Rhyolite" now from what you said about it. When I use a knife on it hard, it will leave kind of a mark & make some dusty stuff a little......so...?...still :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
huntsman...hey...don't leave me yet...lol Now I'm sort of questioning the "Rhyolite" thing (see my post to Eu). And don't put yourself down on not being an expert yet...you know more than me! Gold eh? Wish I could find some of that...! Have you actually found some? And again, thanks for the help! :)

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
huntsman...hey...don't leave me yet...lol Now I'm sort of questioning the "Rhyolite" thing (see my post to Eu). And don't put yourself down on not being an expert yet...you know more than me! Gold eh? Wish I could find some of that...! Have you actually found some? And again, thanks for the help! :)

kat... LOL!! Hey, I haven't left! I am watching this Thread to see if any other analyses of the rocks are posted. I also check this forum frequently to see what other rock specimens you post as I find most of them beautiful, cool and intriguing.

Yes, I prospect for Gold and yes, I usually find a little bit of Gold every time out. However, it seems that most every time that myself or a friend and myself start getting some decent Gold (i.e. small Pickers), something always happens to screw things up. To give you and idea as to what I mean, I leave the following: Quite a few years ago while prospecting on an LDMA (Lost Dutchman's Mine Association) Claim and starting to get some small Pickers, a Black Snake and Copperhead came floating down the stream where we were working, fighting a death fight and ever since I can't get my friend to go back. Also, my secret spot where an underground stream flows through an eroding Volcanic Pipe and flows into the stream where I prospect and produces Gold, was pretty much destroyed by the 2010 Flash Flooding and my secret spot now sits under several tons of overburden and not to mention that a large male Cougar has taken up residence in this area.

You could prospect and find Gold in New Mexico as it has long been found in the mountains there. If you have interest in doing so, then research Gold producing locations in New Mexico, purchase some equipment, watch some of the many videos about Gold Prospecting and panning that are on Youtube and/or Treasure Net, then go out and try your hand at it. I will warn you, that Gold prospecting is really hard work and although most times, you get very little Gold, it is still beneficial to you by just being out there and it also relieves stress. Just make sure to make proper preparations and wear appropriate attire as there are usually Rattlesnakes, other snakes and critters where we find Gold.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story on your gold adventures & now you scared me out of gold hunting with the snake warnings...or...maybe that's your trick to keep us away from the gold...lol...kidding! Sorry about loosing one of you fav spots.:( We have cougars that come by here regularly, I have to check for tracks by the creek almost every day...one had a Elk kill hidden not far away. :O But it's just a "Big Cat" so not to worried....yet! Well, think I'll leave the gold hunting up to you guys...sounds like a lot of dirty, hard & scary work...unless they invent a "gold magnet"....:laughing7:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eu....hummm..took another look at the rock in question...while it is seemingly hardish on the outside....once it's broken it does flake off in pieces & that makes it seem not as hard as the obsidian nodules I find. And while it's shiny (wet looking), it is in "spots", not consistently everywhere. This is making me question the "Rhyolite" now from what you said about it. When I use a knife on it hard, it will leave kind of a mark & make some dusty stuff a little......so...?...still :(

Get the book "Rock and Rock Minerals" By Skinner. It'll teach you a bit about rocks and how to ID them, CC.
Check the mark under magnification. If it looks metallic - rhyolite.

The flaking can be explained by other geological phenomena like jointing and cleavage for example.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu...got my sharp knife and "sawed" a mark but it doesn't look metallic, here's pictures....so? lol Another thing I did notice when I broke it, on the inside there were/are spots that look wet/shiny...but just spots...weird?

DSCN1592.JPG DSCN1593.JPG RSCN1618.JPG

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That means the knife is harder then the rock. Serpentine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....ok then, lets call it Serpentine :icon_cheers:....I did think the pictures I saw of it (Serpentinite) did look the most like it. Thanks Eu and everyone for all the help with this one! :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread