Went hunting for the first time today....

philipjfry

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2010
And found a spot where my Ace 250 pinged a Silver Dollar. It kind of jumped around a bit from .25-1.00, but definitely seemed to be solid over a small area. What exactly does that mean...that there is definitely silver down there? :icon_scratch: The soil is fairly difficult to dig in, but I was planning on going back early tomorrow with some be. 6-8 inches seems like a major task in this harsh texas soil.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i hate to tell you this but it could be a coin what one i don't know but it will be ..a penny or nickle or dime or quarter or ect ect AND what i hated to tell you it could be a pull tab or a piece of iron........... I don't know why you did not dig it right then ??? ??? :dontknow: why wait and go back ??? :dontknow:

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 166
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 162
OP
OP
P

philipjfry

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2010
Blah. I certainly did give it a go the first time, but my little shovel wasn't much of a match for all the surface rocks out there. :violent1:

My confidence in actually finding something is quite low at the moment. I played around in my back yard and found nothing but a powerline (multiple times) running to the house and I think that's made me gunshy of going all out in this area. :-\

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
When I go hunting in a rocky area I use a frisbee to put the soil on. When it fills up I wave it over the coil to see if the target is in it or if there is something else that can be seen. If it is, find it (a pin-pointer is vital). If not, dump it near the hole and keep digging. You may have more than one target in close proximity and that is why you are getting mixed signals. Raise your coil an inch or two (keep raising an inch or two until you lose the signal) it and rescan the spot. If you start getting a non-mixed signal it will be the target that is higher in the soil. If the signal stays mixed the targets will be very close and you won't be able to separate them. Dig carefully, you could damage the coin while getting it out of the soil.
Happy hunting, let us know what it was...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions