Went in search of Civil War relics......

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this past Saturday. My buddy and I decided to head to the eastern panhandle of West Virginia where it is a little warmer and try and find a few Civil War relics. We hunted from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm and managed to hit three properties. We spent most of the day on two properties that were part of an August 1864 skirmish. We spent the last hour at what I believe was a CS Calvery pickert post based on all the ringtails that have come out of this little spot. We have pounded these spots pretty hard during the last 8 years or so, and the finds are dwindling, but it was a nice day to be out and we each found a few things. Anytime we can dig in January is a bonus!

P.S. i was afraid that I hit the dropped three ringer with my shoval, but I see that it must be a fairly recent plow strike because patina is forming.

Attachments

• 1-7-12 Dirty.jpg
    1-7-12 Dirty.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 681
  • 1-7-12 Clean.jpg
    1-7-12 Clean.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,262
Upvote 0

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_thumright:
Nice finds Steve! glad you were able to dig!
Keith

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good saves Steve :icon_thumright: ...I love digging ringtails...they are not a common find for most of my CW sites. Let's hope this mild winter continues. HH'ing!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice lead and brass Steve. Have you guys ever recovered any buttons or coins at these sites?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on being able to get out and do some digging! Those are some nice Spencer shells and several nice bullets, Congrats Steve :occasion14:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill D. (VA) said:
Nice lead and brass Steve. Have you guys ever recovered any buttons or coins at these sites?

Bill, I did find a Virginia cuff button on the site where I find all the Spencer casings. Over at the ringtail site, a young boy and his cousin found a beautiful coat size Virginia with a fair amount of gilt. They were using a Wall Mart bought Bounty Hunter. A couple miles down the road is a colonial site where I found a Continental USA button. I also found a CS tongue there - the only CW relic to come out of this strictly colonial site.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a pretty good dig in any month Steve :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread