Went on Vacation....Brought the Detector.....Got 16 Silvers!

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Just got back from vacation. Did a road trip with my wife to visit some U.S. National Parks out west.
Brought my detector with. When we were in Montana I was able to get in some detecting at some
local city parks in a few towns we stayed in during our trip. Some of the more productive hunting I
have had this year. Got in a total of about 12 hours of detecting and found 16 silver coins!

At 2 of the parks I hunted, the ground was rock hard as this area of Montana is very dry and they do not
get a lot of moisture over the course of the year. As a result a lot of the older targets were only 2 to
5 inches deep. The deepest target I dug at these two locations was only 6 inches deep. At the
third park I hunted it was along a small stream that probably floods in the spring plus they heavily
water this park. Here the older targets were in the typical 6 to 7 inch range and digging was easier.

16 silvers included: 1 1952D Washington; 1 1893 Canadian Dime (flat 3 variety); 3 Barber Dimes
– 1900S, 1901S (Key Date- only 593,000 minted), and 1908; 10 Mercs – 1918, 1919D, 1920D,
1924, 1927, 1939S, 1941, 1942D, and 1943S (2 of them); 1 1952D Rosie.

Other goodies included 3 Indians – no date, 1898, and 1905; an old elephant pin that was in the same
hole as a 1911 Wheatie, a 1924 presidential pin for Progressive Party candidates Robert La Follette and
Burton Wheeler (Wheeler was a Montana senator), a Minneapolis Honeywell pin, a 25 cent trade token,
a circa 1915 Butte, Montana electric railway token, and a circa 1920 Seattle Municipal Railway token.
Not pictured are 30 wheaties I found plus a silver ring.

It was fun hunting but boy was the ground hard at the two older locations I was at. I started cherry
picking high tones. The 1901S was only 2 inches deep. I am really glad I did not scratch it like I did
a couple of the other shallow dimes. I was really surprised a lot of these shallow coins were still there.
I had two people stop and talk to me that were dectorists. One guy uses an Etrac and I could see some
fairly fresh plugs that were actually his in the park I was at. Pictures of the good stuff below including
close-ups of the Canadian dime and the 1901S Barber.
004.jpg
007.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
nice snag on the 1901 s $$$$-- the rest were sweet finds as well.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats some AWESOME hunting my friend!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
WTG!!!

Make it look simple. Because it is if you get on the right ground!

I'm especially envious of the quality of the Mercs you pulled.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet digs Pat! That would be the highlight of my trip lol. You must have been north of I-80!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1924 presidential pin for Progressive Party candidates Robert La Follette and
Burton Wheeler (Wheeler was a Montana senator)
I found one a couple years ago in Norwood Park area. Same off center shape.

Congrats all those great finds.

I hope I do just as well next week in Iowa... My last trip out there, Son moved home and is working downtown now

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i didn't bring my detector with me to montana . but you did real good finding all those silver coins out there,wtg!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread