Went out to do some detecting 102 Year Old coin !

stilldiggin65

Nov 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to do some detecting after a long wait ! 4 months of freezing snow I was going stir crazy. Went to a local park in my neighbourhood. I know the park had been detected hundreds of times by other detectorists .

The ground in some spots where still frozen and snow still on the ground . I got a strong signal it was reading around the 50 cent mark on my Ace 250 . I pinpointed and started to dig was down around 5 inches and hit frozen ground but I new there was a target there because my pinpointer was right on top of it and was a solid buzz. It was all I could do to pry it out of the ground it was now in the bottom of the hole after checking the hole with my pinpointer again .
I scooped it out with my hand and placed it on top of the pile of dirt that came out of the hole . I thought it was a parking token but when I picked it up I started to shake after looking at a King George head which I new what it looked like because I've seen coins before with his picture on it before . I flipped it over and did not rub it because I did not want to scratch it with all the dirt and muck on it and on my gloves . The date on the Large Penny was 1911 . Here are some pics for you to enjoy .

I know that it has been about 5 years since a large cent has come out of that park by anyone in the club . Thanks for my long read it was great ! Always remember there is always something in the ground even if there has been hundreds of people detecting there .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never give up!! You never know what may be in the next scoop of dirt! Nice find!

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love it. Your willingness to deal with frozen ground was well rewarded.

OP
OP
S

stilldiggin65

Nov 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments . I just lost my pics have to get them back on for everyone to see .

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

Keep going back and trying different spots with different coils, swing speeds, etc. (different detectors if you have them) - that "hunted out" park will give up more!

HH

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Penny, you must be in or near Canada?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful penny. That would make me very, very happy. Congrats.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just goes to show you even the "hunted out spots" can produce. Great find. Hopefully the thaw is coming. We here in AZ can detect through the winter but the summers become unbearable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread