Went To A Hunted Area Behind Someone With High Discrimination - UPDATE

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
This morning I headed to a park where I knew there would be a lot of clad finds, only to get there and find some one beat me to it. Seems like they had their detector set to reject pull tabs and nickels. That didn't bother me because I was after the gold rings that might be there. All the signals I got were pull tabs, shredded aluminium, and nickels. I had to empty my pouch once because of all the junkque, but that was OK. I found 18 nickels, a couple ofdollars in clad they missed, and a really nice gold cross that weighs just under an ounce. . All I can say is thank you for not wanting to go through the effort of really looking, and being too lazy to dig the lower signals where the valuables hide. At least the park is cleaner and safer then when you left. This was one of my better nickel days, and I left with a smile on my face.

Attachments

• cross.JPG
    cross.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 258
  • cross.JPG
    cross.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Re: Went To A Hunted Area Behind Someone With High Discrimination

I am not sure how they could lay claim to your finds???
But hey, your gain, congrats on the goldie bud!! A one ounce cross sounds pretty meatie, wow and
wooowhoo!! Congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

MattNumistic

Apr 20, 2007
England
Detector(s) used
ACE 150

Nice story and a moral tale to boot!

I heard there is something called "notch-discrimination" on some metal detectors that allows you to avoid the worthless ringpulls and alu-foil whilst detecting the golden rings?
how does that work? Can you have it on a lower-level Mder like an ACE 150?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice detecting at the park. Many get lazy and turn up the disc. to not be bothered by lower conductive targets and only wish to dig silver coins. Still if they have the coil up to high off the ground or don't overlap the sweeps they'll still miss coins that are deeper than couple inches, even silver ones.

On using the ACE 150, it doesn't have a notch. Any detector that does can notch out the pull tab ring pulls, foil, will also not respond to 90% of the gold rings as they are of the same conductivity. Try it with different rings and pull tabs, nails, screw on bottle caps, nickels on a clean piece of ground and see what responses you get from your detector at different settings. Then remember them.

Good Luck.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The Tesoro Tejon has a descriminator 1 and a descriminator 2 that you can set at different points. Is that like notch descrimination?

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Re: Went To A Hunted Area Behind Someone With High Discrimination- UPDATE

Here is what you loose if you notch out pull tabs and nickels. Took it to a jeweler this morning and the results were, it came in a few penny weights under an ounce, and tested at 22+K gold. The tester only went to 22K. Sure may dig a lot of extra trash at those lowere freqs, but the rewards make up for it.

Attachments

• cross.JPG
    cross.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 266
  • cross.JPG
    cross.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 257

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe