Went to a new site close to the river,and almost caught some geese(Reply Posted)

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At least I found the leg bands that were put on the geese in 1949. I put three in the picture, but I found a total of eight, all were 1949 except for one that was 1945. Not to much found besides about seven little stainless ash trays. I'll post them with other finds as they come up. "I hope".Thanks for viewing....

Attachments

• Goose leg bands.jpg
    Goose leg bands.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 786
  • ID on band 1949.jpg
    ID on band 1949.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 795
  • ID on band 2 1949.jpg
    ID on band 2 1949.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 780
  • ID on band 3 1949.jpg
    ID on band 3 1949.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 786
Upvote 0
Re: Went to a new site close to the river, and almost caught some geese.

Nice find.... There are a lot of bird hunters that collect duck and goose tags...You did well!

The person that own the property collects them. I gave them to him to go with his collection, all I wanted was some pitures. He was thrilled that I would give them to him.

Very nice finds. I found a bird tag last year. It was a newer one. Not sure what it was from. Lost the tag and accidently erased the email about it.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:
KW

That seems odd to find so many in one place. Wonder why? :dontknow: Very neat finds tho!!

Nana :)

The woods I hunt in get a lot of birds. I send the tags back because I figure it helps them determine migratory routes, ranges, habitat issues, etc no matter the age. And I like the papers they send me telling me where they released the bird from. But that's just me. I can definitely see hanging on to them. ( I wonder if you can just submit the info on the tag and keep the tag itself? ) Never did find a cluster like you did. And I am sure your sponsor was really excited! Go and find some more!

Neat. Only got one or two of those. Not that common of a find up here. That was a good jesture giving them to the landowner. :thumbsup:

1949 maby we werent overpopulated with them. now the dam things are everywere making a huge mess. alls i can say is (chick chick) thats the sound of a shot gun. willy

You got that right Willy. Funny they stay here in Maine all winter now. It was rare just to see one up here anytime of the year not that many years ago.

Seven bird bands and seven ash trays - a wierd hunt. Sounds Twilight Zone-ish to me. :o

Those old bands are cool!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope you get seven silvers next time out there!

Since I am not an avid bird watcher, not a hunter, and not a very good treasure hunter, I would say you stumbled across a spot along the river where someone cleaned his/her birds. It makes sense to do this near some water (especially 50+ years ago). Either that or it was a sight where they used to catch and band birds (this makes less sense since at least one of the bands looks cut). Were the numbers consecutive? It might be an ornithologist's (I think that one is birds) pocket spill.

That is my expert opinion based on exactly nothing.

Fathead

The land owner has already contacted the Federal folk, and the Texas wildlife folks. He trying to find out if the paper work is still in the files on these bands. They were found by an old homesite close to the river. I would think that they were kill, and cleaned at that home. They were not broken, this is the way they were made with a little tab that covered the date, and info. Needless to say it was a very interesting find. Thanks for the comments, and viewing them.

maybe smoking killed the geese and i called my number in and they sent me a paper with the info on the bird i only got one and it wasent with my md with my winchester 20 ga.

Bird tags. My buddy chip found one a couple days ago :wink: :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back