NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only had a half hour or so to detect, and it is filled with trash! so no good finds with the detector, I did however find three intact clay beer bottles in a spoil heap. My camera has decided not to work, but I'll post some pics as soon as I get it figured out. the good news is no one seemed to care, or even notice that I was there. I think so long as no one is near the spots where work is going on, it should be no problem. I wanted to talk to someone there, but figured it would be best not to walk through their active area, and I think if anyone wanted to see what I was up to, they would have walked over.

The site is littered with bottle fragments, and pottery, I wish I had been able to get there and dig before they graded it, but I'll take what I can get!

Attachments

• P1030102.jpg
    P1030102.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 955
  • P1030103.jpg
    P1030103.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 955
  • P1030104.jpg
    P1030104.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 954
Upvote 0
OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oops, that ruler isn't really much help, they are 8 1/2 inches tall, and unmarked. Anyone want to venture a guess on age?

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe early 1800,s bottles look for the necks in a bottle book. I have missplaced mine or I would look them up for you HH :icon_thumright:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice beers! I found some exactly like those in a Civil War site, so they may be early. HH

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping some of the bottle guys might be able to help me out, so far I've seen dates from the 1840's to the 1880's. I don't know bottles very well and clays not at all so I'd love some help dating them.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ginger beer -the common heavy useage time frame was 1830 thru the cvil war era say 1865 /1970 --after the civil war it sorta died out in popularity but still could be "found" here and there till about 1900 -- often finding a batch of them can help one in find civil war era campsites --as it seemed to be popular item with the troops during the war. ----sutlers * (a camp following sort of travelling salesman) ofen sold it to the soldiers

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! :icon_thumright: that fits nicely with the age of the neighborhood that was there, now hopefully I can pull some good stuff out next time.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
NOLA_Ken said:
Thanks guys! :icon_thumright: that fits nicely with the age of the neighborhood that was there, now hopefully I can pull some good stuff out next time.

keep digging, there is better stuff to be had there, I think you just happened upon the trash pit

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Those are so kewl!!!! 8)

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike In Ohio said:
I'm thinking.....Early 1900's -1920's ? Not good with bottles :icon_scratch: Are there any marking on the bottoms of them? Nice Saves :thumbsup: HH Mike.

No there not marked anywhere, and I can't see any signs of a painted label or a paper one....

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went back out there today and got about an hour in before one of the construction managers walked over. He told us he didn't mind if we hunted the site, but said the actual owners might not be too keen on it. He also told us that there was a team of state archeologists on site and that if we were going to have a problem it would likely be with them. By this time all I had found was a bullet, and a bit of clad change, so we packed it up and went to the park instead to hunt some spoil heaps that I think were recently dredged from the bayou. Not much there so far, but I am hopeful it will produce. The hospital site is so full of junk it's not even funny, so much cast iron, and other scrap in the ground, I may try on a sunday when there are no workers around, but I think it'll just be dumb luck if I actually find anything there worth looking at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread