Went to three different banks, but none have half dollar rolls for sale!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd start doing some half dollar CRH, but the banks won't cooperate! I went to Bank of America, Citizens and Navigant Credit Union over the past couple of days. All three told me the same thing. They may have a few loose halves, but they don't have rolls of them. No demand from the general public, so they don't bother to order them.

So my obvious question is, where do you guys get them? EBay has them, but I would never trust an eBay seller who claims they are unsearched. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my BofA in NY orders 2-4 boxes a week for me. nuttin' wrong with loosies, got a bunch of silver just for asking from tellers at banks & CU's. build a foundation 1ST, then try ordering. say ya' got a grandson who likes halves so you want to start a collection & mention you will not bring the coins back. then find a machine to dump for free-- that's gonna likely require an account.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have to belong to the bank first...and then you will have to ask them to order boxes for you. A box of halves is $500. But you have to find a bank willing to order the boxes for you.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from VA. I order mine from Navy Federal Credit Union. BOA is very non-cooperative here. NFCU does things right thought...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure you don't take them back where you got them!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure you don't take them back where you got them!

Yup, I'm going to have to make up a chart of where and what I buy and where and what I cashed in! We have a lot of banks in a 10 mile radius, so I should be able to pull it off for quite awhile before they shut me down! LOL!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
As a no-account :laughing7:, and stranger, I've walked in to banks that were happy to order boxes for me.
Later, I set up accounts with multiple banks.
Every bank I've been with has ordered boxes for me, no problem.
Eventually their insane fees associated with 'maintaining' my account caused me to drop them all like a hot potato.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eventually their insane fees associated with 'maintaining' my account caused me to drop them all like a hot potato

Yup, banks love to rip-off poor people with endless fees. Account maintenance fees, overdraft fees and late payment fees are all geared towards giving poor people the shaft.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
You stopped at 3 banks, when I go hunting I will make a day of it and hit 30 banks, credit unions and grocery stores with branches inside. it takes a lot of time waiting in lines, but you just never know when your going to find that perfect roll, or pile of loose coins that will make you smile!!I'm retired and have time, so I make it a fun day. Stop at my one bank on the way home that always takes the loose coins and exchange the duds for folding cash. Never give up!

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to get boxes from a BOA every week for a couple years. Went back recently and asked them to order again and they refused. Getting harder to find spots that will go through the trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread