West coast hunting.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out the other day for a little beach hunt. Right when I got in the water had this lady waving me over. Asked if I could help find her mother's wedding band in about chest deep water. I said, I'll try, will there be a finders fee? ( let me know how you feel about being up front. If I lose something, and someone helps me I will insist on paying gratitude). She said how much, I said $25. She said yes, is there any ATM around. I said to myself I might have to settle with just Karma on this one. Silly me started hunting without a description of ring. I got a hit, and before recovery I asked her what it looked like. She said I don't know, then someone else in her family said it was silver color with diamonds. I told them I will need a picture or more details to return the ring.

I took my time, pulling penny and trash from the area.
Actually it was hard work with waves pounding me. I found a ring in that area, but it was gold in the scoop. I said to myself they said silver color. Assuming white gold or silver.
Anyway, approached them on the bank, gave them my cell phone number and they typed it into their phone. Told them to send a picture of ring and call me. If you can ID it, I'll be happy to return it.
I asked how long she been married about a year. Also I heard one stay it was covered by insurance.
Never got to speak to their mother she always seemed to be walking away. Never made a point to contact me to at least say thank you for trying to help. Now with no calls, and strange behaviour, I think things look and felt fishy.

To bad this is gold plated junk.
Anyway, still had fun, even if I wasted time. Hope I'm not to cold when the next folks call me over for help.
IMG_20160429_200514821_1280x720.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they don't know what the ring look like it's more likely it's not their. I charge $50, but I run a recovery service, with a State license. If I am at the beach and ask, I leave it up to them on what it is worth for me to find it for them

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't really understand your post. Why would someone come up to you asking if you can find a ring if they had no idea that the ring was lost? They had to of lost it or known someone who recently did... Then you found it in the general area mentioned and then you assumed they were lying? What gave you an idea that they were scamming you and how could a scam like that even work? I'm just curious

OP
OP
updownup

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really understand your post. Why would someone come up to you asking if you can find a ring if they had no idea that the ring was lost? They had to of lost it or known someone who recently did... Then you found it in the general area mentioned and then you assumed they were lying? What gave you an idea that they were scamming you and how could a scam like that even work? I'm just curious

JeepGold,

I know I might not have made myself clear. But I honesty think something suspicious was unfolding. Several ideas come to mind.

First, it was a insurance scam of somehow. Since they said it was covered by insurance while I was giving them my cell phone number. Mind you, never the mother. Just older kids in their 20s to 30s.

Maybe they call you over there and say they lost a ring I find one, and they say that is it.

I might not be the brightest crayon in the box but I'm not the dullest either. Someone will have to give me details prior to revealing the recovery.

I did not assume they were lying, the rest of the events pointed this way. If you lost something and you know a guy was looking for the ring that has yet been described and he provided his full name and cell phone to four different family members. They said I will call you Monday and provide you with a description. Never got a call, hmm suspicious again.

I seen the mother on the beach and she never made a effort to tell me her sad story or ask for my help. Hmmm.

None of the family members knows what the ring looks like and she was married a year ago. Hmmm.

Maybe they were at the beach and the hear another couple lost the ring in that area? Still their scamming. The ring I found above, was not a fresh drop had been in the water long enough to show 3 spots of discolor where the plating was thin.

I'm glad I found A ring in that area, because I think I handled it in the fairest way possible for both parties. Hell, I'm not creedy, I would have been happy to return the ring that is priceless. If they were raised like me they will offer a gift of appreciation. If not, I take the Karma. This was someones way of scamming not total sure me or insurance company. But I did not like the vibes, after my assessment.

Anyway, guys thanks for your comments. As I get older and the world gets darker I don't trust everyone and this has saved my life. If it walks like a duck, its probably a duck.

Last edited:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
check CL. maybe someone posted that they lost a ring in that area and these clowns were trying to benefit.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iVE HAD A FEW CASES LIKE THAT - ONE GUY SAID HE LOST HIS WEDDING BAND - I ASKED TO DESCRIBE - HE SAID
"IT'S WHITE THAN YELLOW THAN WHITE" - ASKED -"SO IT'S WHITE GOLD ON TOP AND BOTTOM AND YELLOW GOLD IN THE MIDDLE?"
HE SAID YES - WHEN I FOUND A RING I CALLED HIM OUT AND TOLD HIM - "I FOUND A RING...DESCIBE YOURS TO ME ONE MORE TIME.."
HE REPEATED WHAT HE SAID EARLIER - WHITE ..YELLOW..WHITE. I THEN SHOWED THE ONE I FOUND - WHICH WAS YELLOW WHITE YELLOW
HE SAID THATS IT - AND I SAID -"YOU SAID 3 TIMES IT WAS WHITE YELLOW WHITE" - I EVEN HAD HIM SAY IT TO MY GF
I ASKED WHATS THE INSCRIPTION HE WALKED AWAY ---IT DID NOT HAVE AN INSCRIPTION - BUT HE DID NOT KNOW THAT
...ON ANOTHER HUNT I WAS WITH FRIENDS IN FLA. - I FOUND A HUGE WHITE GOLD BAND WITH GOOD SIZE DIAMONDS
I FOUND IT EARLY FRI MORN . - I FOUND SOME OTHER GOLD AND SILVER THAT DAY TOO ...MY FRIENDS HAD FAMILY PLANS THE NEXT DAY
TOLD THEM I M GOING BACK TO SAME SPOT - LIFE GUARD HAD TOLD ME THAT WOMAN HAD LOST A HUGE DIAMOND IN THE SOFT SAND AND EVEN THOUGH IM NOT A DRY GUY - FIGURED I GIVE IT A SHOT AND THEN COOL OFF IN THE WATER - I GET THERE AND START GRIDDING WHERE HE THOUGHT SHE SAID IT WAS - HOUR GOES BY - AND A LATINO GUY SHOWS UP WITH AN UNDER $100 RADIO SHACK MACHINE - HE STARTS HUNTING BUT YOU CAN TELL HE JUST BOUGHT IT - NO SCOOP OR DIGGING UNTENSIL - DOESNT HAVE A CLUE WHAT HE IS DOIN - I KEEP DOING MY THING - I HAD SOME SILVER JEWELRY AND LOT OF COINS - HE KEPT CONCENTRATING ON ONE AREA - SO I WONDER IF HE KNOWS ABOUT THE DIAMOND RING - EVENTUALLY I WALK OVER AND ASK - DID YOU LOSE SOMETHING? HE SAYS"YES ...WHITE GOLD WEDDING BAND WITH DIAMONDS" - I SAY TO MYSELF -"CRAP...I FOUND HIS RING AND ITS HOUR AWAY AT THE HOTEL" - BUT I ASK HIM TO DESCRIBE MORE "JUST IN CASE I FIND IT" HE SAID HE WAS PLAYING FOOTBALL - AND IT CAME OFF - NOW RING I FOUND WAS LARGE - DONT THINK IT WOULDVE FIT HIS THUMB - SO I ASKED "YOU LOST IT IN THIS AREA?" - HE SAID YES ... SO I ASKED WHAT TIME HE THOUGHT HE LOST IT - HE SAID HE LOST IT LATE FRI. AFTERNOON- I ASKED HIM TO DESCRIBE IT AGAIN AND HE SAID LARGE WHITE GOLD AND LOTS OF LARGE DIAMONDS IN IT - SOUNDED LIKE THE RIGHT RING AND I ASKED ONCE AGAIN..."AND YOU LOST LATE YESTERDAY AFTERNOON?" - "YES"
I FOUND MINE AT LIKE 7AM AND IN WAIST DEEP WATER - BOUT 40 YARDS WHERE HE SAID HIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN - SO CANT BE THE SAME - EVENTUALLY I WENT TO THE WATER - WHEN A LIFE GUARD SHOWED UP - I ASKED IF HE KNEW OF ANY RINGS BEING LOST OF LATE - HE TOLD ME OF LARGE WOMANS DIAMOND RING BUT THAT WAS LIKE 3 WEEKS AGO AND LOT OF GUYS HAD BEEN THERE SINCE - AND I GRIDDED AREA REAL GOOD - SO ANOTHER HAD TO HAVE FOUND IT - THEN HE SAID ON THURS. A LARGE WHITE GUY WAS PLAYING FOOTBALL AND LOST HIS BAND - I ASKED IF HE LEFT A NUMBER AND HE SAID ...NO..HE WAS NOT A LOCAL. BUNCH OF PEOPLE GOT ON THEIR HANDS AND KNEES AND SEARCHED FOR IT - NO LUCK. HAD HE LEFT A NUMBER WITH THE LIFEGUARD I WOULD HAVE TRIED TO RETURN - BUT I TOLD HIM THAT "GUY OVER THERE DESCIBED A RING LIKE THAT AND SAID HE LOST IT YESTERDAY" WE COMPARED NOTES AND HE THINKS HE SAW HIM ON THURSDAY AFTER OTHER GUY HAD LEFT - DIGGING ON HANDS AND KNEES WITH HIS WIFE AND KID LOOKING FOR IT TIL SUNSET - SO THIS GUY WAS THERE AND HEARD OF THE LOSS - WENT OUT AND GOT A MACHINE THINKING IT WENT UNFOUND AND HE WAS GOING TO STRIKE IT RICH -NOT!
I HAVE A FEW OTHER STORIES BUT THESE WERE 2 OF MY BETTER ONES ON THIS SUBJECT
SO BEWARE - ASK FOR DISCRIPTION MULTIPLE TIMES - AND IF POSSIBLE HAVE SOMEONE NEARBY TO WITNESS WHAT IS SAID - ASK LIFEGUARD TO WITNESS IF THERE AND TO WITNESS ANY AGREEMENT MADE FOR FINDING IT IF THERE IS ONE - IVE NEVER TAKEN A REWARD YET - I BELIEVE IN THE KARMA THING AND ITS WORKED WELL FOR ME MANY MANY TIMES

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I KNEW A GUY THAT WAS HUNTING A SPOT - WAIST DEEP WATER - GROUP OF KIDS MAKING FUN OF HIM "HOW MANY PENNIES DID YOU FIND?"
FINALLY ONE OF THE GIRLS GETS TALKED INTO GOING OUT AND ASK HIM WHAT HE IS FINDING - SO MANY THINK WE CAN HEAR WITH HEADPHONES ON WHEN WE CANT AND OTHERS THINK WE CANT HEAR WHEN WE CAN - SO SHE ASKS IF HE FOUND ANYTHING GOOD - HE TAKES OUT A SMALL WOMANS RING WITH A SMALL RUBY LOOKING STONE IN IT - TELLS HER ITS 10K - SHE SAYS WOW - HEADS IN AND TELLS THE GROUP WHAT HE HAS - EVENTUALLY GIRL GOES OVER TO LIFEGUARD AND SAYS SHE LOST A RING AND THINKS THAT GUY HAS FOUND IT - LIFEGUARD GOES OUT - ASKS IF HE FOUND A RING - HE SAYS YES - HE ASKS IF HE CAN SEE IT CAUSE GIRL SAYS SHE LOST ONE - LIFEGUARD SEES IT AND SAYS THAT IT FITS DESCRIPTION - AND HE HAS TO TURN IT OVER - HE TELLS HIM WHERE IS THE GIRL - HE POINTS TO GROUP AND THEY ARE ALL GIGGLING - AND HE REFUSES - LIFEGUARD CALLS COPS - THEY PULL HIM OUT AND ASK GIRL TO DESCRIBE IT - SHE DOES - AND COPS TAKE IT FROM HIM AND HAND IT TO HER - HIM TRIES TO TALK TO THEM ABOUT IT ...THEY ARE LOCAL - SHE IS LOCAL - HE IS NOT - THEY TELL HIM TO HIT THE ROAD -NUFF SAID
IF SOMEONE ASKS ME IF I FOUND ANYTHING GOOD - I'LL ASK - WHY DID YOU LOSES SOMETHING GOOD?
I KNOW MOST GUYS SAY NOTHING - AND IF IM IN A BAD AREA - I WILL SAY THE SAME - BUT IF AT A FAMILY SPOT - I WIL SAY I GOT SOME SILVER AND GOLD IF I DID - BUT I DONT PLAY SHOW AND TELL ----I DONT MIND IF ITS ENCRUSTED SILVER & GOLD - CAUSE NO WAY ITS THEIRS - BUT NEVER WITH THE NEW STUFF

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep some people will tell you they lost a ring just hoping that you will find one and turn it over to them, I would say nothing and if I ever did try to find one for somebody I want a detailed description and they should be able to tell you if it's 10K or 14K ect. and what color gold it is. HH

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When asked if I found anything I just say 2 pennies and laugh. Never tell or disclose your finds. It's asking for trouble as in the above.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When asked if I found anything I just say 2 pennies and laugh. Never tell or disclose your finds. It's asking for trouble as in the above.
I had a time I was hunting a Cape Cod beach - my gal an I were first there and I jumped in with my PI Pro (so this is pre 2007)
within a few hours my gals blanket was surrounded by many - there was a large group of "adults" just behind ours - like 4 couples
I was doing pretty good for 2 hrs - had 2 gold under my belt - all of a sudden I had serious coil flop - when I lifted it out of the water - found that
I had worn thru one side of the coil attachment- normally my day would have been done but luckily I had just gotten a used CZ20 as a back up.
I had not played with it much - but at least I had something to use - walked back to the blanket to tell my GF I had to take a break to swap machines
...she could see it dangling. As I approached she was shaking her head and rolling her eyes - and it was not because of my damaged machine - the couples behind her had been making all kinds of fun of me while I was in the water. They did not know I was with her. They clammed up but were still giggling
and smirking as I sat down. She leaned over and told me in a nut shell things they were saying - she said she had to bite her tongue.
I glanced over in their direction and then showed her where coil had worn thru. I pulled 2 gold bands out and placed them in her hand and all of a sudden
they all started to whisper and crane their necks trying to see what I had found - I told her "they're trying to see what I handed you" - don't tell them anything
or show them. I went to car and swapped out machines - came back - suited up glanced at them and headed in again. After a little while I guess they finally asked my gal "does he really get anything good doing that?" - She just said "yup" - she was actually wearing like 3 diamond rings that day I had found in the past. Curiosity was killing them now. One of them asked , "did he get something good earlier?" She said "yup"
I had pulled 2 more golds and a silver with the cZ20... and the tide was coming in so I was about done - I looked to my girl and could see them leaning her way and talking to her - they apologized for things they had said so that she might open up about my finds. She held them at bay as she saw I was working my way out of the water. She did finally show them rings she was wearing telling them that they were past finds and they were ooo'ing and aaahing. As I approached...they were all wide eyed like little kids at Xmas and anticipating seeing my riches. I got to the blanket and positioned myself so they could not see what I was taking out of my pouch.
I still had my headphones on and they thought I could not hear their whispers. I looked at my gal and smirked. They were asking each other..."what'd he get?" "I cant see" - Finally one of the guys asked "So'd you get anything good" ...I said, "just a bunch of pennies like you thought I was getting" Then they all kind of said sorry and that they did not realize that detecting was a serious hobby - for most - and that there were goodies to be found. So I gave in and showed them the 4 gold and then the other items and they were amazed. Then they were offering us drinks and asking if we were interested in getting lobster rolls cause they were making a food run. I played Q&A for a while with them and enlightened them on the hobby a little. So this was one time I just gave in and shared - I just had to rub their noses in it...and lucky for me - I had a good day to do it with.
here is pic of finds for that day - I use this pic to show people when they ask - what machine is better?
I used 2 different machines this day under the same conditions and they both did about the same - I think I would've with what ever machine I used here
Targets were all within 6 ins - soft sand - no rocks.. pretty calm water. Now in another spot - things might have come out different.
I have always for the most part said its 33% the machine - 33% the user and 33% luck. - You don't always need all 3 but you got to have 1.
Ive seen newbies with crap machines and not know what they are doing walk on a beach and bang a nice diamond and then they think its so easy ( most find out its not) and Ive gone out with yrs of experience and a good machine and gotten squat plenty of times - no luck.
So here's wishing you all - Lots O Luck

OP
OP
updownup

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will use caution when being approached. If I feel someone is sincere I will try to help. If not, I will not give them my time. Good luck everyone and Happy Hunting.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Last summer I'm at Hampton Beach, NH about 10:30am. I'm hunting dry sand and it is getting really hot. A young woman (20's) come up, points at my AT Pro and says "Can I borrow that?" I said "Uh, no... why did you lose something?" She says "Yeah, I lost my car keys last night right around here somewhere" and makes a sweeping gesture towards the parking lot. I try to get her and her friend to pinpoint where they came and sat in the sand last night. I start hunting and see a couple of roaches on top of the sand (now I know what they were doing out here last night) and find the usual assortment of flip tabs and bottle caps, but no keys. After 20 minutes of hunting, with sweat pouring off me, her friend says to her "Hey, didn't you have your keys on the bar last night?" Young woman #1 says "Oh yeah, maybe I did" and the two wander off without so much as a "Thanks". Still had a great time.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread