western NC legends?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
MOSTLY Silver Mines in Western NC, EASTERN Tenn., & SW VA; Cherokee GOLD; HH! GOOD LUCK! "Google" Silver mines in WESTERN North Carolina... Cherokee GOLD in WESTERN North Carolina. :coffee2: :hello2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything from the wars or bootleggers or outlaws treasure that's never been found is there a book on this stuff.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been looking but most places are protected can't find any info on outlaws or bootleggers.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of historical sites

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Great advice already posted, I would only add that the old newspaper archives are a GREAT resource for researching lost treasures and lost mines in your area (or anywhere for that matter) there are several newspaper archives available online free, and a few that are "pay" but in my opinion the best for the whole country is the Library of Congress archive of news articles, here is the linkee:

Chronicling America « Library of Congress

You can narrow your search to North Carolina, or to a specific newspaper if you wish, and the search function is not perfect so you can expect it will make a few mistakes, but overall it is a great source for detailed info on lost mines and lost treasures. I hope this helps - and I want to say a bit HOWDY to my long-time amigo Reb!

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek. :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In one of your "posts", you stated something about seeing weeds in your own back yard (looking out your kitchen window); get some "experience" by cleaning up and MD'ing there... MY "sense" is that you will find something of "interest" there. Let us know... BTW, The "Gold Belt" of the state of Virginia extends to YOUR part of the state of North Carolina; WESTERN NC is LOADED! HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean experience by locating ghost towns and learning to read Topo maps why i need to know what county office would have maps and locations listed.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Google" US Geological Survey Office in Western North Carolina... the FEDS know EVERYTHING! COULD get NCGS Asheville Regional Office to help for Mineral Commodity Files; ALL Topo Maps I have ever used came from USGS. In Virginia, my "fave" 3-D Topo Map is of the Roanoke, Va. "District"... for Blue Ridge Parkway, Beale Treasure, and SPEC Mines near the BRP; FOUR! Two mines closed & sealed by Feds, and two not recommended for "exploration"; along AT in Bedford/Roanoke Counties in Virginia. If you can... hike the AT (Appalachian Trail) in YOUR area!

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will check it out but is there a local office i would like to buy a map to carry around.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ONLY the FEDS! I had to go to Roanoke, Va. for mine... 60 miles or so West. They show you how to use it, etc.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would the register of deeds be of any help my barber recommended it, going to try for Mortimer again when i get time first general store we came to told us we were there and everything is gone turns out we were just at campground Mortimer above it, I'm guessing they misunderstood us.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Moretimer, NC was just a temporary "camp"; even Wiki has info on Moretimer, N.C. HH! Good Luck! BTW, in Treasure by Location Sub-Forum: North Carolina... Gyspy Heart has WONDERFUL info with "pics" of Moretimer, NC LUMBER CAMP; check it out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen it where i found out about it edgemont above it still think a good place to look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread