Western Oklahoma Knife

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
I know that for some of you seasoned pros, this is small potatoes, but it's the one and only of my collection. This piece came from a location north of my traditional stomping grounds. Rather large bite of the "handle" but otherwise, fair condition. Very sharp, and a flint color most consistent with Alibates although I don't frequently find much in the way of Alibates of this size.

Attachments

• CusterCounty2.GIF
    CusterCounty2.GIF
    312.5 KB · Views: 410
  • CusterCounty3.GIF
    CusterCounty3.GIF
    108 KB · Views: 372
  • CusterCounty4.GIF
    CusterCounty4.GIF
    515.3 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
You knew I'd drool over that one :D How big is it? I actually found a broken one, a scraper or blade, or preform, that I think may be alibates. even though it's broken, I like it. Some day, I will find a complete one in that material. Thanks for the look!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc
Like they said it is spectacular! Did you find that while on your hiatus? Its a framer for sure. I have never found anything made of alibate. You done good !! :notworthy:
Thanks for sharing that find. What is the size I was never good with the archie black and white bar??
TnMtns

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a very nice piece docman,thanks for the peek, jamey

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Thanks for the nice words, gang.
NG, it's about 7" (~18 cm) from point to point. Tennessee, I'm not big on using the centimeter scale either, but I was gently admonished once by one of the OU archaeologists for not providing scale with my photos so I made a few and try to remember to toss them in. The piece came from up north of Arapaho, an area I rarely ever hunt. I noticed a few more of these on random sites on the internet which also came from northern Custer county. I typically hunt the western and southern edges of the county. Clinton, Oklahoma (my home town) is pretty much on the southern edge of Custer county. Alibates is very common in this area as the principal quarry is north of Amarillo, which is about three hours west of here (175 miles). Apparently, it was traded heavily in this area. I frequently hear from folks back east that they rarely ever see it. Any time you want a bowl full of it just let me know, and I'll cover you up in flakes and broken pieces. I do, however, think it is one of the more attractive materials. Josh and Jamey, thanks for your kind words. I've learned a little more about creek hunting, and hope to happen on to a few more pieces before harvest gets here.
Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread