SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any issues with wet ground detecting, in fact I think you gain a little depth when the ground is damp. Digging your plug shouldn't be an issue, just muddier. Are there specific concerns that you have?

OP
OP
D

dave46

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Musketeer XS pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at this and oh yes I will have concerns. Now that I am retired I plan to take my old unit and spend more time detecting, so the questions will start. I try to find a thread on the issue before I post.
Thanks for your help

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there is a thread on this but I can't find it, what are the does and don't on detecting wet ground? After the rain has stopped do you pack up and leave?
Thanks
David

huh?! Pack up and leave after the rain stops?

I personally don't like hunting in the rain unless I'm on the beach and getting wet already. Hunting in the turf during rain is of no extra benefit, you need the water to soak down into the soil first and that can take from a few hours to a few days depending on the soil type you have. Wet/dry hunting both have advantages and disadvantages. When the soil is moist (not wet as in mud) you can get a little extra depth on targets and plugs heal quickly. When soil is dry, the iron halos shrink so finding coins next to iron becomes easier, but the digging is harder and plug die easily.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My personal rule on wet ground is Get Out And Hunt Before It Dries! In some soils it will increase your detection depth.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In ground so wet a plug hole fills with water , my detector reads copper as iron! Could be the mineral content of the areas soil in play?
So ...I dig iron signals in squishy conditions if no coins are turning up.
Did pass several before figuring it out though....

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In ground so wet a plug hole fills with water , my detector reads copper as iron! Could be the mineral content of the areas soil in play?
So ...I dig iron signals in squishy conditions if no coins are turning up.
Did pass several before figuring it out though....

hmm. Never had that happen with my detectors. I love mucky old shorelines, but haven't noticed the detector being off on signals.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You gain more depth in wet ground. Also better conductivity and easier to dig. I give it two thumbs up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread