Wet or dry soil?

M

mrmark55

I hunt in both wet and dry soil. You will find a definite difference in responses from you machine but I find just as many coins in wet soil as I do in dry soil. I live here in TX and the only real difference is you get mud on your knees in wet soil and dirt on your knees in dry soil.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I could try to explain it but,,,
Here is a site for the new Fishers Intelligence booklet, that explains it pretty well...
Goto page 16 of this pdf file under " Ground Moisture Content & The Halo Phenomenon "
http://www.ronsdetectors.com/downloads/fishintel.pdf
If your computers is like mine the pdf file will load slow, but after the first few pages it starts to load a little quicker...
The way I read it, is that the moisture in the ground can help, or hinder your detections, depending on what type of metals you are looking for...
Hope this helps...
Good Luck & Happy Hunting~

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great answer Leon!
I have found ground after rain is almost always better unless it is water-loggeg and you can see water lying on top of ground. You'll detect deeper and find more silver among other things.

By after rain, I mean same day or even next couple days depending on amount of rainfall.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Damp soil can give a better return to your machine and is easier to dig in! My .02 Cladius.

OP
OP
T

Texan

Well after digging around here today, one thing I can tell you is that I've been getting some WAY deep readings in this wet soil.
(found an old rusty thumbtack at about 10 inches). I can also tell you the soil here SUCKS. When its this damp it is like digging in chewing gum.
When it drys out a little I bet it'll be like digging in cold chewing gum. :-[

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread