wet sand versus dry sand

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not that you are getting stronger hits in the shallow water so much compared to the dry sand as there are more targets in the wet and they are more conductive. Also everyone an their brother can hunt the dry sand with anything that is called a metal detector so the targets are fewer.

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
perhaps you didnt understand the question...lets try again...i went over a section of beach that was dry at the time[ and got two hits] and after a time the tide rose up to cover the same area so i happened to go over the same area and there were alot more hits that i had not picked up on before...any thoughts????

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I have heard it said that the "wet" helps with conductivity and therefore the same target produces a stronger response when it is wet than when it is dry. :dontknow: but it sounds logical to me..

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
sounds good to me ralph

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captain ack1 said:
perhaps you didnt understand the question...lets try again...i went over a section of beach that was dry at the time[ and got two hits] and after a time the tide rose up to cover the same area so i happened to go over the same area and there were alot more hits that i had not picked up on before...any thoughts????

Sandman answered your question, maybe you didn't understand his reply.

Sandman said
Sandman said:
there are more targets in the wet and they are more conductive.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the second time you went over the area that was now wet, did you over lap all the sand when you went over it the first time? You only have to miss the target by an inch and you won't hear it till the coils field gets it. When the targets get wet they are more conductive too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a firm believer that unless your moving at a "snails pace" and your overlapping every swing by 50% (99% of us don't), your missing targets, this is the reason I love the larger DD coils at the beach.....You can cover so much more beach in half the time and still get good coverage. I can cover a lot of ground with my 15"x18" SEF Butterfly coil. If your using a concentric coil you cover even less ground due to the cone shape as it pentrates the ground.....

I firnly believe the beaches have hundreds of rings still buried everywhere, we just can't see them yet due to the amount of sand......

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter said:
I firnly believe the beaches have hundreds of rings still buried everywhere, we just can't see them yet due to the amount of sand......

Truer words were never spoken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread