wet suit repair

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I searched for this BUT didn't find anything. I know its here BUT.... anyway what wet suit glue is recommended and where does a person get that glue and some spare neopream to repair / strengthen ripped spots? I got a friend a wet suit that needs some repair and he lives wayyyyy out. I guess online may be the best way for him to get this glue and neopream .

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russ I have used this glue from Armadillo in the past Dredge Sales, Dive Equipment, Mining Supplies and Metal Detectors - ArmadilloMining.com. Many dive shops have scraps you can get depending on the size. You can call the shop and see if they even have some if you place the order.

I use to have a bunch of buts n pieces and I I would send you some but I dumped a bunch of stuff in the recent move. In fact, I just ordered this Iron Mend Flexible Fabric Repair Kit Scuba Diving Wetsuit Drysuit Black | eBay to extend my shoulder straps and it is suppose to be here today. I can keep you posted if would like

ratled

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EZ to do Russ-Trident Neoprene Cement- all dive shops carry and lasts longer than we do. All over the net-John

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not posted on T-net for some time do to some major set backs in my personal life that I have kept private. The friend that Russ is talking about is myself and I would like to take this time to thank Russ and every member of T-net for being Family in one way or another as time has gone by since I have been a member of T-net I have turely seen other members being unselfish and giving of themselfs to help better New members and members with less knowledge and Guidence in Prospecting and Minning. If I was to name names the list would take up to much of my post and I know I would miss some names. So I just want to say thank you to all who have shared your knowledge and thank you just dont say enough but its the best I can say.
I am not a man of great words to express myself so this will have to do.

Bill

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have repaired my surfing wetsuits 1000s of times.

Best things I have found that acts as a glue is the liquid rubber stuff you can buy at lowes/home depot. I usually sew the suit using fishing line and then put a bunch of liquid sealant on top of it. If you want patches/pieces of neoprene look on amazon and ebay its cheap. I don't bother with the patches anymore. Fishing line and/or just the liquid rubber is all I need.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use contact cement. on critical spots I'll glue, then stitch with a heavy duty thread
then work some more contact cement into that with a toothpick,
you can also glue on some seam tape to make your repair smooth.
your patches don't have to be neoprene, a regular patch with a least 75% polyester will work.
I used the 3M 5200 marine adhesive on my knees this year, worked great
that iron-on patch sound scary ratled, let us know how it works

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I that iron-on patch sound scary ratled, let us know how it works
I agree and I will use the wet suit glue from Armadillo Mining and sew heavily. I was thinking of using the material for the mod and save the iron stuff for a field emergency repair. Should work with a hot rock at the rivers edge.
ratled

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the McNett version of the Trident glue. It's a contact type adhesive same as the manufacturers use. It'll fix a tear in a half hour, unlike McNett's Aqua Seal urathane that takes forever.

The Iron Mend iron-on patch works well, but make sure it gets enough heat to make a good bond.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The iron on patches come off just use glue

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, you need the right amount of heat to get those patches to work. Then they're bulletproof.

If that hot melt adhesive doesn't get enough heat, it just sticks to the top of the fabric and doesn't penetrate for a strong bond.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread