Wet Sute / Waders

Gold Dog

Mar 4, 2007
Southern Md.
Detector(s) used
Tesoros - Stingray 2 / Whites Eagle 2 SL90 / Whites Clacic 3 / Whites 2db
Just wandering what you guys like the best? I am about to get started in H2o hunting as we speak an with Fall / Winter here soon i was thanking about getting a Wet suet or Waders? What do you prefer? For the conditions i may be if this will help is mostly Rivers & maybe the Ocean a few times a year. As i am Very new to this i am not to sure witch way to go. I looked up Neoprene Waders @ Bass pro an see they have 3.5 & 5 mm. Prices starting @ around $90.00 with the hard boot sole. Haven't checked on a Wet suet yet but i expect it to be Alto more $$. Not braking no Ice but may be able to stand the 40s-50s awhile.

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest you go with a wet suit. It's gonna cost you more, but it's worth it. Waders in the ocean are not a good idea. All it takes is one wave over and into the waders and things could get dangerous. In the river, say you step in a deep hole and those waders will fill up quick. Check with your local dive shop.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both waders and wet suits have their place. Saltwater beaches are safer when using a wet suit because of the waves and the warmth is nice for comfort when the waters are chilly. Freshwater lakes and rivers can be hunted with the cheaper cost waders, but you can only hunt out so deep and have to watch for stepping in a hole. A belt at the top will slow the flow of water down them. When using waders the use of a inflatable PFD (lifevest) is highly recommended.

Cabala's is a better place for the shopping for waders http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...'s'''''''''&_requestid=26098&_requestid=19753

You can also visit http://thegoldenolde.com/ to learn more on water hunting.

Good Luck,
Sandman

XT18000

May 26, 2008
I use a 6mm suite and love it when it's cold. Used it for dredging in northern
Calif. when water temps were in the in the 50's and up. Get the boots and glove's
also. If you will be in the water when the wind is blowing very much get a hood
also. If you weigh more than around 150# I don't think it will float you but if
you weigh less than that it will float you if you go in up to your arm pit's. After around
an hour or so you may get chillier if you are not moving much. Go to any book store
or good new's stand and get you a dive mag.; it will have all kind of ad's as to where
to buy one. I used several from Monterey Wet Suite's and they ran around $170.
Three mil is to thin for very cold water unless you get it big enough to wear HOT SKIN'S
under it = more $$$$

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
I hunt the beaches all winter. I use neopreme waders with one piece thinsulite long johns, I also put on a body glove shirt over my waders to keep the water from going in my waders. I use bemac trappers gloves and a good pair of insulated socks. I can stay in the salt water during a snow storm and hunt a good 2 hours. The thinsulate long johns and the socks are the key part to keeping me warm and of course a good wool hat.
LT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions