Wetsuit Advice

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm interested in getting in the water and doing some sniping this spring. My work offers us points with which we can buy items offered on a rewards site. I found a wetsuit but it is short legged and short sleeved and states because of the short legs and sleeves you will have an increased range of motion. Would this work for sniping? Or without the full leg or arm sleeves will i get too cold?
ZA245374[2].jpg

Upvote 0

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my limited experience I would say that you will get too cold. An extra piece of material down the spine is also desirable since when you move under water that is one place that the cold water gets to. The waters in California are very cold. Even in summer. And don't forget the insulated boots, knee pads so you don't wear a hole in the suit, and gloves to protect your hands from the cold and the rocks.

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will also need rubber boots to go over the insulated boots of the wet suit. To protect them. Other wise they won't last too long. Cut several holes in the rubber over boots just above where the sole meets the upper part of the boot. This lets the water run out when you get out of the water. Other wise you will have to stop and empty out the rubber boots every time you leave the water.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe for August, depends on the river. Wouldn't work at all on ours, not for working any length of time that is. Once your core chills your done. Start to feel it in the lower back and kidneys time to get out.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What thickness is the wetsuit? Where do you plan on using it- what water ways? Are you prone to be colder than most?

ratled

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be in Northern California, mostly on the North Fork of the American River. And I'm a sissy when it comes to cold water lol. This is the only info it gives:

Short-leg, short-sleeve wetsuitSoft, lightweight, four-way stretch Aqualite Flex Neoprene construction enclosed in nylon for a soft, smooth feelRedesigned side and lumbar flex panels allow natural movement Mesh skin finish on chest and back for added strength and abrasion resistanceZipper is 15% shorter to reduce water flowFlatlock stitched seamsRolled hems and cuffsLockout zip closure with a neck flap that reduces water flow to your backUPF 50+ protection**Our XPS Neoprene Spring Wetsuit is a flexible, comfortable, high-performance suit for swimming or snorkeling. Featuring short leg and short sleeves, this lightweight wetsuit is made of flexible, four-way stretch neoprene bonded to nylon jersey to provide warmth without sacrificing full range of movement. A lockout zip closure features a specially designed wraparound neck flap that keeps water from making its way down your back, plus a hook 'n' loop strap below the zipper to prevent it from sliding down. Flatlock four-needle-stitched seams eliminate rash and skin lines. UPF 50+ fabric protects you from harmful sun rays. The XPS Neoprene Spring Wetsuit also features a shorter zipper and rolled, hemmed cuffs to reduce water flow. Color:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be in Northern California, mostly on the North Fork of the American River. And I'm a sissy when it comes to cold water lol. This is the only info it gives:

The NFAR has been running @ 54 degrees F since the late 70's. With a ~ 1/4" thick beavertail full wet suit with hood and booties I would last for four hours till my body's core temperature fell and then I was done for the day. Stopping for 2 hours out in the hot sun and going back in does not work as the core is still too cold.

Short-leg, short-sleeve wetsuitSoft, lightweight, four-way stretch Aqualite Flex Neoprene construction enclosed in nylon for a soft, smooth feelRedesigned side and lumbar flex panels allow natural movement Mesh skin finish on chest and back for added strength and abrasion resistanceZipper is 15% shorter to reduce water flowFlatlock stitched seamsRolled hems and cuffsLockout zip closure with a neck flap that reduces water flow to your backUPF 50+ protection**Our XPS Neoprene Spring Wetsuit is a flexible, comfortable, high-performance suit for swimming or snorkeling. Featuring short leg and short sleeves, this lightweight wetsuit is made of flexible, four-way stretch neoprene bonded to nylon jersey to provide warmth without sacrificing full range of movement. A lockout zip closure features a specially designed wraparound neck flap that keeps water from making its way down your back, plus a hook 'n' loop strap below the zipper to prevent it from sliding down. Flatlock four-needle-stitched seams eliminate rash and skin lines. UPF 50+ fabric protects you from harmful sun rays. The XPS Neoprene Spring Wetsuit also features a shorter zipper and rolled, hemmed cuffs to reduce water flow. Color:

With a full length wet suit, a slick suit underneath sure helps to get the Thing off! Protection for the suit, like knee pads and the rubber boots with holes in them, are wise as once the suit is worn enough it can rip and its all down hill after that. I am of course talking about long hours spent in the water not in and out of the water and the NFAR is full of the things that make up a Sierra Mountain river, namely rocks/bigger rocks/boulders/sand, and all of these are abrasive. Then submerged sticks/one man to two man crosscut saws tend to snag and rip anything they get ahold of.

Likely the NFAR will not be flowing hard but anything above 150 cubic feet per second flow can trap a person in a wet suit against a rock and with the water flow coming directly at you it becomes hard if not impossible to get off. In rafting this is refereed to as "warping", a raft hits a rock then slides up the rock and then the water pulls it down into the water and it is good and stuck with all that water forcing it down, much higher surface area than a human body but just something to keep in mind.

IMHO, a full wet suit is a much better choice IF you are going to be doing this a lot, year after year and for many hours each time you are sniping.

Enjoy as the water and the NFAR are just beautiful..........................63bkpkr

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dredged for two months on the Yuba one summer. After 6 hours in the water I was done.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
you want to get a 7mm. a hooded vest helps keep water from going down your back. you will need a hood for sure. c list is a good way to get one super cheap. people practically give them away. if the water is 60 degrees or more a 5mm would work but most sierra streams are 55 degrees or less

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Full body wetsuit. If a listing doesn't tell you the thickness in mm don't bother. Hubby and I both wear 3-4mm but with hoods, gloves, water shoes etc. If the water is really cold go for a farmer John suit in 6 mm the doubled over layers will give you 12mm around your core. Knee pads are a must, and be sure to wear those vinyl coated work gloves over your wetsuit gloves as bedrock and gravel are mean shredders. For sniping none of this will inconvenience you, on the contrary you will be grateful for the protection. Once your back feels the cold be sure to come out, hypothermia is no joke!

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 7mill in early spring, 3mill in early summer (both full length) and late summer ive done without. A lot of un dammed tributaries that feed the Americans can get pretty warm in the summer to where a suit is not needed. (at least for me that is :)

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I ended up going with a 5/4 full body. I tried it out yesterday on the NFAR and it did well. Kept me very warm overall, only thing was the water trickling down my back which was ice cold at first but warmed up quickly. I will definitely be looking into getting a hood and some boots as my feet and head were chilly..i can live with that though, for now. Unfortunately no gold found underwater yet. My cheap snorkel i bought from wal-mart has a leak in it so i would have to come up every 30 seconds to drain the water. Lol felt like i was drowning all day long! So gotta get a new snorkel by next weekend for sure.

Yesterday i went to a stretch of river that was totally new to me. I think I'll do better sniping in areas of the river that I know a little better and then branch out to new areas. I'm eager to find my first sniping gold, will post when i do!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In cold water, hood, boots (with a good sole; those rocks can be hard on your feet when you're walking) and gloves will save your warmth needs and dramatically increase your comfort needs.

As others have said, get some good patching material as cuts will happen no matter how careful you are.

Paint your tools day glo orange so you can find them. Get a weight for your sucker bottle so it won't take off on you. Get a good quality crevicing tool.

All the best,

Lanny

Good luck with the sniping, and post some video or pictures of your finds please.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
speaking of crevicing tools, ive made some that work great and are super cheap. they are plumbing hangers. they are made of heavy guage wire and are u shaped with the ends bent to make a nail. you can find them at any hardware store and they work great. just straighten it out and bend one side over to make a handle. but paint them orange cuz the copper color instrument dissapears when you set it down.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good choice getting the 5-4 combo. There s also a 5-4-3 combo that is good. The arms are 3mil making It easier to move them around in, the legs are 4mil, and chest + torso is 5mil. If you want to protect your suit a little bit from getting worn fast, then you could get a pair of Carhart (the toughest) overall bibs to throw on over top of your wetsuit. The cool thing about them is that they are carpenter style, and have pockets for you to keep some tools with you. As others are saying, definitely get a neoprene hoodie, because it does not feel good when working in a current and cold water rushes down your back! Good luck, be safe, have fun

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a suit from tommy d sports. it's a farmer john suit. full length. 7mm top that has long sleeves. the bottom is 7mm also. it's made just for gold mining. suit, boots, gloves, and shipping was just over 200.00 the guy's down there super friendly did every thing to make sure I got the right size the first time And if you have an issue exchange no problem. go to www.tommy d sports .com check em out mysuit is awesome!

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We spend roughly 1000 - 1500 hours a year underwater, and do so throughout the year and varying temps.
Yes... it is sometimes snowing a bit and sometimes in the 90's.
We generally rely on 7mm full wetsuits.

Helpful Points.......
- It's MUCH better to complain about being too warm. Buy one that is over rated for the task at hand.
- If you get too warm in the summer, just open it up and let water cool you down.
- Wetsuits should fit you fairly snug. If you have AIR GAPS... in your suit they will turn into WATER gaps and the EXCHANGE of cool water
for body heated water makes you cold.
- Never dive without knee pads. it's a killer on suits and you can buy them at Lowes or Home Depot cheap.
- Buy fairly cheap wetsuits, you're WORKING underwater and you will wear them out 10 times faster than a recreational scuba diver.
- Buy a wetsuit hanger / dryer. They need to air dry quickly or they will stink and build up bacteria quickly.
- Always wear a warm hood. Your head needs the warmth more than just about anything and will make you come out of the water quickly.
- Always wear some form of undergarment under your suit. We usually wear slip suits made for this, but cold gear products for athletes work well.
Easier to remove and put on the suit and keeps nasty rashes away.
- ALWAYS shower well after diving with hot soapy water. Bacteria is a huge problem if not handled correctly.
- RESEARCH treatments and daily care for EAR ISSUES. it's a rather long and in-depth issue you need to read about.
We found that earplugs are not the solution.

Hope that helps.
Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions