Wetsuits

claytargethntr

Sep 20, 2009
Hello all
I got to do some beach hunting this summer in NC. Had beginners luck and a great time. Now I am up in northern Mn for a couple months and well the water is not as warm. I am thinking of getting a wetsuit. Looking for recommendations on what to look for. I see my height to weight ratio doesn't match their charts. So do you want bigger and looser or a little tighter. From limited diving I know they are a pita to get on so guessing larger. I am thinking 5mm for now. I plan to use it diving as well at some point

Thanks
Claytargethntr

Upvote 0

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now it is hotter than hell out here. I normally wear cut off levis when I hit the water. Thinking I don't want to drive home with wet pants I walk the beach til I dry. By the time I get home my thighs are chaffed and raw. Been thinking about getting a wet suit too. I just think after I have it on I will look like a pregnant seal. My concern is will it make me hotter? Don't really care about looking like a seal but I cover a lot of ground in a day. I know the water will cool me down but only half of me is in the water. Hope someone answers us.

OP
OP
C

claytargethntr

Sep 20, 2009
Lol a coworker and I were talking about the wetsuit and he said "man you are going to have to put some clothes on over that wetsuit when you go to the beach, you will look goofy". I said I plan to wear a speedo over the wetsuit and tie a towel around my neck. That should open the beach up in front of me.

Normally I just wear a swimsuit and tevas. Thought about chest waders, but even in waist deep water you are going to get soaked when recovering whatever. And it has already hit 32 here. And I want to be able to snorkel for deeper water too

Claytargethntr

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wetsuits are a must for water hunting. But yes...you can overheat in them...just dunk and fill suit with water. I wear T shirt and Swimsuit over it as well. Get one...make sure it fits and take care of it. You need booties and gloves too...imo. HH -Joe

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold fever pete said:
Thinking I don't want to drive home with wet pants I walk the beach til I dry. By the time I get home my thighs are chaffed and raw.

pete
i think most of us who have hunted in the waves have had chaffed and raw. i overcame it with tight nylon bike type shorts and then one day i discovered something even better.....UNDER ARMOURE.......drys super fast, light and blocks uva.

life has never been better except when i find a yellow ticket also.
f y i
good luck
in the winter i used wet suit for water hunting....(5mm), but i was always cold from my waist to head most of the time, since i did not get wet in that area most of the time. the last two years i have worn chest waders from cabelas.....light weight lined kind and bought a real good kayak dry top with tight rubber neck and sleeves.....the top is big and loose and can where warm clothes under it.

Attachments

• DSCF0122.jpg
    DSCF0122.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 263
  • underarmor1.jpg
    underarmor1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 264
  • underarmor2.jpg
    underarmor2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 260

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have two, a Scuba Pro 3mm shortie, and a Henderson 5mm...Both from Ebay..$65 n $179 (New without tags), By far the Henderson is the best and easiest to get into and swing for all day with water temps being chilly. From experience I recommend checking out a dive shop so they can fit you and give you a better idea for what you need in the conditions that you will need it for, you may pay a little more for it but comfort is the bottom line. The last couple years I have discovered the Drysuit, have 3 of those and all from ebay, 2 New W/O tags, 1 used. Lesson, used.... never again..................... If the water temp is below 70, Drysuit is what I wear..waist to neck deep,..It's very easy to be in the water all day when your having a good time and lose track of your body temp, plus getting out of the water and being dry in chilly or cold conditions is a luxury.

So do you want bigger and looser or a little tighter
You want it snug with no gaps, being able to lift your arms above your head, breath comfortable with deep breaths and being able to reach around from one side to the other with your arms with no problems.

pita to get on
Aqua Drysuit & Wetsuit Talcum Powder

Drysuits

Attachments

• IMG_2605[1].JPG
    IMG_2605[1].JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Msd900L.jpg
    Msd900L.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2605[1].JPG
    IMG_2605[1].JPG