Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We've Kept This Quiet Until Now: The Tenn. U.S. Williams Cleaner Camp-VIDEO

Last winter, a veteran relic hunter told us about a U.S. camp discovered in the 1980s. I contacted the landowner who had stopped all hunting over 10 years ago. I talked with him a few minutes and he said relic hunters had “covered him up”. I then told him that I appreciated his time and was pleasantly surprised when he gave me and the other Trio members permission to hunt.
After the Arkansas trip, I made 3 scouting trips to the large farm. I walked right in the middle of the field where the landowner said that relics were found. My first signal was a Williams Cleaner bullet. During the scouting trips, 40 % of the 52 relics I dug relics were Williams Cleaner bullets. The relics were only 5-8 in. deep. I didn’t tell Doug or Josh about the site until I felt certain that I had pinpointed the tent lines which I did on trip 3. Then, Doug went with me for 3 trips and we coaxed Josh into going this morning. Josh’s work schedule and other obligations do not allow him but a couple of hours of hunting daily after he travels to meet us and returns home.
Today, we met at the site to hunt and recovered 40 relics including Josh’s center to an eagle breastplate. The lack of many brass relics and the abnormal number of Williams Cleaner bullets is puzzling. Perhaps, a large box of cleaner bullets was brought to the camp instead of being packaged with each pack of 20 .58 cal. bullets as was normally done. The first pic shown on the red background are of my scouting trip finds. The 3 hunts with Doug are on the beige, light blue and green towel. Today’s Trio hunt is shown in the bottom pic. We will keep you posted on further finds. HH and Merry Christmas from Doug, Josh, & Quindy.

Attachments

• DSCN0868 (1024x668).jpg
    DSCN0868 (1024x668).jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 350
  • DSCN0885 (640x442).jpg
    DSCN0885 (640x442).jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCN0880 (1024x509).jpg
    DSCN0880 (1024x509).jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Gallatin 12-13 (640x412).jpg
    Gallatin 12-13 (640x412).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 307
  • 12-16-13 (640x486).jpg
    12-16-13 (640x486).jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 18

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another great video Quindy and some really nice relics!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Not hunted in 30 years and you guys are nailing it. Usually one williams cleaner makes a good day but that is ridiculous. Have never heard or seen so many dug. Great new site good friends and lots of relics. Congratulations Trio.
Merry Christmas.
TnMtns

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Q, after that haul, you're gonna have to change the name of the group to the TN Lead Trio! I can't imagine that many Wms. Cleaners in one spot. Way to go on a nice hunt! :icon_thumright:

:)
Breezie

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Q, you guys are really doing good at that spot! I like that breastplate and the WWII badge and that pin fire. Keep roaming around there and you might hit another hot spot. Did you thank D-Man for his service? It is hard to believe that there was that many relics left in that place as it has been hunted before. I always knew that there was some camps in Cairo, Tennessee. Congrats on all the cleaner bullets, I've never seen that many come from one place. I'm naming that place Camp Williams. :3some: (Tennessee Trio)

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff guys. Good to see the Tennessee crew tearing it up.:icon_thumleft:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, those are some great finds. Is it possible that the troop simply discarded the cleaners? I don't remember where I read it but there was something about the William's cleaners causing gangrene in the wounds of the soldiers shot with them so the use of them was curtailed. I am not saying that they were ordered not to use them but may have chose to do so on their own.
I don't even know of there is any truth to this or not but it could be one explanation for finding so many dropped ones.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am so glad that you all have the opportunity to hunt that site that had been off limits for so long. Their are several good sites around here that was over run by relic hunters back in the 1980's and 90's and alot of landowners are very fast with the Answer "NO" nowadays when asking permission. So many relics that need to be saved and preserved for Our American history but may never be recovered because of the answer no. You guys are doing Great and that many Williams Cleaners at one Camp is Amazing. Merry Christmas, Bill

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, those are some great finds. Is it possible that the troop simply discarded the cleaners? I don't remember where I read it but there was something about the William's cleaners causing gangrene in the wounds of the soldiers shot with them so the use of them was curtailed. I am not saying that they were ordered not to use them but may have chose to do so on their own.
I don't even know of there is any truth to this or not but it could be one explanation for finding so many dropped ones.
It's a mystery but it's a fact that the soldiers did not like them. Their purpose was to clean corrosive black powder residue from the barrel by the insert expanding and forming a tight seal. Some barrel cleaning could be minimized. However, that resulted in the rifle kicking badly. Since the soldiers already had the .58 cal. 3 ringers that were factory made, maybe they shipped the Williams Cleaners separately in a large quantity to that camp. It IS a camp as we have recovered large amounts of campfire lead. That's how i pinpointed the tent lines. Thanks for looking, Q.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Q, I know that the soldiers did not like cleaner rounds and that they would toss them away sometimes, even during battle but that place that you are hunting seems to be loaded with them for some reason. Best I remember, there was 1 cleaner round packed with every 20 .58 caliber bullets. It would be interesting to know exactly why so many were in that camp.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Vol1266-x, That is an amazing number Williams cleaner bullets. Were the found within close proximity to each other or were they spread out over the whole site? If they were close it might indicate a quartermasters wagon/ tent area. HH and congrats on gaining permission to hunt this site- keep the landowner happy.
I raise honey bees and often give honey as a thank you. It is always appreciated.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy,
A toast to the Tenn Trio on not only that amazing amount of CW relics, but also the research and gaining of permission to such a great spot. :occasion14:
You guys and your videos are a hoot! Doug and Josh are men of few words (thank God).:thumbsup:

As far as all those cleaner bullets, I may have the answer…… :dontknow:

I once read of a very small secret camp in Tenn, close to your area I believe, where a Union general named William C. Leaner commissioned a group of Chinese immigrants
to carve chess pieces out of .58 cal 3-ringers which there was an abundance of during the CW. These chess pieces were giving out to troops to pass the time in camps so they wouldn’t become bored. The name of these carved pieces was later shortened from “William C. Leaner Chess Pieces” to just plain “Williams C. Leaners”, and eventually “William’s Cleaners.”

So what became of these Chinese immigrants you ask?
In order to carry on their heritage and contribution to the Civil War, they opened up cleaners everywhere of course. :laughing7:

I don’t recall the source where I read this, but I’m sure it’s 100% true.:tongue3:

Fantastic hunt Guys. Congrats.
-DUHg-

Attachments

• WC.jpg
    WC.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 87
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome site Quindy. I don't find too many Williams Cleaners here in Tennessee. Most of mine are found in Virginia. You are on a great site. Have you thought about looking for some deep iron and see if there is a pit or hut. If it is a camp you could get some great bottles and maybe some plates. (not dinner plates...lol)

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
I believe that Modern Miner is exactly right! Wow, he really knows his civil war history. :laughing7:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quindy,
A toast to the Tenn Trio on not only that amazing amount of CW relics, but also the research and gaining of permission to such a great spot. :occasion14:
You guys and your videos are a hoot! Doug and Josh are men of few words (thank God).:thumbsup:

As far as all those cleaner bullets, I may have the answer…… :dontknow:

I once read of a very small secret camp in Tenn, close to your area I believe, where a Union general named William C. Leaner commissioned a group of Chinese immigrants
to carve chess pieces out of .58 cal 3-ringers which there was an abundance of during the CW. These chess pieces were giving out to troops to pass the time in camps so they wouldn’t become bored. The name of these carved pieces was later shortened from “William C. Leaner Chess Pieces” to just plain “Williams C. Leaners”, and eventually “William’s Cleaners.”

So what became of these Chinese immigrants you ask?
In order to carry on their heritage and contribution to the Civil War, they opened up cleaners everywhere of course. :laughing7:

I don’t recall the source where I read this, but I’m sure it’s 100% true.:tongue3:

Fantastic hunt Guys. Congrats.
-DUHg-

I learn from you all the time MM-LOL. HH, Q.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys congrats on getting on to such a historic site. It must be a real honor to be chosen to search for and conserve the great relics from there. Also speaks to your character that he chose you guys. Great job fellas!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread