Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a recently mowed field tonight that I have been waiting for since about June. And man was this field great. Right off the bat I got a loud signal and from about 4 inches down there were 2 coppers lying there. I thought from what I could see that they were woods Hibernia's but after I got home and cleaned up a little I think otherwise. I posted one of them on the what is it forum. I think they are from the 1600's. Hopefully someone over there will ID them. One is completely blank and I didn't take a pic of it. Then plugging along I pick up 3 buttons. Then a injun, and then the piece of lead shaped like a ax. Not sure if its suppose to be like that or what is going on with it. :icon_scratch: It measures a inch and a quarter long. Anyway was able to pick up another injun. And then as I was getting ready to leave I got a great signal and in my head I was thinking thats silver. Cut a plug and saw 2 silver quarters at the bottom of the hole, my heart skipped a beat, thoughts of draped bust flashed through my head, but it was not to be as they were washingtons. A hunters drop perhaps. Anyway this site is going to be a great one, dont know when I will get back there again but it will be sooner rather then later. :thumbsup: Also included a hard times token I dug this morning at an old cellar hole. It dates to 1837 I believe.

Thanks to Iron Patch the coin was ID as a 1693 William and Mary halfpenny. Thanks again IP. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• what1.jpg
    what1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,306
  • what2.jpg
    what2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,308
  • token3.jpg
    token3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,301
  • what1.jpg
    what1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,300
  • what2.jpg
    what2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,295
  • bu.jpg
    bu.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,297
  • lead.jpg
    lead.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,293
  • quart.jpg
    quart.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,288
  • token3.jpg
    token3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,293
Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Awesome finds. Looks like you have a great place.

Good luck
Dman

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dman. Iron Patch just ID it as a 1693 Irish William and Mary halfpenny. My oldest coin to date. :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's mainer on your oldest :icon_thumright:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is cool for sure mainer what part of the state are you from?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With coins like that we might show up on your doorstep one day! :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super recoveries Mainer. That's one old coin. It's 104 years older than the oldest one I've dug while looking for CW relics. What months are too bad weatherwise to hunt in Maine? Just wondering, Quindy.

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
With coins like that we might show up on your doorstep one day! :thumbsup:

With coins like this. You probably got a dozen of these. If you dont, I'll trade ya for those cufflinks of your that I like so much. ;D
VOL1266-X said:
Super recoveries Mainer. That's one old coin. It's 104 years older than the oldest one I've dug while looking for CW relics. What months are too bad weatherwise to hunt in Maine? Just wondering, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy, For the most part I am done digging from mid December to mid to late March, ofcoarse theres always exceptions to that. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I have a cool dozen (-12) :thumbsup:

Wow, rarer than I thought I guess.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:
I have a cool dozen (-12) :thumbsup:

Wow, rarer than I thought I guess.

Rarer to dig for sure, but not rare in the books. I haven't even dug a British W & M which is much more likely.

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Im happy thats for sure. You will get yours, just need a little luck. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Well Im happy thats for sure. You will get yours, just need a little luck. :thumbsup:

I don't hold my breath waiting for any find but you never know. I don't even have a 1720s Hibernia! :dontknow:

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never exspected to find this coin. I dug a woods hibernia 2 years ago. That was in much better shape. Actually its one of the better condition coppers I have ever dug. If only the coppers help up like silver or gold.

U

umrgolf

Thats pretty damn old for Maine Jesse. Im not familiar with ME's settlement, but was probably around that time frame, correct? Thats one thats stamped in your mind forever.. You'll be able to walk right to where you dug it 30 yrs from now. :o

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Jes. That's a really cool Copper to dig! Williamsburg up the road from where I live is named after William of Orange or King William III. That's one you can be

proud of and it's one still on my wish list :icon_thumleft: :wink: Congrats buddy

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff, There was a fishing station in this town around 1610 and a permanent settlement here around 1625. So its possable to find earlier, but who knows how long it will take me to do so? If ever?

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its one I will never forget thats for sure. Thanks Josh. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a little more studying The coin is a 1694 not a 93. And may or may not have a 3 counterstamped in it. Thanks to Silver Searcher for noticing that. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread