Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After using my AT- Pro with the stock 8x11 coil for a couple of months, it was starting to take a toll on my back. I read a few reviews about the smaller 5x8 coil, and decided to give it a shot. Wow.....what a difference. The smaller coil is a lot lighter, and seems to help balance out the whole machine. A three hour expedition into some rocky back country yesterday produced a bunch of clad, and a nice 1917 mercury dime. I didn't notice any significant loss of depth, and I was able to get into a bunch of tight spots which would have been a pain in the neck to negotiate with the larger coil. The best part of the day ( aside from the silver dime), was not feeling like my back was wrecked after several hours of MD'ing. If you have been on the fence about picking up this smaller coil for the AT-Pro, give it a try. You won't be sorry. HH

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Agree 100% Silvermonkey.

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100%. I have had my new 5x8 coil for a week and have used it on the beach and in the park. Found coins at 8+ inches in the park and found an old beaver tail pull tab at 7-8 inches on a salt water beach right next to the waters edge.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5X8coil is the ticket,on getting the MD to feel lighter,plus it really works well!:thumbsup: I'm older and another thing that has really helped me a lot is the detecting buddy harness. There is absolutely no weight felt while swinging the MD even with the bigger coil on it. It's a real life (back) saver! It feels like the coil is floating over the ground,and you can just push it right or left with your finger,and thumb.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After using my AT- Pro with the stock 8x11 coil for a couple of months, it was starting to take a toll on my back. I read a few reviews about the smaller 5x8 coil, and decided to give it a shot. Wow.....what a difference. The smaller coil is a lot lighter, and seems to help balance out the whole machine. A three hour expedition into some rocky back country yesterday produced a bunch of clad, and a nice 1917 mercury dime. I didn't notice any significant loss of depth, and I was able to get into a bunch of tight spots which would have been a pain in the neck to negotiate with the larger coil. The best part of the day ( aside from the silver dime), was not feeling like my back was wrecked after several hours of MD'ing. If you have been on the fence about picking up this smaller coil for the AT-Pro, give it a try. You won't be sorry. HH

that seems to be the responce of all of us on our first time out with 5x8 coil and just think of how its gonna be when u actuallyy get comfortable and no what its now saying theres more to come

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said it before and I'll say it again; this should be the standard coil for this machine; it just works.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

devilpookie

Jun 8, 2013
Ventura County, CA
Detector(s) used
A stick and chewing gum
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
New here and to detecting. Just starting out with my AT Pro. I watched a video with the 5x8 coil a couple days ago and the guy was saying that it was good for trashy areas but the swing was much slower. Is that just the swingers opinion? Thanks.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It works,BUT! It's too small to cover really large areas,or fields! I really like BOTH of the coils,but each has it's own uses. The 5X8 coil will "work you to death" on a large field. The 8.5 X 11 coil won't sift through the trashy areas,and find targets as well as the 5 X 8 coil will! The simple answer is to use a harness,then it doesn't really matter what coil you are swinging! They all feel the same weight,and you can hardly tell the difference. The coils seem to just float above the ground. Your back will thank you after a long hunt!:thumbsup:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New here and to detecting. Just starting out with my AT Pro. I watched a video with the 5x8 coil a couple days ago and the guy was saying that it was good for trashy areas but the swing was much slower. Is that just the swingers opinion? Thanks.
NO you have to swing slower to let the smaller coil read the ground. The signals will be missed if you swing too fast. Infact there really is no advantage in swinging any size coil too fast,as it will cost you missed targets. Slow and easy get's the job done!:thumbsup:

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low and slow is the way to go and since I walk slow anyway I prefer the smaller coil it just works for me. I put the larger one back on to do a large area which is pretty clean and I couldn't wait to take it off. The small coil is back on and it will stay on unless I go in water.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a recent convert to the ATP and I love it. It has become my favorite detector and I had/have tectors costing 2-2.5x as much. I didn't start out liking however because balance was one of the huge issues I had with it. I took a chance on purchasing the 5x8 based on all the high reviews of it here on TNet. Completely changed my whole outlook on the machine. I went from on the verge of selling it to posting all my other tectors on CL.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a sweet machine with the small coil on it.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a toss up...either a 5x8 coil or a good water scoop..the 5x8 lost...

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scoop will allow you to get faster targets and thus be able to fibd
stuff to be able to get the 5x8 next!
Not a bad choice! LOL

Pete

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The scoop will allow you to get faster targets and thus be able to fibd
stuff to be able to get the 5x8 next!
Not a bad choice! LOL

Pete

Thanks Pete...I'm leaning towards either a Stavr or Stealth long handle, those uncharted waters are calling me...Lolo.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well,the scoop will allow you to recover more stuff faster,and if your hunting a larger open beach,the stock coil is the one to use(If you are covering a large area,with little trash). Having said that, use the finds, to fund the 5 X 8 that was put on the back burner!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well,the scoop will allow you to recover more stuff faster,and if your hunting a larger open beach,the stock coil is the one to use(If you are covering a large area,with little trash). Having said that, use the finds, to fund the 5 X 8 that was put on the back burner!:thumbsup:

My wife and daughter discussed picking up a 5 X 8 for me so thats covered...I've got a Jeep at the Camp that I'm selling next week so the scoop is also covered..I'm going to build my own Non metalic floating sifter..."kaptainkosmic" a member of this site, built the one in this photo...mine will be similar..just ordered a 16 inch Fortex Feeder Pan to fit inside the free innertube that has a couple of patches...Lolo..

kaptainkosmic.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread