SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went over to the park behind my house this morning for a 4 hour hunt before work.

I got 2 Wheaties from the 20s, 2 Indians, a 1940 merc and a 1910 V nickle :headbang:

I didn't take a picture of the merc because I forgot to, but I got 2 of the Indians and V today. I got the other Indian the other day.

So far this is about 20 wheats, 3 Indians, 6 mercs, 1 silver Rosie, barber dime, 1 1942p war nickle and a V nickle in the past month that I started hitting this park.

One of the Indians is a 1964. I believe it is an L... can anyone confirm this by the pictures?

It is a little rough, but it's not as bad as it could be. It's kinda funny how the 1907 is in worse shape that the 1800s.

Attachments

• indiansV.jpg
    indiansV.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 483
  • 1864Lindian.jpg
    1864Lindian.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 479
  • 1964Lindian2.jpg
    1964Lindian2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 489
  • 1864Lindian3.jpg
    1864Lindian3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Great finds,congrats! Are you going to clean them up? Would like to see! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
SeaninNH

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking about it, but I don't know the best way to clean them with out ruining them. I usually just wash my non silver coins with soap and water and put them away. Silver gets the vinegar and baking soda treatment.

Any suggestions on what process works best? I'd really like to know how to get the V not red any more.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
SeaninNH said:
I was thinking about it, but I don't know the best way to clean them with out ruining them. I usually just wash my non silver coins with soap and water and put them away. Silver gets the vinegar and baking soda treatment.

Any suggestions on what process works best? I'd really like to know how to get the V not red any more.

We always give them a warm bath of peroxide,pat dry with q-tip and a little drink of olive oil,,,,then straight to bed!!!! :laughing9:

arthur

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds :thumbsup:. I do the same to mine as Arthur posted ;D

Miner

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I think since it has the pointy bust on the 1864 IH, it is an "L". The non-L has a rounded bust.

Try this on a toasted Wheat penny first...but you can cut a slit in a potato and stick the copper penny in it. It will totally remove all signs of patina, and other spots. This only works with white potatoes and it will sometimes leave them kind of pourus if the coin under the patina is rough. I have done many wheats this way and Indians that looked bad. After removing all the bad stuff, I smeared vaseline on them and left them to sit for several days. I then buff the vaseline until it was all absorbed into the coin. Today, they look really great compared to what they did look like. Like I said, give it a try on a "throw away" copper Memorial Penny or Wheat first and see what you think.

Hope this helps.
Baldingboy

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Nice hunt.

Nickels are easy to bring back to life. Take some white vinegar, add a little table salt and dunk the nickels for about 30-60 minutes each, and they'll come out nice and silver, not rusty looking :headbang:

HH,
Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread