What a lousy weekend...

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week was my first time CRH'ing and I got hooked. I had gone through a box of half dollars and had ordered 4 more for pickup tomorrow. I got a call tonight from BOA saying the shipment was delayed and they won't be here until next week. Like many normal Americans, I work during Monday-Friday bank hours and have to wait until next Saturday for pickup… What a buzzkill! I was looking forward to this day as soon as I finished my box of halves last Saturday.

With that being said, I have contemplated switching to TD Bank 1) since they have very accommodating bank hours (open all 7 days and way longer hours) and 2) coin counters are available for free to customers. Does anyone have experience with TD Bank? If so, can you please provide your honest reviews and maybe I'll consider switching banks or adding another account.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about your boxes being delayed but I guess at least by them giving u a courtesy call they saved u a useless trip to the bank tomorrow. But if your itching to search some coins maybe u could try your luck with some other coin denomination till u get your half boxes next wknd.

And sorry I don't have any exp with TD bank but I think their machines don't hold very much so dumping 4 half boxes at a time might be a problem but others can give u better info than I can about that bank. GL.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most TD's wont order halves and most of the Penny Arcades fill up at $100 in halves. Great for dumping other denominations, terrible for halves.

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't given much thought as to what other denomination I would choose if it weren't halves. Do the same rules apply for dimes as well? (i.e. Pre-1964 is 90% and 1965-1970 is 40%).

Any recommendations for what denomination to try out? I'm assuming most banks have pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters on-hand at all times. Mostly...

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't given much thought as to what other denomination I would choose if it weren't halves. Do the same rules apply for dimes as well? (i.e. Pre-1964 is 90% and 1965-1970 is 40%).

Any recommendations for what denomination to try out? I'm assuming most banks have pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters on-hand at all times. Mostly...

No only '65-'70 halves are 40% silver....not any other coin denomination. And all pre-'65 halves, quarters and dimes are 90% silver.

I like nickels myself. The '42-'45 ones with the big mintmark on reverse are 35% silver. But some people prefer dimes. U may just have to try for yourself to find out what it is u prefer. GL & HH!

Well I should add, some S mint Ikes from the '70's and some "76S halves and quarters are 40% silver too but no other coin denomination between '65-'70 other than halves are 40% silver.....that's one of the good things about halves. :)

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
td bank makes it a hassle to turn in halves, each bag has to be changed at $100 (NOT $1,000)

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also should know that you are going to get cut off by banks if you order and dump at the same place

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also should know that you are going to get cut off by banks if you order and dump at the same place

"Same Place" meaning the same physical bank or company? For instance, I pickup at BOA #1 and dump at BOA #2; two different physical banks but both are BOA.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week was my first time CRH'ing and I got hooked. I had gone through a box of half dollars and had ordered 4 more for pickup tomorrow. I got a call tonight from BOA saying the shipment was delayed and they won't be here until next week. Like many normal Americans, I work during Monday-Friday bank hours and have to wait until next Saturday for pickup… What a buzzkill! I was looking forward to this day as soon as I finished my box of halves last Saturday. With that being said, I have contemplated switching to TD Bank 1) since they have very accommodating bank hours (open all 7 days and way longer hours) and 2) coin counters are available for free to customers. Does anyone have experience with TD Bank? If so, can you please provide your honest reviews and maybe I'll consider switching banks or adding another account. Thanks!

Similar thing happened to me. Last week I ordered 8 boxes due to be picked up yesterday (Thursday) and they said they would call when the shipment arrived. Due to my work schedule I would have been unable to pick them up until today anyway, so I didn't let the fact they didn't call bother me. First thing this morning I call and inquire about my order and they tell me it hasn't come in yet and they didn't say why. I thought maybe the weather this week, don't know. So now I have no boxes this weekend either, but put in an order at another branch for 4 more next week. And hopefully my other 8 come in next week as well. Maybe I'll have 12 for NEXT weekend.

HH

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
"Same Place" meaning the same physical bank or company? For instance, I pickup at BOA #1 and dump at BOA #2; two different physical banks but both are BOA.

Same company. The practice you describe will eventually get you banned with extreme prejudice...

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same company. The practice you describe will eventually get you banned with extreme prejudice...

So if that's true, then you would keep having to transfer money constantly by writing checks to your self in the other bank account. Does everyone do this?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
So if that's true, then you would keep having to transfer money constantly by writing checks to your self in the other bank account. Does everyone do this?

Im not sure I understand your question but cant u just use your banks ATM to deposit and withdraw money to and from your acct?

I also sometimes transfer money online between two different banks accts I have (Chase and BOA). But that takes 2 business days so if I need my money quicker I just use the ATM. I rarely ever use checks at all anymore myself.

And like the others have said, I agree it would be better if u used different banks for p/u and dumping because if the different branches of the same bank do find out then that could be a problem for u. I know some guy was doing this at some BOA's where I live a while ago and the banks realized what he was doing and one of the tellers told me they told him he couldn't keep doing that anymore. They at least stopped ordering boxes for him I guess. GL

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT use the same bank- even different branches- to pick up and dump your coins especially halves- they will eventually find out and cut you off- find a different bank totally

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all really great advice - thanks everyone!

I will be stopping into a new bank next weekend and opening an account. I'll pickup from BOA and dump at either a TD Bank, BB&T, or SunTrust.

SilverFace -
I'm not familiar with transferring money between banks online since I've always only had one account: BOA. If it's that easy to transfer money online then I will retract my statement on writing checks, lol. ATM's would be feasible if I were only doing $250-$500 at a time, which I am not. I'll do some research on online transferring. Great tip!

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. - I took what was going to be a lousy weekend and turned it into a new venture. To everyone's advice, I went to the bank and picked up 3 boxes of dimes! I'll start scouring through them in about 15 minutes. Stay tuned for an update! Looking for my first silver ever!

IMG_0647.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my luck… the first box appears to be all brand new, unopened 2013's…lol

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah making online transfers between bank accts is very convenient. If you're going to open a new acct somewhere just ask them if that option/service is available with your acct. Then after u set up your new acct online and enter your BOA info with that new acct u will be able to transfer the money online to your BOA acct if that's how u want to do it...or vise versa.

GL and good luck with the other two dime boxes, hope they're not both all new rolls too.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. - I took what was going to be a lousy weekend and turned it into a new venture. To everyone's advice, I went to the bank and picked up 3 boxes of dimes! I'll start scouring through them in about 15 minutes. Stay tuned for an update! Looking for my first silver ever!

View attachment 935786

Did you get 3 boxes from the same branch without ordering it ahead of time?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mjr08010, I do not recommend asking for anything above 2 boxes per or visiting the bank more than once a week. You'll get cut off very quickly. Good luck though!
Did you get 3 boxes from the same branch without ordering it ahead of time?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread