What a surprise - GW button magically appears!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
On Thurs I posted those 3 early silver items along with a few buttons I had found on Wed, but none had been cleaned. The largest button was folded over pretty badly and I even used a vise to partially straighten it. But so what - it was just a junky ole flat button. That is until I was cleaning those finds this morning when something awesome appeared - a huge "GW" in the middle of the large button. That was quite a shock as it was my first one of these, and although in terrible condition, I'm still very proud of it. That's an example of why I don't like to clean finds in the field. I like to be occasionally surprised when I get home and start cleaning stuff up. And it happened yet again ....

Whoops - forgot to include this. Another button in the original photo had an interesting ribbed design, and I've affectionately named it my "beach ball" button. After seeing what looked like a tiny sliver of gilt after removing the dirt, I decided to soak it in diluted lemon juice this morning which revealed quite a bit of gold. Very attractive button in spite of a little remaining corrosion.

030117g.jpg

Attachments

• GW button1.jpg
    GW button1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 157
  • GW button2.jpg
    GW button2.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Upvote 39
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer relic hunt, congratulations! :notworthy:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been a banner month, man. Vote is in.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm new to Tnet and I look foward to your awesome finds/post.
GW button is a beauty.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This picture is incredible. Its like you somehow got a picture of a heard of Unicorns... which happens to be infinitely harder than getting a picture of just one Unicorn. :laughing7:

I voted banner on the 3 pieces of scarce silver, but now that the dirty GW got cleaned and discovered, I'm going to vote again on this group as a whole. What a hunt :notworthy:

Cant get enough of this picture Bill. Huge congrats again.

030117h.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell ya, there are so many "knock your socks off" type of finds on this Forum, and yours is one of them.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a handful of amazing! Most people would kill to find any of those in a lifetime. You just pull em in one hunt....no big deal lol

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're having a good year! Banner vote - quantity and quality.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
OK I'll be "that guy".. While you always post amazing finds that the rest of us can only dream of the first thing that popped into my head looking at the pictures was to wonder if you hadn't assumed the button was just some common dandy button and used a bit more patience and maybe some heat.. Could you have straightened it without cracking it at the fold ? Other than that I'm simply jealous as hell.. lol And oh yeah.. Banner !

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill - Finding the GW initials upon peeling back that button must have been like finding a pearl in an oyster! :icon_cyclops_ani: Good for you. I think you need to update your wish list yet again. I believe a GWI was one find that had been on your waiting list. So what's next?

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
of all people you deserve one! you put your time in.Happy for you!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AND ONCE AGAIN HE KNOCKS IT OUT THE BALL PARK , SWEET.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting