Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow is all I can say, felt like I went into a time warp to Soviet Russia.

Was in Detroit grabbing some tamales, every time I go there I take the freeway there but have to take ratty side roads back because there is no good access to get on the freeway going the other way.
I figured screw that, there must be a way - And there used to be, haven't been that way in years but there used to be a quick turn around for the freeway, since then they extensively redesigned the whole area into an effective maze.
So I went down the service drive towards the Ambassador Bridge which goes to Canada. No turn arounds at all, I was channeled to a point where you either turned left or turned right. didn't want to go right as that led to one of the ratty streets I was talking about [Grand Blvd], so I turned left, figuring thats the way the freeway is. I envisioned a point with signs that said "Bridge this way, I96 that way" ,,, Didn't know it, but once I made that left turn I was committed to going to Canada and all that entails.

No way possible to turn around, I was stuck in a line of bridge traffic - If you happened to have just made a wrong turn like me, too damn bad ! To my left I saw what looked like a little street going towards the freeway so I cut across bridge traffic to get to it, got around a bend to find it was gated off. Shoot, so I backed up, and now I have the interest of border control.
6 of them swarmed my truck, some with hands by gun, I was like aww crap, how do I go from buying tamales to this in 5 minutes ?

One guy said what do you think you are doing ? I said well, I was trying to get to the freeway, apparently took a wrong turn and ended up here. So hes like Ok, got any ID ? I said yep. He asks to see it, I showed him. So where are you coming from ? Uhh ,, getting some tamales down the street. Where are you going to ? Freeway ! Why are you here then, this is for traffic headed to Canada ?
Explain again that I took a wrong turn .. So finally he said Ok, just go over there and my partners will get you turned around, pointing to a side lane with a bunch of border agents standing there waiting to rip vehicles apart. I though oh crap, what do I have illegal in my truck, anything ??

I should point out in the first place, I do look like a thug. Not a terrorist by any means, more like a Hells Angel, and my truck is pretty ghetto. I don't do drugs or generally engage in any illegal activity, but I haven't really cleaned my truck out in years, and I sure wasn't expecting to be scrutinized by border control.

So I pulled up [like I had a choice], Immediately the same thing. Got ID ? Where are you coming from ? Where are you going to ? Got any firearms, drugs or anything illegal ??
So eventually the head guy says turn your vehicle off, step out and keep your hands where we can see them. I felt like this was actually getting serious, from tamales to take down in 7 minutes.

So I did as told, I happened to be smoking and he said put out the cigarette, Ok. Just had a birthday a couple weeks ago, eagle eyes noticed my license was now expired, great. Then it hit me, about 3 months ago I was at a buddies house and I had some neck pain, I think I just slept wrong that night. He said here, try some of there and gave me 3 Tylenol 4's. I know they are pretty weak so I did try one, made me nauseous so I just threw the other 2 in the ash tray, and there they sat.
Tray is filled with spare change and tooth picks, the pills no doubt settled to the bottom with driving vibrations, so I hoped against hope he didn't find them - Wrong, of course. Came back to the guy who was watching me with his trophies, guy said hmm what do we have here ? Before I could answer he said Tylenol 4's ? I said yep. He said you got a prescription for them ? I said nope.
He said ok, so you just buy them off the street ? I said no, a buddy gave them to me a few months ago. Then, eagle eyes found what looked to be a weed roach, came back with that trophy as well and asked me where the rest of my pot was. I said I don't smoke pot, he said well, whats this ? I said it appeared to be a butt end of a marijuana cigarette, he said right ! What is it doing in there if you don't smoke it ?
I said sir, its in my truck and of course it is my responsibility, however I have not smoked pot since the mid 1980's [which is true] ,, I said do I have friends, associates, family members that are occasionally in my truck that smoke weed? The answer is yes, so I can only surmise that one of them was careless and left it sitting there.

So anyhow he goes on ripping apart my truck, and there is a lot to see ! Toolbox too on the back of the truck, luckily for me thats all he found. Have a little league aluminum baseball bat sitting in the back, he said play baseball much ? I said yep, I do. Of course we both knew its there for thumping, nut not illegal. Found a couple razor knifes but just left them sitting there. The guy who was watching me became a bit friendlier when it was obvious I was not as confrontational as I looked. I had a union Tshirt on [and an outlaw biker hat] so he asked me about both of those, and he told me that I could get a $5,000 fine for each pill, and forfeiture of my truck and all its contents [ I have a $1.5 k sound system, $700 alarm, GPS, radar detector, battery booster and even my Ace 400 and garrett pinpointer, not to mention all my tools in the back, forfeiture would have hurt badly].

So I was sweating a bit but kept my composure, I didn't play dumb, and really just told the truth, I was relieved that at least I apparently wasn't going to get stomped into the pavement as I first thought might happen no matter what I did - And yes, it has happened to me before.

So eagle eye finished up his check and walks back to us, he asks what about those ? referring to the contraband, guy I was talking to was apparently the head honcho and he said aww, this guys Ok we'll let him go with a warning. Just then an agent at the back of my truck said hold on a second, look at this !
I thought WTF, what did he find back there ? Other agents went rushing over there with a purpose, turns out he was just being a joker. I have a bunch of bumper stickers on the tailgait, one of them reads "Bad Cop No Doughnut ! on a badge shape ,,, He said Hmm I don't know, we might have to run this guy in now !

I could tell, or at least hoped, they were having a little fun, so I said hey, you guys aren't just cops, you are an elite border control unit ! He said elite ? hahahhhaaa, ok this guys ok let him go ! So it was a bit dicey at first but turned out ok, just quite a trip how an innocent wrong turn can put you half way to hell in the blink of an eye.

Still wasn't quite out of it, its really a chore to get out of there, traffic going there is meant to go over the bridge and that is it. So he says see that gray building over there, pointing to a gray building in the distance. I said yeah, he said Ok see that white truck by the building ? Just go there and they'll get you turned around. So I gingerly made my way through the maze towards the gray building and white truck [I figured if I made another wrong turn I'd run into tire spikes or something], saw a sign that said "Wait to be turned around here" so I figured this must be it.
Waited bout half an hour and I'm thinking WTF, are they toying with me or what ? finally a guy in an orange safety vest comes up and said what you need ? I said I need to get out, agents over there ripped apart my truck and interrogated me and let me go and told me to come here. He said ohh, Ok, got a slip ? I said what slip, they didn't give me anything. He said damn, they are supposed to give you a turnaround slip, I said well, they didn't.

So he says I'll be right back, so he went and talked to them and came back and motioned me to follow him, followed him to a gate which he opened and said see ya, this will take you to Fort St. I said adios. It was a maze even getting out of there, but only 1 way to go really.

As I drove down Grand blvd I saw where I turned in, and then I did see a sign that said "No re admittance to USA", but its easy enough not to see unless you happen to be looking up. I talked to a buddy of mine telling him about it and he said no **** ? Same exact thing happened to me last year, so I get the feeling there are dozens a day who wander into this snakes den by accident.
Not much to be done about it, rules are rules and of course they are very serious at large border crossings like this. Normally I believe LE requires a search warrant to search a vehicle, apparently y does not apply there, once you enter you are subject to complete search and seizure.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you need to keep your vehicle cleaner... but I suppose "eagle eye" did that for you! :headbang:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I was expecting to cross an international border, I sure would have. Its a work truck, I clean up accumulations of wrappers/bottles ect every so often, sure am not going to bother vacuuming and looking for errant roaches.

Don't blame the cops, just doing their jobs, I seriously do look like trouble and don't smile much - People in positions like that have to profile even if unspoken, I understand that. I in fact have adapted to that over the course of years, and I like the feeling when people discover that Charles Manson here is actually a pretty nice, talkative, eloquent, interesting [and handsome!] guy.
But the design of that entrance needs reworking so its not so easy to make a wrong turn and stumble into no mans land between USA and Canada, might just call one of those Problem Solver news teams and see if thats something they may look into - I'd be very curious to know on an average day how many people stumble into this, and if they end up ripping everyone's vehicle apart by default or just some.

Would also like the search issue clarified - They apparently must have a waiver to require a search warrant at the border, or do they ? They had no probable cause, did not threaten them any more than a little old lady, I wasn't even asked much less gave permission. I was still in the USA, were my 4th amendment rights violated ?

That said, I could have had a kilo in my subwoofer box and he would have never known, so it could have been worse. I'm guessing they have sniffer dogs as needed, I didn't see any.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go through the Canadian border twice a year, and it seems like such a huge waste of everyone's time.

Do they ever make any substantial arrests? Maple syrup smugglers?

Any serious border sneaker can just jump in a boat and cross the great lakes with ease.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably gets a fair share of action there, I'm guessing the focus is on islamic terror through our porous borders, but I think this particular entry point would not be the 1st choice for most islamics ,, Hell, they'd be better off posing as refugees like the do in Europe and just get flown over, all expense paid.

I remember a few years back they had a big scandal where convoys of garbage trucks coming from Toronto to dump their trash in Michigan, been doing that for years then they discovered they were stashing loads of drugs in the garbage, correctly figuring they wouldn't want to check too far into that. Then they also discovered that they were dumping all kinds of medical/toxic wastes and stuff they weren't supposed to be dumping, not sure what happened with that but as far as I know, they are still using Michigan for their landfill.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, you really know how to lay out the details of your experience! Great read!!

Second, glad they didn't ask for a cavity search!! :tongue3:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep ...getting out of the D is harder than getting in.
Nothing against all its citizens but...some places I for one don't need to be touring anymore.

Cold tamales, frown.

Border tangles, Oh yaah. Good thing you did not get searched on the other side!
Years ago a guy coming into Mi had a roach in his ashtray and things were not going well for him.
They never questioned a new boat built in Canada I was hauling or looked under the trucks tarp ,but they pulled up the flooring below the mats looking for seeds and I got the joy of going in for interrogation and watch them at work on others too.
Despite their efforts I lucked out...but did not stop for at least a couple hundred miles past the border once released!

Fishing Canada one truck in the party had a holster under the seat. Rather than declare it a fishing rod holder (well it could have worked) they spent some time being searched.
Too much beer and booze and when the fine cognac owner tried to surrender a case of beer instead of the cognac ....a simple guess will answer what got confiscated.....

Dang border!

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Same kind of Wrong turn issue happened here in Ca at the Mexican border. Off duty Marine with a couple of guns in car ( hunting, I think) thought it was a turn around. But no exit and ended up in Mexico. THEY held him for weeks on gun charges. Roads not marked well there either.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story.

You are one lucky dude.

Don't ever go for tamales in Detroit. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I remember that wrong turn Marine that Obama ignored for months - If we were 1/5th as vigilant for our own border I'd be happy.

Have many life long ties to Detroit, friends, family, associates. I grew up there though I left long ago got some of the D in me ... These tamales are to die for, usually get a dozen a month or so. Also do a fair amount of detecting there.

i just learned something new, do not turn left at that street, turn right. Have been to Canada quite a few times, had a few GF's in Windsor some years back, went to a wedding in Chatham last year. Sometimes I get scrutinized sometimes not, I got one of those licenses that are supposed to speed things up at the border, sure didn't do me any good there.

[I had the Canadian Cavity Search when I was about 17, unpleasant experience but me and my friends were such outright smart asses I guess we asked for it]

Also had an odd experience about 15 years ago, I bought 3 cartons of duty free cigarettes real cheap, the caveat is you have to stay in Canada for at least 24 hours. I was going to an airshow in London and planned to be back in Detroit later that night, but I figured how would they know ?
So I told them I was picking up a friend in Erieua [true] going to an airshow in London [true] then after that airshow stay the night at my friends [false]. How they made the determination that I was full of BS I do not know, I could well have been staying the night if I wanted to.

So he said about the smokes, I had the choice of paying duty and some kind of penalty which would have put them about 5x as much as I could have just got them at a corner store, or "Sacrifice them to the Queen" ,, I said huh ? He said thats right, take a choice.
So Queeny got my smokes and I was out about $40.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the chuckles....border police can be a pain no matter which border you're going through.

Regards + HH

Bill

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Glad you made it back. This reminds me of my adventure 2 months ago at the Canadian border crossing in Washington State.

I bought an engine for a VW off of ebay. Used, with 140K miles on it. It goes in a 12 year old car.

I had already paid for it, so I go to pick it up.

The guy loads it in my truck, and hands me a bunch of paperwork.

I drive to the border, and the lady asks me what that is in the back.

I say it is an engine.

She informs me that she is refusing entry to my engine, since I do not have paperwork from a customs broker. The EPA has rules, she says.

I had asked her if I could bring auto parts across, and she said yes. So I asked how many parts my engine needed to be in to be considered parts. No answer. Gives me the stink eye.

So I drive back into Canada and head off to find a broker.

The only one open on a Saturday calls his buddy on the US side because he knows all about this transaction.

He informs me that I would have to install the engine and then get it cleared by the EPA by a third party company, and it is expensive. Not worth it.

At this point, I am considering just kicking it off my tailgate and driving home, but I relent.

I call my mom, since we have some relatives nearby, and maybe they can hold on to it while I figure out what to do.

So I call my cousin, and he agrees that I can leave the engine in his garage until I get my plan together.

I drop it off, (after getting lost) and head home.

After I get home and crack a much-needed beer, 5 minutes googling my problem reveals that there is NO PROBLEM importing engines, since they need a computer to run. The EPA does NOT regulate them. All I need is a broker, I guess.

So I print off all my new EPA info, I figured I will need this ammo at the border.

I call a customs broker, he seems familiar with what I am doing.

He charges me 200 bucks, because reasons.

I pay it, print off his paperwork and add it to my folder of ammo.

I also ( on the advice of the broker) call the 'supervising agent' at the border and get a 'commercial waiver' stating that I am not a business, I am a guy who fixes his own car.

So, I go get my engine in Canada. (nobody home, loaded it my self. oof)

I drive to the border, go to the commercial side per instructions.

When it is my turn, I roll up to the agent and proudly hand him my paperwork.

He asks what I am doing, I recount my activities for him to date.

He says that I do not need any paperwork, I should not have come to the commercial side, and sees nothing wrong with bringing an engine down to the US.

He says, since I created a waiver, I need to go inside so they can 'close the loop' on it.

So I park and go inside.

1/2 hour later, I am called to the desk.

I tell them what I am doing, and I am informed that I should not have come inside, I can just go.

I encountered 5 different people while bringing this thing down, and every one of them had a different story as to what was right.

So, I feel your pain when dealing with the border.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well at least you didn't get strip searched - Happened to me when I was in my teens, but I probably deserved it.
Miraculously, they didn't find anything illegal.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beerguy, back in the day (before the border remodel at Blaine) we used
to call that Commercial room the "Long Room", cause every time you went
there it was a loonnggg time before you finally got your ppwk approved.

I spent a year driving "local", hauling/delivering cases of fresh cut flowers from
Tacoma to Vancouver B.C. I delivered to the large flower distributors, who in
turn sold to the floral shops, and they bought flowers in 60-100 lb. cardboard
cases. I was driving a 3-axle Freightliner and usually had a 53' trailer.

It was always a mixed load from a dozen (or more) different shippers, so there
was a load of paperwork associated with every load. You can't bring cut flowers
into Canada unless they've been inspected, so you had to have a certificate for
each box. 99% of the time my ppwk was all in order, and since I was crossing
at 2am it was never more than an hour wait.

Had a huge load 4 days before Christmas, and find when I arrive at the border
that there are 4 live Poinsettia plants in pots, and since I didn't have a botanist
inspection certificate for them I was denied entry. I had 30,000 lbs. of cut flowers,
and 4 stinkin' live plants were messing with a very tight schedule. It's 3am now, and
the floral shops show up at the distributors about 5am to buy for the day. If they
got no flowers, I'm up ship creek.

Did the only thing I could do. I went back over the the US side, quick stop at US
Customs, then drove down the road a block to a shopping center. Jumped out,
open the trailer and tossed those 4 Poinsettia's right out the back.

Drove back to the border, cleared my paperwork (minus the bill of lading for the
plants) and made the delivery on time...8-)

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a few years ago I visit my daughter in Montreal. Stop at the border. I am alone in the sedan. An old Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera. Dark Blue in color. Where are you from? And I give the right answer. What is the purpose of your visit to Canada? Visiting my daughter in Montreal. How long are you going to be staying? Until Tuesday. What are you from? Same answer. (Ok, like I know this.) Are you carrying any weapons, tobacco or firearms? No. What would you do if you had a "problem"? So I says---See this here car? (And I pat it on the driver's door), and say it weighs 2000 pounds. Also put a kick butt grin in there too. So the guard says-----Welcome to Canada. And off I go.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: What a trip, mobbed by Border agents today (rather than repeating that lenghty post...)

Under the circumstances you described, I believe (but could be wrong) that Border Patrol had full authority to search your vehicle at this particular moment:
To my left I saw what looked like a little street going towards the freeway so I cut across bridge traffic to get to it, got around a bend to find it was gated off.

Fortunately we haven't had any issues with Border Patrol. Then again, we don't travel to Canada. Had hopes of going at some point in my life, but with all the political hoops to jump through now, I doubt seriously it'll ever happen. Got no tickets (not even parking), never in trouble with the law, etc, etc. However, wife and I both have prescription meds that would require scrutiny on their part. So, it's simply not worth the hassle.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't worry about crossing the border if I was you.
I am the type of guy and drive the type of vehicles that incite instant suspicion in law enforcement, it is a fact of life I deal with. If you don't look like a thug and don't drive a ghetto cruiser and don't have unaccounted controlled substances in your ashtray, you should be fine.

It is my understanding that you either have to have a passport or an enhanced license to cross the border.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
ROFL - It's just the hassle involved. Knowing our luck, we'd end up getting some hotshot who had something to prove, or was just bored and wanted a little fun. We somehow seem to draw that a lot. And as I've said before, I don't have the most patience in the world. I especially hate being questioned. Meaning, if they ask me a question, I'm gonna answer honestly. If they doubt my word, then I get pissed!

Also, we always gear up before even heading to town. Hey, where we live, if we break down or something, it could LITERALLY be days before someone finds us!! So the wife packs everything - a LOT more than normally necessary. If we say we're just going for the day but look like we're moving there...well, you get the picture. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread