What about carrying a snake bit kit?

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allways best Espically Me being from mass all my life wood rattlers are the worst Allways Carry one I got to carry an Eppi Pen I am Highly Allegeric to Bees and wasps

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Snake bite kits are a thing of the past. They don't recommend using them at all. Get the victim to a hospital as quickly as possible and they will survive. More people die each year from bee stings then snake bites.

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
Just some general information---I do not make any recommendations either way for or against kits--heard most Doctors do not recommend them.

SNAKE BITE Emergency Procedures:

NOTE: Venom from a poisonous snake bite travels through the lymph system. Motion will speed the flow - hence it is most important that the victim lay down and remain calm.

SYMPTOMS: - Usually two small puncture marks in the skin
- Burning pain and local swelling
- Area around bite discolors to purple or green
- Dry feeling in mouth

TREATMENT:

Regardless of which First Aid procedure below is followed, the victim should be examined by a doctor as soon as possible.

1. If antivenin is available, it should be injected immediately.

2. If antivenin is not available, use the constrictor suction method:

a. Crush the antiseptic ampule in your fingers, remove the cardboard cover and, using the saturated swab, clean the entire area of the bite and the scalpel blade.

b. Place the lymph constrictor around the limb between the bite and the heart within 1 1/2" of the wound. Tighten only until the skin is dented. Insure there is a pulse above or below the wound. The intent is to merely retard the lymph flow. If constrictor cannot be applied due to location, simply proceed with the balance of the treatment.

c. Make 1/8 to 1/4" deep incisions over the fang marks. CAUTION - Never make an incision on fingers, toes, or a visible blood vessel.

d. Apply suction over incisions by squeezing the cup, placing it over the would and then releasing. Most of the venm should be removed over a one hour period.

e. Every 10 minutes, or as swelling spreads, loosen constrictor for 1 minute and reapply a little closer to the heart just beyond the swelling.

Do not administer alcohol or stimulants. Alcohol will spread the flow of venom through the lymph system.

Although the fatality rate from snake-bite is less than 1% for a treated bite, transportation to a hospital should be done as soon as practical. If the victim must walk, movement should be slow, with frequent stops.

Caution to apply suction.

Non-poisonous snakes may also bite. In this case you will usually see two U-shaped rows of fine tooth marks. The wound should be cleaned with mild soap and water and covered with a sterile dressing. An antibiotic ointment could also be applied if available.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
I'm pretty sure that cutting is no longer recommended, as this simply increases the avenues for the venom to reach the bloodstream. There are now kits that provide very powerful suction to draw venom out through the existing fang holes. These kits are also purported to suck the venom from insect stings; I have used one for this several times with consistently poor results. If you can get to a Dr. within 1 hr., do not waste time on this. Best option seems to be to pack the area in ice, apply a constriction bandage (NOT A TOURNIQUET!!!) and transport.

Allways best Espically Me being from mass all my life wood rattlers are the worst Allways Carry one I got to carry an Eppi Pen I am Highly Allegeric to Bees and wasps

I think the epipen is also useful for snakebite...ask your Dr.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a snake bite kit and where snake boots or chaps and cell phone.

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI
Most information I've read suggests that cutting or suction can and often does present risk of worse injury and complications. The current trend in treatment is to calm the individual and transport them to a hospital asap for proper treatment. Anything that restricts circulation or efforts to use suction tends to keep the venom localized and concentrated, resulting in greater injury to the affected area. There is also rick of infection anytime a wound is enlarged or created by cutting. I have heard of antihistamines being injected in bite sites to help disperse venom in an effort to reduce it's concentration, thus potency, hoping to minimize injury

Mike

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI
How To Prevent and Treat Snake Bites

By Rod Brouhard, About.com

Updated: March 28, 2008

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board
See More About:

* animal bites
* rescuer safety
* accidents
* first aid techniques
* outdoor first aid

"Snake bite."

Look for two small puncture wounds at the site of the snake bite.
©A.D.A.M.
Snake bites can be deadly. It's important to react quickly to bites. If emergency medical services can be reached, request help through 911. If in a remote area, getting the victim to medical care is vital.

North America is home to several different species of venomous snakes. The most common is the rattlesnake. Antivenin is available, but it must be used as early as possible.
Difficulty: N/A
Time Required: N/A
Here's How:

1. Safety first! Get away from the snake. That's probably why it bit in the first place. Follow universal precautions and wear personal protective equipment if you have it.
2. Call 911 immediately! Waiting until the pain may lead to permanent tissue damage. Remember that calling 911 on a cell phone is different than a regular phone.
3. Do not elevate. Keep the bite below the level of the heart.
4. Wash the area with warm water and soap.
5. Remove constricting clothing and jewelry from the extremity. The area may swell and constricting items will cause tissue death.
6. If the snake is an elapid species (coral snakes and cobras), wrap the extremity with an elastic pressure bandage. Start from the point closest to the heart and wrap towards the fingers or toes. Continue to keep the bite lower than the heart.
7. Follow the basics of first aid while waiting for responders to arrive. Be especially concerned about the potential for shock.

Tips:

1. NO CUTTING & SUCKING! Those snake bite kits from the drug store don't work. Cutting into the wound will just create infections.
2. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of first aid:
* Wear long pants and boots taller than the ankle.
* Avoid tall brush and deep, dark crevices.
* Make plenty of noise and vibration while walking.
* Do not approach snakes, avoid them.
* Do not expect rattlesnakes to make any noises.
3. If the snake is dead, bringing it to the hospital is appropriate. Be careful, dead snakes can reflexively bite for up to an hour.
4. In today's digital world, pictures are easy to get. A quick picture of the snake - even with a cell phone - will help medical crews identify the animal. Rattlesnakes are pit vipers, identified by dents in the side of their heads that look like ears. Coral snakes are small with bands of red bordered by pale yellow or white. Cobras have hoods that spread behind their heads.
5. It's not that important to identify the snake; medical crews in areas prone to snake bites can often identify the animal just from the wound. Pit vipers have two fangs and the bite often has two small holes (see illustration). Coral snakes have small mouths full of teeth with rows of small puncture wounds.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'm speaking specifically to MA/NH/ME residends when I say "yes, a snake bite kit would be waste of money". The incidence of bites (or even sightings) is so low that it's really a non-issue, no matter where you trek. Of course carry a cell phone if you you really have a fear of this in our area. For more information: http://www.umass.edu/nrec/snake_pit/pages/timber.html

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tree thing you need in snake country 1.snake proof boots or chaps
2.A fully charged cell phone and a GPS to give your exact position
3.Minstrels advise.

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
NHbenz said:
I'm speaking specifically to MA/NH/ME residends when I say "yes, a snake bite kit would be waste of money". The incidence of bites (or even sightings) is so low that it's really a non-issue, no matter where you trek. Of course carry a cell phone if you you really have a fear of this in our area. For more information: http://www.umass.edu/nrec/snake_pit/pages/timber.html

Hi NHbenz. A cell phone aint much use in many of the places I go. And I don't see hardly any other folks out there either, which may explain the low number of bites reported.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...Something to think about for me. The areas where I'm working and will be until it gets to hot are pretty much desolate and no cellphone services. The ranch owner has said I'm the only one allowed to go on his property. 19,000 acres with over 30 old homesteads. To be truthful I hadn't given any thought to snakes. :icon_scratch: :-\

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
Massbaycolonist said:
brokenarrow said:
The tree thing you need in snake country 1.snake proof boots or chaps
2.A fully charged cell phone and a GPS to give your exact position
3.Minstrels advise.

Ummm.....What's a Minstrel?

A Minstrel was a traveling song writer/singer/composer of poems---used to travel from town to town, castles etc and played mostly for the upper class at the time.

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
going prepaired is the best medicine when in snake country wear heavy hi-top boots snake chaps and be very carefull where you stick your hands and if bitten get to a hospital.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: While on a trip in Belize we were heading out into the jungle. I asked my friend about taking a snakebite kit. His response was,"If you take snake bite kit you get snake bit" I didn't take it and they left us alone. :icon_scratch:
Where's me Grog? :coffee2:

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Massbaycolonist said:
NHbenz said:

Hi NHbenz. A cell phone aint much use in many of the places I go. And I don't see hardly any other folks out there either, which may explain the low number of bites reported.
Hello again Kevin. Another thing to keep in mind about Timber Rattlers is that they can control the amount of venom injected in a bite. If you are not intentionally irritating them (or taking them by surprise) they may even bite without any venom at all. Happily this is just too remote of a problem to worry about in the NorthEast.
Best Regards. -Ben

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
NHbenz said:
Massbaycolonist said:
NHbenz said:

Hello again Kevin. Another thing to keep in mind about Timber Rattlers is that they can control the amount of venom injected in a bite. If you are not intentionally irritating them (or taking them by surprise) they may even bite without any venom at all. Happily this is just too remote of a problem to worry about in the NorthEast.
Best Regards. -Ben
Great to hear, Ben. Now how about them water moccasins/cotton mouths? As you probably know, they are from the pit viper family. We have them too!

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I don't doubt what you're saying, I'm just surprised you have cotton-mouths up there in Mass. I live in
south-western Pa. & have spent most of my life outdoors & have never come across one. Everything else
from a few types of rattlers & plenty of copperheads, but have only heard a few scarce rumors of cotton
mouths being found. And I'm glad, I've spent little time down South & from what I've heard from the local
guys, those snakes ain't exactly always so eager to get out of your way. And some will try & run you off.
Guys in South Carolina told me they wear waders or snake boots when deer-huntin. No thanks, I'd rather
tolerate the cold & the snow when creepin around after white-tails.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread