What about nickel?

Wood

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2009
Canada's 5 cent coin from 1955 to 1981 is 100% nickel. Nickels from the 60's, 70's and 80's are still very common here and could easily be hoarded from CRH'ing. From what I could find it would take 100 nickels to make a pound. Nickel price currently about $10.00/lb. We cannot melt our currency, and shipping costs would be prohibitive, maybe? but this still interests me somewhat. Low cost per coin output and still worth face regardless of nickel value. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Sounds just like the copper penny (pre 1982 1/2) in the USA. Worth twice face, and many of us are collecting them.

At some point it will be worth selling those nickels. The penny here sells for about 1.6 cents each on ebay if it is copper. last year was much more. YOU might find a market there o ebay too, or some other site where people buy nickel nickels.

If I lived there, YES I'd be collecting them as much as I could, hearing that the melt value is already almost twice face value.

Good luck to you.

OP
OP
W

Wood

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2009
So I tried 30 rolls of nickels. Out of 1200 I got 123 pure nickels. Oldest date 1959. I think I will continue the hunt. Today's nickel price, $11.67/lb. It's probably worth while picking away at it and stash it away.

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
emphasis on stashing-away
i wouldn't expect too much of a turn-around during your lifetime
might be something for the kids, though

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Wood said:
So I tried 30 rolls of nickels. Out of 1200 I got 123 pure nickels. Oldest date 1959. I think I will continue the hunt. Today's nickel price, $11.67/lb. It's probably worth while picking away at it and stash it away.

I still say collect ALL the ones that are pure nickel.. Knowing that the intrinsic value is about .10 per nickel (Canadian folks, not american) you must be able to make a profit somewhere. If it takes a year or three to do it, and you double your money or more, that is still good.

I'd keep them all. ALL. And I'd be all over them every day if I lived in Canada. As it is, I do pennies here every day, because of the intrinsic value. And I can sell them for a 50% premium now on ebay, but will wait unitl it goes higher like it did last year.

And I've got almost 2 tons of pennies now, so when I say ALL you can, yes I mean ALL you can of the pure nickel nickels. :-)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Kauka said:
emphasis on stashing-away
i wouldn't expect too much of a turn-around during your lifetime
might be something for the kids, though

I bet he could make 50% on his money right now. He needs to have enough to make it worth it, but if he sold a bag of only the pure nickels I'm SURE he could make money NOW. So don't think it won't haappen in his "lifetime". It is already there. Just like it is with pennies here in the USA.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with jrf. If you can get that high of a percentage of pure nickels while searching then it is a no-brainer to me. They are already worth 2X face so you are only going to make money. I would hoard as many as I could at that rate. At some point they will be worth 5X face value and you will be able to make a very nice profit. It may take 10-15 years but it will eventually happen. If you are looking to turn them around in the short term then you can still probably make a profit. But it will be much smaller and you will have to work harder at trying to keep costs low.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been saving all pure nickel Canadian 5 cent coins for the last couple of years. The number of them that I see has dropped dramatically since 2008. I already saved the 12-sided ones and earlier anyway, so I just added the 1964 - 1981 to the list.

Scott

OP
OP
W

Wood

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2009
This will be a long term project, my kids will get any benefit of profit. The nickels are easy to search at a glance due to the four different Queen effigies, but I have to re-roll all coins as there are no machines in my area. It is a nice change from quarters, where silver is very rare, and I'm really tired of looking at Vancouver olympics coins.

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
well, at least you folks have vancouver olympic coins "around"
i've yet to see any to hit the general circulation here
(except for commemoratives that you purchase from dealers)

OP
OP
W

Wood

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2009
Electronova said:
Wood said:
I'm really tired of looking at Vancouver olympics coins.

I've been saving those because I thought they didn't make many, haha, I guess I won't save them anymore.

Just like I have been saving Statehood quarters. The olympic coins have been in circulation since 2007 and they minted millions each year. You want any? The last issue "sledge hockey" was just released. Canada's quarter was chosen for all the commemoratives and they really went wild, lots of varities. I am very near to completing a 1937 to 2010 25 cent circulation set and there is over 140 coins.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Lol forgot canada had nickel nickels. I usually only save us nickels from the 40s and below. I figure the amount of money tied up storing nickels could be used to buy silver. My kitty litter pails are already filling up with copper and will have to draw a line [or sell] somewhere on how much money i will tie up in copper and nickel storage.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
quiksilver said:
Lol forgot canada had nickel nickels. I usually only save us nickels from the 40s and below. I figure the amount of money tied up storing nickels could be used to buy silver. My kitty litter pails are already filling up with copper and will have to draw a line [or sell] somewhere on how much money i will tie up in copper and nickel storage.

If you have limited storage space or finances to store copper, you can always (even now) sell $50 of copper on ebay for $80 and then rebuild it at the face of $50 again. Make $30 and be back to the same spot you are now with the same amount of copper.

Hey, little $30 gains here and there still add up. :-)

Trent Charles

Apr 22, 2010
I started collecting the pre 1997 pennies as well as the pre 1982 nickels. I figure with the commodities bull market, some base metals are good to have. And its basically a risk free investment, if the price of the metal goes down, you still have the face value. For pennies I've found about 30 to 40% are good and with nickels I've found it was between 5 to 10%, but then again I only just started and a limited amount of them were hand rolled.

I'm also going to try with the dimes and quarters, but I imagine they are going to take a lot more effort. It also sucks that canadian silver was only 80%, but considering I have more time than money, CRH seems like a good option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread