What About The Garrett Infinium For gold Prospecting?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Thanks Terry for the video, but there are many detectorists that aren't ready to plunk down the price of a Minelab but want to try
out Nugget Hunting to start. As such, the Infinium makes a lot of sense and has been successful for many people.
Rich

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry for the video, but there are many detectorists that aren't ready to plunk down the price of a Minelab but want to try
out Nugget Hunting to start. As such, the Infinium makes a lot of sense and has been successful for many people.
Rich

I would rather buy 5 infiniums and get 4 friends to hunt with me than pay over 5 grand for the minelab.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rich

You will be better off with a Whites GMT, Fisher Goldbug, or Tesoro Lobo Super Traq - than an Infinium or TDI. Save your money and get a gold hunting VLF.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Terry,
The Infinium was designed as a GOLD hunting detector for bad ground in Australia and other places. Much easier to use in bad
ground than all the VLF's you mention. That said I also believe that having a VLF as well as an Infinium makes more sense than
just having one or the other. Just relax, we won't take all the gold away from the VLF's.
Rich

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like Reg, I have really not encountered any areas here in the United States where a dedicated VLF goldhunter won't work. Yes, there is some hot desert black sands, hot rocks, and soil that require ground balancing every few yards, but "generally," anything you can find with a low powered PI you can find with a good VLF. In the second video I posted (Garrett Infinium vs Minelab GPX 5000), I am of the opinion an ACE 250 would have also found that nugget which looks to be at least 3-grams. Just sayin..

Reg: "BTW, I have yet to encounter dramatically mineralized ground here in the US." http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...viscosity-explanation-please.html#post3412669

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Terry you kind of slacked off of your "Tesoro only" viewpoint why the change?
Rich

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just like Reg, I have really not encountered any areas here in the United States where a dedicated VLF goldhunter won't work. Yes, there is some hot desert black sands, hot rocks, and soil that require ground balancing every few yards, but "generally," anything you can find with a low powered PI you can find with a good VLF. In the second video I posted (Garrett Infinium vs Minelab GPX 5000), I am of the opinion an ACE 250 would have also found that nugget which looks to be at least 3-grams. Just sayin..

Reg: "BTW, I have yet to encounter dramatically mineralized ground here in the US." http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...viscosity-explanation-please.html#post3412669

“BTW, I have yet to encounter dramatically mineralized ground here in the US. It may seem bad when using a VLF but is quite mild with the PI's I have used”

Terry… in reference to the above statement contributed by Reg to the magnetic viscosity thread… remember that those words are used in the context of the overall discussion that is about magnetic viscosity and not just about magnetic susceptibility. I doubt any of us have not encountered high magnetic susceptible ground conditions, for example black sands or mafic rocks for which either the TDI or Infinium can deal with effectively whereas VLF prospecting-capable units struggle by comparison.

In layman’s terms, magnetic susceptibility in a metal detecting context refers to the ability of a soil’s iron minerals to attract a magnetic field. The “follow the black sand” feature on the GMT, similar to the Fe3O4 bar graph on the F75 or other units, measures the strength of the ground’s magnetic susceptibility.

It is my understanding that magnetic viscosity refers the ease with which particles or atoms respond to a rapidly changing magnetic field. I think of it as a sort of friction or resistance by iron ground minerals to respond to an electromagnetic field.

I’m not suggesting for one moment that these two PI units are ideal for precious metals under roughly a gram or so and I’m also not suggesting that either unit performs, for example, with a depth / sens of a Minelab GPX unit. While either unit can and has detected nuggets down into four to five grain range on occasion, in my experience both these units have missed much larger pieces.

So for my purposes, the question comes down generally to size of nugget for which these two PI units are practically useful. In bad ground where VLF units struggle, probably something on the order of a gram or larger would be a reasonable gold nugget size to pursue IMO. Many factors affect detectability as you know… depth, ground mineral conditions, disturbed or undisturbed ground, soil moisture, electromagnetic (EMI) interference, detector settings / coil type and size, operator skill or awareness, and the physical / chemical characteristics of a given size nugget… particularly shape, character / structure.

I think it reasonable to conclude that operating over tougher magnetic susceptible ground, there will be nuggets that either VLF or PI units will overlook due to one or more of the above listed contributing factors.

Jim.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Thanks Jim,
I think most of us are a little too much of a layman and your explanations help us all to understand our hobby a little better.
Rich

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry you kind of slacked off of your "Tesoro only" viewpoint why the change?
Rich

I have been labled as "Tesoro Only" by others TF. I have always used Minlab PI machines since their introduction here in the US. Don't believe everything you read by my detractors..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
“BTW, I have yet to encounter dramatically mineralized ground here in the US. It may seem bad when using a VLF but is quite mild with the PI's I have used”

Terry… in reference to the above statement contributed by Reg to the magnetic viscosity thread… remember that those words are used in the context of the overall discussion that is about magnetic viscosity and not just about magnetic susceptibility. I doubt any of us have not encountered high magnetic susceptible ground conditions, for example black sands or mafic rocks for which either the TDI or Infinium can deal with effectively whereas VLF prospecting-capable units struggle by comparison.

In layman’s terms, magnetic susceptibility in a metal detecting context refers to the ability of a soil’s iron minerals to attract a magnetic field. The “follow the black sand” feature on the GMT, similar to the Fe3O4 bar graph on the F75 or other units, measures the strength of the ground’s magnetic susceptibility.

It is my understanding that magnetic viscosity refers the ease with which particles or atoms respond to a rapidly changing magnetic field. I think of it as a sort of friction or resistance by iron ground minerals to respond to an electromagnetic field.

I’m not suggesting for one moment that these two PI units are ideal for precious metals under roughly a gram or so and I’m also not suggesting that either unit performs, for example, with a depth / sens of a Minelab GPX unit. While either unit can and has detected nuggets down into four to five grain range on occasion, in my experience both these units have missed much larger pieces.

So for my purposes, the question comes down generally to size of nugget for which these two PI units are practically useful. In bad ground where VLF units struggle, probably something on the order of a gram or larger would be a reasonable gold nugget size to pursue IMO. Many factors affect detectability as you know… depth, ground mineral conditions, disturbed or undisturbed ground, soil moisture, electromagnetic (EMI) interference, detector settings / coil type and size, operator skill or awareness, and the physical / chemical characteristics of a given size nugget… particularly shape, character / structure.

I think it reasonable to conclude that operating over tougher magnetic susceptible ground, there will be nuggets that either VLF or PI units will overlook due to one or more of the above listed contributing factors.

Jim.

Here in the US Jim? Where? I have hunted in California, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, New Mexico, Montana, Arizona, and Vermont, and NEVER encounted ground where a VLF gold nugget hunter will not work on a .5-gram nugget at 4"-6". Maybe you or Reg can enlighten me.

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry… I think you know full well that I cannot comment on what happens in your search areas any more than you can address the conditions we encounter here in Ontario. Certainly we all see posts to the forums that we find less than satisfactory, but I try to extend the benefit of the doubt in most cases for the good reason that while an observation expressed on a given topic may not be satisfactorily explained in my experience, that does not exclude the possibility that it may be valid elsewhere.

Some of us have put forth our rationale for using these PI units where ground conditions warrant their use. I’ve described the ground conditions encountered in my area up on the Canadian Shield (silver country in northeastern Ontario) where either of these units will see targets deeper than suitable mid-frequency prospecting-capable VLF units available today. Any reader can choose to ignore those explanations… and that’s fine by me.

It is evident to me, for example, that you never searched mine tailings where all the rock is comprised of dark, high magnetic mafics. Almost exclusively diabase at one of our sites, VLF target signals can be entirely blocked by the positive and negative signals produced by such material. All mafics are not the same grade… in this example some diabase falls sufficiently within a given ground balance window to be searched with a VLF unit to some extent. But some does not due to a higher or lower GB comp point and signals from worthless rock result… lots of them. We’re not discussing small hotrock signals here, but rather massive pieces that run from a few pounds commonly to hundreds of pounds. They reduce VLF penetration compared to either of these PI units, and searching for example with an Infinium over such material eliminates these rock signals. So…when you get a signal you know there is a conductive target beneath the coil.

I think that if you are suggesting there is no ground with severe enough magnetic susceptible iron minerals to affect the depth / sens of a VLF unit, you’ve been very fortunate in your search areas. Such ground in your experience apparently does not exist.

But that is not the case in my experience. If the Infinium for example did not provide me with an improved depth performance over such substrates, honestly… do you think for one moment that I’d tote that heavy SOB on my arm all day? I’m an enthusiastic hobbyist, but am not going to put up with longterm “tennis elbow” for no good reason. Moreover, the proof is in the results… and my results have dramatically improved since incorporating PI units into my gameplan.

So that’s it for now. I don’t intend to lock horns with anyone over what ought to be an interesting topic for impartial discussion. I’ve got your perspective and I’ve related an example of mine to you… fair enough. All the very best with your forthcoming prospecting season in the great South-West…

Jim.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I to use Pulse Induction machines in the goldfields Jim (Minelab GPX 4000, and 5000), and I completely agree with you that there is always times when a good PI is needed. In my experience tailing piles (in America's Southwest) are not a good place for a PI. We all have different conditions to deal with. I have said all along that the TDI is overpriced and overhyped, and you would be better off with a good VLF nuggetshooter than a TDI here in the lower 48. I know some folks disagree, but that's life. I WOULD buy an Infinium if I had no other choice, but I do. Big gold to you this summer Jim!

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know diddley-squat about the logistics on this machine or that machine. I just know that when I was in the market for a detector, I knew about what I wanted, where I was going to hunt and the ground conditions, and that I was doing this for a hobby, not to get rich by any means. So I compared detectors, knew my budget, paid attention to a few metal detecting sites, took notes and read reviews. Then I picked what I wanted. Plain and simple. And I didn't have to sharpen my claws at that. I am a happy camper with what I purchased. And I love this site by seeing and reading everyone's finds! Happy hunting to all :laughing7:

Last edited:

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd PART

Well, although we are located 5000 miles apart & have no inkling of each other’s intent / integrity but to that I can only say that we'll just have to trust each other because if we are successful we really don't have anything to worry about & if (God forbidding) we are not then all one loses is the effort & some money, of course, (money for travelling to those locales which are all within India).

Considering the fact that you must be having all the equipments & the experience (since I do not have an iota of experience in this line) necessary for this kind of an expedition, I would like to make an offer of partnership for prospecting. The finer details can always be worked out later on when you decide to respond to my offer.

I have this very simple request to make that if you are not interested, I would be hugely obliged if you could pass this message of mine to prospectors in your group who might want to try their luck and hand with me.

regards,

rajeev​

rajeevthehunk - Today 10:11 AM - permalink View Conversation Report
Dear Boarder,

I am an ordinary businessman from a non-descript town by the name of Cuttack in India’s State of Orissa. I too have this long unfulfilled desire of going prospecting in quite a few places I have in mind where I am sure we could find a lot of success with regard to unearthing old gold & precious stones. Now, you may surely have this question in mind that if I am so sure of the location where we might find gold then why am I looking for a partner
huh.gif
Well, although I do have a reasonably high confidence of finding some old treasures but I do not have the finance to put up the state-of-the-art equipment for this type of a venture & that is precisely the reason why I am looking for a partner.

Since, there is a constraint of limiting messages to 1000 words, I shall be sending the remaining part of this message in the next IM.​

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look what I received a short time ago! LMAO I want to know if there is "SUCKER" tattooed across my forehead that I don't see when I look in the mirror????? Anyone see it????

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS....If anyone feels like partnering up with this guy, please feel free to do so. It won't hurt my feelings one bit!!!!! :headbang:

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my friends in Bangalore told me that as far as he knew there were no public lands, as in the USA, where you could legally go prospecting. He may be wrong.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry and Jim,

I think we can agree having a variety of detectors is the way to go. Terry, I get the impression maybe your comment about somebody being better off with a nugget hunting VLF over a PI, is aimed more at people looking for their first machine here in the US. They are inexpensive, so you can get some basic gear together and be ready to hunt any ground here in the US.
I have seen multiple posts from a lot of prospectors in Canada, who have complained of ground that totally locked out VLF's. So I can understand their decision between a VLF and a PI is weighted more towards a PI. But once you get that first detector that you feel you need to have the quickest success, your free to get specialty detectors that fill the niches that your first machine could not fill. I think that even though a TDI or an Infinium may not be as good as a Minelab, they represent a low cost solution that allows prospectors to get a great PI unit for a low cash layout. This is taking into consideration this PI is probably their second or third detector, which are the toughest ones to acquire because your better half is asking questions that are hard to answer to a non-prospector. In this case I ask my wife how many golf clubs are in a golf bag, then I tell her that's how many I need.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Terry,
I can see that you have quite a bit more experience than a lot of us on VLF nuggetshooting. How about giving us a rundown
on the various nuggetshooting VLF's as far as ease of use, features, likes and dislikes, sensitivity, special tricks etc.
We all have favorites I know, not your favorite, just observations. Lots of forum members would enjoy it.
Thanks
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread