What about those National Parks quarters? They worth keeping?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Since I picked some quarter boxes of late. Today I noticed a box with a few new rims in there. I looked and they were National Parks quarters spread out thin in the box. From the mint figures on these, the mintages are low compared to state quarters. For example, I kept a nice 2010-D Grand Canyon and the mintage figure is 35.4 million. That's kind of low like Kennedy halves production numbers. So they worth keeping? I would only keep the uncirculated ones with the fewest damage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Well, just checked Feebay.. looks like they're not worth much.. same as the state quarters despite lower mintage figures.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They aren't worth above face value unless they are still in the collectors mint wrapped rolls.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Jason in Enid said:
They aren't worth above face value unless they are still in the collectors mint wrapped rolls.

Thought it was strange that people all valued those 2009 nickel and dimes when those mintage figures were higher than that of each new National Park quarter. Guess the reason is that since the mint sells them to everyone openly.. there's no need for collectors to buy them from other collectors who find them for a premium. With the 2009 dimes and nickels, you have to find them. Same with NIFC halves I suppose.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Ive kept about 6 or so of each mint National Park quarter Ive found. I dont think there worth much but you cant lose saving them

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I simply can't see any Cu-Ni circulation coins being worth anything substantial above face value in our lifetimes. Look at the 1950-D nickel, a very low mintage, a coin you can't hardly find "in the wild" but yet can be bought for cheap in uncirculated condition, despite the coin being 60+ years old. Of course, it doesn't hurt to put aside a few examples but I think that modern base metal coins have oversaturated the market to the point where they won't be worth much except for face value (or scrap value). Unless a major error comes up or die variety, I cannot see any circulation base metal coinage with a high (greater than 3 million) mintage being worth much at all.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Generic_Lad said:
I simply can't see any Cu-Ni circulation coins being worth anything substantial above face value in our lifetimes. Look at the 1950-D nickel, a very low mintage, a coin you can't hardly find "in the wild" but yet can be bought for cheap in uncirculated condition, despite the coin being 60+ years old. Of course, it doesn't hurt to put aside a few examples but I think that modern base metal coins have oversaturated the market to the point where they won't be worth much except for face value (or scrap value). Unless a major error comes up or die variety, I cannot see any circulation base metal coinage with a high (greater than 3 million) mintage being worth much at all.

Yeah.. true.. good point. Maybe, I just got hyped up by people talking about those 2009 dimes and nickels.

I do recall long ago around 2002-2003, uncirculated rolls of 2001-D halves were going for $40/roll off Feebay. It was crazy but only one guy had them. I even tried to get them and called the FED Reserve in SF. I didn't get boxes of them until 2010 and by then, they were nothing.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
SFBayArea said:
Since I picked some quarter boxes of late. Today I noticed a box with a few new rims in there. I looked and they were National Parks quarters spread out thin in the box. From the mint figures on these, the mintages are low compared to state quarters. For example, I kept a nice 2010-D Grand Canyon and the mintage figure is 35.4 million. That's kind of low like Kennedy halves production numbers. So they worth keeping? I would only keep the uncirculated ones with the fewest damage.

I went TO the grand Canyon event. Got BOXES of the Grand Canyon coins, all in sealed rolls of course, and even went so far as to put the first day of mintage stamps on the rolls. really cool looking. I'll see if I can attach a picture. (Nope. Couldn't. It was too big for the upload)

I am selling $10 rolls for $14 plus shipping. Haven't sold ANY for a few MONTHS. And these are for absolutely perfect coins never ever opened in sealed rolls WITH the Grand Canyon post office stamp showing that they were bought on the first day they were issued - AT the Grand canyon. So I'm going to say that they are not worth keeping. IMHO.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Generic_Lad said:

Generic_Lad, I respect you for your knowledge in coin collecting, but in this case you couldn't be more wrong. The 1950-D is a unique example. Collectors at the time, knew about the low mintage and hoarded examples fueling the hype when others couldn't find an example in the wild. They were forced to buy an example inflating the price in the short term. Since then, these hoards and individual rolls have met the supply chain providing for a large supply of mint state examples - consequently keeping the price in check.

Your overall premise that CuNi clad coins will never be worth much at all is wrong. The Roosevelt series is asleep. Collectors haven't shown enough interest to awaken the clad issues (except as you mentioned varieties/errors). The Quarter on the other hand is a perfect example. Studying price guides before the state qtr series, you would draw the conclusion that you mentioned as the CuNi issues were asleep up until that time. The State qtr series was a resounding success for the Mint and the coin collecting community. It introduced a large population to coin collecting that never did so prior to the introduction of the series. With the conclusion of the series, these same collectors have turned their eyes toward earlier issues in the series. Studying price guides today of the in-between years, you will notice some upward movement of the issues with certain years skyrocketing in price. The best example is the '83 qtr. Pick your mint, it doesn't matter. In MS65 and above, the price has mushroomed. A person who set aside rolls at the time have had that investment pay off handsomely.

Unfortunately, it does take time for the prices to move. The newer ATB series hasn't shown the same interest as the state qtr series which is due in part to collector fatigue. Collectors worked hard to complete the state qtr series, and just haven't taken up the new series with the same zeal. This attitude will benefit the ATB series in the long run especially the newer issues as there won't be a large enough supply in a couple of years of the mint state coins to satisfy collector demand. Setting aside examples won't hurt. You can't turn back time.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I collect even some of the more modern ones, and keep all spares because I can trade with people internationally who don't have the quarters. I can then receive some foreign coins as I am a foreign coin collector. I also like the design on the new 2012 El Yunque, however I don't have any yet. This is a pic of one:

Attachments

• IMG_9132.JPG
    IMG_9132.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 987

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Diver_Down said:
Generic_Lad said:

Generic_Lad, I respect you for your knowledge in coin collecting, but in this case you couldn't be more wrong. The 1950-D is a unique example. Collectors at the time, knew about the low mintage and hoarded examples fueling the hype when others couldn't find an example in the wild. They were forced to buy an example inflating the price in the short term. Since then, these hoards and individual rolls have met the supply chain providing for a large supply of mint state examples - consequently keeping the price in check.

Your overall premise that CuNi clad coins will never be worth much at all is wrong. The Roosevelt series is asleep. Collectors haven't shown enough interest to awaken the clad issues (except as you mentioned varieties/errors). The Quarter on the other hand is a perfect example. Studying price guides before the state qtr series, you would draw the conclusion that you mentioned as the CuNi issues were asleep up until that time. The State qtr series was a resounding success for the Mint and the coin collecting community. It introduced a large population to coin collecting that never did so prior to the introduction of the series. With the conclusion of the series, these same collectors have turned their eyes toward earlier issues in the series. Studying price guides today of the in-between years, you will notice some upward movement of the issues with certain years skyrocketing in price. The best example is the '83 qtr. Pick your mint, it doesn't matter. In MS65 and above, the price has mushroomed. A person who set aside rolls at the time have had that investment pay off handsomely.

Unfortunately, it does take time for the prices to move. The newer ATB series hasn't shown the same interest as the state qtr series which is due in part to collector fatigue. Collectors worked hard to complete the state qtr series, and just haven't taken up the new series with the same zeal. This attitude will benefit the ATB series in the long run especially the newer issues as there won't be a large enough supply in a couple of years of the mint state coins to satisfy collector demand. Setting aside examples won't hurt. You can't turn back time.

Further Reading: http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/clad-quarters-wake-up-very-slowly

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
Diver_Down said:
Generic_Lad said:

Further Reading: http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/clad-quarters-wake-up-very-slowly
Hm, interesting I really didn't know about that, thanks for the read. I suppose I'll have to take a looking at any MS 1983s I find in circulation.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Generic_Lad said:
Diver_Down said:
Diver_Down said:
Generic_Lad said:

Hm, interesting I really didn't know about that, thanks for the read. I suppose I'll have to take a looking at any MS 1983s I find in circulation.

Better yet, keep an eye out for local auctions (not eBay) where a collection goes up for sale. Many of times an estate is settled and the silver is quickly bought up leaving "worthless clad". In some cases the persons settling the estate, are advised by Gold and Silver buyers that they aren't worth anything and to deposit them at the bank. (Yay :hello2: for us CRH'ers). In other cases, they will consign the remainder at auction where they will sell for a little over face. I have networked with a local estate purchaser who only buys the gold/silver. The rest goes to auction (a division of their company). I picked up 3 key date buffalo nickels that were just tossed in a bag with transit tokens and other junk. It is out there as Riley was known to say. In our case as hunters, we just have to look. Sometimes that means in areas that we wouldn't normally look.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I will say this.. if you have original OBW rolls and if the mint wasn't selling them on their own. There would be a premium that may grow over the years. Say you have an original OBW rolls of 1986-D Kennedy halves, there is a premium there. Although this is something that happens over time. The NIFC coins or the easy accessibility of U.S. mint rolls makes uncirculated OBW kind of obsolete now. Keep in mind, I'm only talking about rolls not singles.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I agree with generic lad

The 1950 D jefferson nickel has gone up nicely in value but that has been over 60yrs!!

The idea that you can buy a coin;
With a mintage in the tens of millions
That is a few years old
Pay face value
Keep it for 5-10 years,
and see any kind of return is silly.

Error coins are different because their mintages are super low, often their mintage is unknown.

The recent series of state and national parks quarters are not low mintage (all examples >30 million)

If you are comparing the investment return, then you should use as a benchmark the return from silver or gold bullion. You will likely see much higher returns for silver or gold bullion.

Hence, it you consider yourself a coin collector, then go ahead and collect in joy.
If you are an investor, stay away from anything but rarest coins in the highest grades.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Agreed there are better investments out there than clad uncirculated coins. Who wants to wait 30-50 years for a double in price? As I look at my red book from 1984, some prices for some coins haven't changed much. The only big changes were prices of basic junk Ag circulated coins up on metal price changes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread