TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Drewspades,
Work up from the bottom. Buy a book on the subject. All general MDing books will get you started. A good tip; a cheap, plastic, strong spoon to hold sand or dirt next to the coil. $5 tops And all the GOOD MDers fill the hole... replace a sod plug and tack with them the trash metal. Seeing a "moonscape" behind you when you leave will only hurt the hobby. Wellcome and good luck
TKC

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good tool belt with several pockets is useful. You can store pointers,digging tools, and any finds in it.
I prefer to use a pin-pointer, makes for less digging.
Good Hunting!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a Finds apron is needed to put both finds and trash in. Treasure Wise T14 (or T12, T13, T10) is a very strong stainless digger. Earphones a MUST. "Rain Hood" for md is good if hunting in the rain. Others will pipe in with more suggestions. Gl. TTC

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Drewspades,
Work up from the bottom. Buy a book on the subject. All general MDing books will get you started.
I disagree. I've found (and read) only 6 or 7 books on MDing and all of them were just thinly-veiled advertisements for a particular brand of detector.
Anything you may want to know can be found online, most likely on this very site.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree. I've found (and read) only 6 or 7 books on MDing and all of them were just thinly-veiled advertisements for a particular brand of detector.
Anything you may want to know can be found online, most likely on this very site.
Graddick, Both approaches will work. I tend to agree with you that this net would be the FIRST stop, then read up. I have spent over 40 years detecting... and spent MUCH money on things not needed. But.... that is how we learn. I don't regret spending a dime on detecting. ALWAYS looking for the advice here on Tnet. Kuger, Tom-in-CA, Jim H, 63Bckpkr, and many others are followed by me CLOSELY for tips and tricks. At 63, I STILL don't know it all, although sometimes I sound like it! Take care, my Friend. TTC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will speak on the water side, if your going to be hunting wetsand and water next to your detector your most important tool is a good scoop, and they are not cheap..... If your good with your hands and can weld you can make your own, if not then dont waste your money on a cheap scoop, you will regrett it.

Nothing worse than breaking the handle on your scoop while digging and your a mile from your vehicle, and 20 to 120 miles from home... I know, I am speaking from experience. My first scoop was about $80, i figured, $80, thats a lot of money it has to be good right, wrong broke it in less than a month.....

Digging in wet sand puts a lot of stress on your scoop. Digging in the water you want to be able to recover that target as quick as possible before the next wave hits you. It is extremely hard to stay on target in the water with any kind of wave action.... You want as wide a scoop as you can handle.... I personally use the Beach Brute II, 8.5 inches wide 12 inches long, 6 inch high, has a stainelss lip riveted on.... $200..... I bet I would have no problem selling it for $125-$150 if I wanted to, but no desire to sell.... I have a backup scoop to that I loan out or in case of emergency....

beachbrute-1-1.jpg

There are lots of good scoops out there, not trying to push mine, if I get another one it will be the largest sunspot I can find..... A good scoop holds its value, a good used one holds almost all its value.... I bought my first scoop the original Beach Brute for $125 used, sold it 2 years later for $100.... Cost me all of $25 to use it for 2 years and that doesnt count the gold, and silver it brought up or the watches, and so on...

You need a good finds bag, if your not going in the water than a simple nail apron will do or you can get a good apron that has secret compartments to hide the gold you find from prying eyes.... In the water get a good apron, or you will lose what you spent hours finding....

I dont go anywhere with out my Metal detecting tool box. I have everything I need in it to make any repair on any of my detectors on the road, including sodering iron, soder, waterproof liquid tape, waterprood spray tape, epoxy, tie wraps, spare washers and nuts for all my detectors, spare knobs, stainless steel set screws, allen wrenches, needle nose plyers, regular plyers, hammer, silcone lube, electrical tape, duct tape, heat shrink lots of AA and AAA and 9 volt batteries, I am sure I am forgetting at least a dozen otehr things in it. Every time I find something I wish I had, i buy it next time i'm at the store and put it in the box....

I carry at least 2 of everything when I go, 2 detectors, 2 scoops, 2 camel water with harnesses I wear to hook my detector shaft to and water is in the camel, each harness has a tube of SPF 90 sunscreen attached to it as well as d links to attached anything I want to it...... I also carry at least one knife on me at all times and have at least 2 more in my carry bag, it is used for sharks, both in the water and on land....

My carry bag has changing of clothes, spare battery pods, spare knives, spare sunguard shirts, chargers both AC and DC spare sunscreen dew rags, and I also put my 3/4 wetsuit bottoms on top of carry pag in case I need it for man of war or jellyfish and my wetshoes....

It may seem like I carry a lot, but everything stays loaded ready to go, toolbox stays in detector vehicle as do my scoops, carry bag is loaded and ready beside my bedroom dressor, just have to put the wetsuit on top and head to the vehicle....When I go all I have to do is load my 2 or 3 detecotrs, 2 excals and Sov GT all with custom coils, my carry bag, camelpak and my cooler for drinks. I can be loaded and out the door in less than 10 mins.............

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What TH said.....and if you'll be hunting saltwater...."rinse everything off at the end of the day with fresh water". Rings on a strong, quality utility clip I keep around my neck under my wading shirts.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detectors take a shower with me....LOL

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a couple of PM's that may help you - good luck :thumb_up:

OP
OP
drewspades

drewspades

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Joshua Tree, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for all the great input, and again thank you TH for giving me the mega input, you have been a great help to me. so far I have gotten a Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector and a Garrett Pro Pinpointer. My budget will not allow for a hardcore beach brute scoop so I am thinking about a 41" Beachmaster Water Scoop, what do you think?

TH, your the best man, I really appreciate your time. I really appreciate all of the info I get from this forum and all the members. I joined 4 other forums and stopped going to them because I get all the info I need right here.

I am going to print this thread and buy a plastic bin to put all my goodies in, I will update everyone on the progress, you guys are all great, I feel like i have a bunch of new friends.

Any advice an the Land side? I will be hunting in desert sand and dense forest. I almost bought a tri-fold shovel and a machete today but decided to wait until i get some advice from you vets.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else I just though of.....something on your feet for pressing against the back of your scoop. Light water shoes will work but they can wear out quickly because the bottoms are so thin. I use a pair of strap-on sandals with a heavy rubber bottom.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Drewspades.... desert sand and dense forest are BOTH desert areas as far as finds go. If you are hunting gold or minerals, yes. In desert areas and dense forest, look for cleared areas. Look for trees and foliage not indiginous to the area, especially if in rows. Look for rock walls that might include meteorites cleared from a field for plowing. Piles of rocks or man-made bricks. Slight rises in the landscape may indicate a long gone homesite. Waterways, especially year-round water equals settlement. TTC

OP
OP
drewspades

drewspades

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Joshua Tree, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something else I just though of.....something on your feet for pressing against the back of your scoop. Light water shoes will work but they can wear out quickly because the bottoms are so thin. I use a pair of strap-on sandals with a heavy rubber bottom.

So funny, the first youtube video I seen today had a guy scooping in deep water with a pair of strap-on sandals. good thinking Bigscoop, i will ad that to the arsenal.

I also added toilet paper, you never know :laughing7:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the forest, I really like my Lesche made Sampson T Handle shovel or the 40" Ground Shark. They are very sturdy, and when I get tired after digging all day, they help me get back up!:wink:

Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread