What am I doing wrong?

Joe Kerr

Jan 27, 2008
I have not really been out since I bought my MXT last year. :( Since I live in AA Co., parks are off limits. I have researched places I have found, sent permission letters (these are commerical properties to be developed, a 1900 house with no one living in it since 1995 etc..), and have gotten no responses. I know that if I sling enough mud, sooner or later it will stick, but after a year I am thinking that i got in to the wrong hobby. What are your thoughts.

Dual Hunter

Jan 18, 2009
Middle River MD.
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030. Xp deus.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i know what your going through ,I'm in the same boat ,I've sent letters to commercial construction companies and never got a response i think they don't want to take the time to respond back. i got some abandon farms on the shore scheduled for demolition i've not gotten any response to ,so i look at it 2 ways , find the number to contact them and bug the hell out of them till you find the right person to grant permission ,or bypass the permission if its abandon and wing it ,or wait till you see someone on the place and drive up and ask. AA county has Sandy point you can detect without permission or permit there, try to hook up with a buddies on here and both go out and ask permission at places that are occupied and old. I'm always looking for company.i understand it is aggravating all theses places you cant get in the door.
Dual Hunter

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off, face-to-face and legwork is really the only way to go anymore. Most people are going to be leery of letters, since it gives written permission that could come back to bite them in the liability dept. If you're too shy to walk up and introduce yourself and ask for permission, then yes you may have chosen the wrong hobby, since at least part of the reality is being quick to think on your feet, since any kind of treasure hunting can bring you into contact with unexpected enounters. Also, when you talk to people you will often find out things you cannot find out any other way. Good Luck and I hope it works out for you.

Dual Hunter

Jan 18, 2009
Middle River MD.
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030. Xp deus.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i agree with you Bill ,personal face to face is the way to go ,kind of backs them into the corner to have to give a yes or no answer at the time and not give them to much time to stew it over ,but what do you do with places like abandon properties that you cannot find the owners or has been bought out by nationwide developers planning on leveling the whole place?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would stay away from properties like those, because if the valid owner comes along while you're there, you could find yourself explaining yourself to a police officer as he'd dragging you away for trespassing. You don't always get a warning anymore, these days. You're better off locating a property that had an event in the past, like a fair or picnic, or whatever and then talking to whoever's house is nearby and finding out who owns the property and then once you've got verbal permission, go to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread