What am I going to do with all these 87 P&D halves?

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What am I going to do with all these 87 P&D halves?

Went through 7 boxes tonight, had high hopes for them since this bank had paid out well early in the week. Only silvers were two 90%, 62 and 64. Not complaining.

The last box had eight, yes eight 1987 P and D halves, all in almost un circulated condition. I kept them, because all the voices in my head and on this board said to. :laughing7:

Anyway, I am hitting a coin show tomorrow and would like to trade these along with $20 face in impaired proofs for silver. Any idea what is reasonable to ask in trade value for 1987s?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What am I going to do with all these 87 P&D halves?

unless they are in SUPERB condition, I don't see any value more than $0.50... but I keep them too due to low mintage :)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

namster said:
Went through 7 boxes tonight, had high hopes for them since this bank had paid out well early in the week. Only silvers were two 90%, 62 and 64. Not complaining.

The last box had eight, yes eight 1987 P and D halves, all in almost un circulated condition. I kept them, because all the voices in my head and on this board said to. :laughing7:

Anyway, I am hitting a coin show tomorrow and would like to trade these along with $20 face in impaired proofs for silver. Any idea what is reasonable to ask in trade value for 1987s?

I would be very curious to know what kind of offers you get for your 1987's and impaired proofs. Please let us know.

I'm guessing that most dealers won't want them or even make an offer, other than offering to let you use them as 50 cents each towards anything they are selling. :)

If you can find a dealer(s) that do make you an offer, I am thinking it won't be much. 0.55-0.60 per coin.

Hope I'm wrong and you find a great deal! :icon_thumleft:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know how many times I have vociferously made my opinion known over the last five
years or so - but I don't mind doing it again -( I'm going to yell now ) ... NON SILVER "NIFC"
KENNEDY HALVES ARE WORTH FIFTY CENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD...............END OF STORY !
Argentium.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium said:
I don't know how many times I have vociferously made my opinion known over the last five
years or so - but I don't mind doing it again -( I'm going to yell now ) ... NON SILVER "NIFC"
KENNEDY HALVES ARE WORTH FIFTY CENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD...............END OF STORY !
Argentium.

Send me all your NIFC halves then i get .60 cents a pop at my local guy.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I personally do not keep any NIFC. I hate them.

Darth Walker

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've got 2 shops that will give me $4 for each. They did so after checking with what I believe to be the Grey sheet. So I keep them and trade them in.

As for impared proofs, I get something like $1 for each.

New NIFC coins I agree are just worth .50 but the '87 has paid off for me. I found some nice AU Susie B's the other day that also paid off. I buy all of those that I can find as the coin counter at my loose coin dump bank accepts them.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SilverJack said:
I've got 2 shops that will give me $4 for each. They did so after checking with what I believe to be the Grey sheet. So I keep them and trade them in.

As for impared proofs, I get something like $1 for each.

New NIFC coins I agree are just worth .50 but the '87 has paid off for me. I found some nice AU Susie B's the other day that also paid off. I buy all of those that I can find as the coin counter at my loose coin dump bank accepts them.

Wow. I'll happily sell you 1987's for $2 each. We'll both make money.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Alrighty, want a disappointment.

Best offer I got on 40% was $4.20/coin.

No one was interested in the 87s or the impaired proofs.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Namster , regarding the 40% ers at $4.20 that's about right- if they melt at $5.20 - the dealers
have to send them out to refiners or try to resell to the public . As to the 87's - their is just no
numismatic rarity - yes they were only issued in mint sets - but look at the numbers , for each of
the mints -nearly 3 million, and over 4 million respectively - and being cupro -nickel they just have
O sex appeal . I am committed to disabusing people of the notion, that any time in our lifetimes
that these non-silver "nifc"'s will ever be desirable above 50c. Argentium.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium said:
Namster , regarding the 40% ers at $4.20 that's about right- if they melt at $5.20 - the dealers
have to send them out to refiners or try to resell to the public . As to the 87's - their is just no
numismatic rarity - yes they were only issued in mint sets - but look at the numbers , for each of
the mints -nearly 3 million, and over 4 million respectively - and being cupro -nickel they just have
O sex appeal . I am committed to disabusing people of the notion, that any time in our lifetimes
that these non-silver "nifc"'s will ever be desirable above 50c. Argentium.

I agree about the NIFCs, though I just had to see for myself. I guess ill throw them back.

Re the 40%ers. Why would someone take $4.20/coin when you could get more direct from the refiner?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Namster , Suppose you lock in a deal with a refiner for 95% of spot on your 40%-ers - now
at say $5.20 spot that is $4.94 - but you've got to box em , insure them , ship them , and then
wait until the refiner is able to receive them and mail you a check ! $4.20 cash right now is
pretty fair - Argentium.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium said:
Namster , Suppose you lock in a deal with a refiner for 95% of spot on your 40%-ers - now
at say $5.20 spot that is $4.94 - but you've got to box em , insure them , ship them , and then
wait until the refiner is able to receive them and mail you a check ! $4.20 cash right now is
pretty fair - Argentium.

OK. Thats .75c below what I could get from the refiner. Multiply by 400 coins thats a $300 hit. Shipping in insurance is $20 max. I ship thousands of packages every year, so boxing and shipping is not a big deal. Perhaps its my curse as a business person, but I can not see taking a $280 hit just for the inconvenience of waiting a couple weeks. Must its just me. :dontknow:

I guess the other thing that got to me is they all told me the same (almost word for word) horror story of how they "shipped off a bunch of coins and the refiner and/or shipper lost them." They must assume people are idiots in general to think those sorts of tactics will work.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Let me also say, the vendors are perfectly within their right to lowball me on the coins, I am not contesting that. Just seems like a foolish business decision, when I would take $4.70/coin they would still make money.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Namster , Oh Yeah - IF - you can afford to wait , I'm in complete agreement with you , why
would you sell for less than the max ? Most people who would sell silver at under $50. oz. likely
need the money now , not in two weeks - I was only trying to suggest that the dealer offering
ready cash now - at $4.20 was not lowballing badly at all . Argentium.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium said:
Namster , Oh Yeah - IF - you can afford to wait , I'm in complete agreement with you , why
would you sell for less than the max ? Most people who would sell silver at under $50. oz. likely
need the money now , not in two weeks - I was only trying to suggest that the dealer offering
ready cash now - at $4.20 was not lowballing badly at all . Argentium.

Gotcha.

I wanted to trade the 40%ers up for some gold. I was sorta disappointed that I could not come together on a trade with someone at the show. I suppose the best option will be to sell them and then take the money and buy gold at a show.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Namster.. Haha.. this has been discussed many times before. I wish I had a nickel for every time, a question that has been discussed gets brought up again.

My friend, you should know better than to try to sell at coin shows or dealers. Call up APMEX, they will give you a quote a lot closer to spot than those guys. Who do you think those dealers sell your coins to? They're just middle men. Everytime, I've tried to sell at coin show, they have tried to low ball me. Sad thing is that I've had to suck it up if I'm trying to get a certain date or coin from them in exchange.

APMEX does require you to have more than 1K worth to sell. I know you have it since you got a lot these last few months.

As far as 87's, I found one the other day and I dumped it. I actually considered keeping it because it was decent looking. I used to save them until all the new NIFC's showed up. Greysheet may provide prices for MS-60 ones but I don't think there would be a premium for any circulated ones. Whoever got a dealer that is paying a premium for circulated ones has a good thing going. Next time, I go to my local dealer, I'll ask if greysheet prices exist for circulated 87's. Unless someone here has a greysheet on hand that can give us the answer.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SFBayArea said:
Namster.. Haha.. this has been discussed many times before. I wish I had a nickel for every time, a question that has been discussed gets brought up again.

I was certain it has, however until the owners enable the search feature questions like this will return ad nauseum. :laughing7:\
This is the only board out of the several I belong to that does not make the search feature accessible to all members. But hey, its their house so ill play by their rules. :icon_thumright:

Yeah, coin shows. Im not a coin person in general so it was interesting to see what goes on there. It was fun overall, just thought I would be able to offload the 40s for a little more in trade value but live and learn lol. I think every vendor was over 60 years old, at least.

In general I struggle with selling the coins at this time. I just wanted to get some gold because I bought 7x 1 OZ South African coins for $400 each in 2004, and sold them when gold hit $500/OZ. :icon_pale:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

namster said:
SFBayArea said:

I was certain it has, however until the owners enable the search feature questions like this will return ad nauseum. :laughing7:\
This is the only board out of the several I belong to that does not make the search feature accessible to all members. But hey, its their house so ill play by their rules. :icon_thumright:

Yeah, coin shows. Im not a coin person in general so it was interesting to see what goes on there. It was fun overall, just thought I would be able to offload the 40s for a little more in trade value but live and learn lol. I think every vendor was over 60 years old, at least.

In general I struggle with selling the coins at this time. I just wanted to get some gold because I bought 7x 1 OZ South African coins for $400 each in 2004, and sold them when gold hit $500/OZ. :icon_pale:

Watch out to see if this latest pull back in Ag prices is actually a pullback or a decline. Prices topped off at around $37, then down to $35 which is significant but only it's first pullback. I suspect it will try to got back up. If prices can come back to say $38 which is beyond $37 of the drop off, then watch out. It could have another huge leg up. A measured move from $26 low to $37 is a $10 move. So if it is a pullback only and measured move from the bottom of the pullback to $37 + whatever is left of $10 is your target provided you are going bullish. However if prices can not fight their way back up to $37, then it will have another leg down.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

namster said:

I've been to a couple of coin shows myself and I usually feel a little out of place. It usually seems like the larger shows are more of a place for dealers to get together and sell and trade amongst themselves than a place for the general public to get any good deals. Although the smaller local coin shows I like a little better and I remember having some good luck selling some of my modern clad coin collection a couple of years ago. Now I use CL to sell (mostly clad coins). Just this morning I sold over $300 more of clad state quarter rolls & pres. dollar rolls to a guy I've been selling some of my clad coin collection to over the past few months. I've probably sold over $1k to him since just before Xmas - including some clad Ike's & NIFC halves for about a 10% profit.

And I bet you still had those gold coins you sold for just a 25% profit years ago. You'd be able to sell them for for than a 400% profit today - although I wouldn't even sell them at today's prices either because pm prices are only going much higher. I don't own too much gold myself because I believe silver will continue to be a much better investment but I did buy a NGC MS70 2011 W $50 1 oz. AGE last summer for about $1800 or so because I thought it might be the lowest minted AGE ever minted. The coin sold out from the mint in Jan I think and the last sales figures I've seen were about 8,810 which is slightly less than the 2008-W $10 (1/4 oz) Uncirculated Gold Eagle which has a mintage of 8,883 and has sold for prices of more than $1,000 on the secondary market. Recently I noticed prices for a slabbed MS70 2011-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle like mine are selling for about $2,500 on ebay. I'm not much into numis. anymore but I figured this coin would be worth buying. :)

And I still keep all the '87's and other NIFC's I find - I guess I'm just a sucker for low mintage coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread