Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday Ty and I hit the old 1700's site,no old coin's but did manage to find a few measely keeper's I guess.My highlite of the day was the 3 old chestnut tree's in the side yard,dropping still as we speak I'll bet.Beside's these awesome find's :icon_scratch: does anyone have a good recipe for the Chestnut's,don't want to let them go to waste.Thank's and HH!!

Attachments

• P9280042.JPG
    P9280042.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,031
  • P9280051.JPG
    P9280051.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,029
  • P9280048.JPG
    P9280048.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,030
Upvote 0

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Gypsy Heart said:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place a chestnut on a "deep" dish towel that is lying flat on a cutting board or countertop. This will allow the chestnut to "sink" into the dish towel and keeps it from rolling while you make the cuts in the next step.
Use a sharp knife to cut an X into one side of the chestnut to allow the steam caused by roasting to escape, otherwise, the chestnut will explode.
Place each chestnut with the cuts facing up onto the cookie sheet.
Roast 20 to 30 minutes or until chestnuts are tender, easy to peel, golden brown in color, and the shells are beginning to open.
Peel nuts when they are cool

Then...wrap chestnut with bacon and insert bacon with toothpick to hold in place....broil for a few minutes till bacon crisp...yum yum yum

Now that sounds like a little bit o'heaven Gypsy... :thumbsup:

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Looks like a good spot to me. I like old digs, let everyone else have the can-slaw and aluminum foil. I'll take some of those chesnuts I'd hate to see them go to waste. :wink:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
We used to make small slit in them and boil till shell starts peeling back, use sieve to retrieve, peel, dip in butter, eat..........Heaven........NGE

OP
OP
civilman1

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Slingshot's,open fire's.batting practice......Gypsy you win,got the same recipe off the Net,although I will try the boiled version too,but I will try a little of first three....Probably a little more fun ;D. Thank's evryone.....Free Snack's.....

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warsawdaddy is correct. The American chestnut went extinct much like the native American Elm. Some imported bug killed them all. If there is a chestnut tree now it is an import of some kind. I remember my 3rd grade teacher talking about roasting chestnuts. I have never even seen one fresh off the tree but always wanted to try them. Oh, uh...and nice finds. Monty

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice old key. The ground is still too hard to dig in Tenn.
Dman

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice finds!

Lots 'o' good recipes here, but I like to be lazy - slit them & put a few in the microvave intil they are hot & sizzling. You're eating them in a minute or so!! Sort of like "fast food" chestnuts ;D

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
DanL said:
:stop: :stop: :stop: :stop: Those are Horse-Chestnuts and they're extremely toxic. While fatalities are rare in adults they can and will make you VERY sick!!! :stop: :stop: :stop: :stop:

Although they have similarities, these are regular chestnuts. The family planted them
and have been eating them for around 60 years. Thanks for thinking of us, though.

OP
OP
civilman1

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tymcmurray said:
DanL said:
:stop: :stop: :stop: :stop: Those are Horse-Chestnuts and they're extremely toxic. While fatalities are rare in adults they can and will make you VERY sick!!! :stop: :stop: :stop: :stop:

Although they have similarities, these are regular chestnuts. The family planted them
and have been eating them for around 60 years. Thanks for thinking of us, though.
Yeah....These are the real McCoy's DanL.....Got that "buttery-toxic" flavor ;D Serious,thank's for the concern though because I just gave my Phillipino buddy at work a huge bag ::)

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CM1: That key is very nice. Chestnuts are, too! Hope you enjoy them.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions