What archives?

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
Hey treasure seeking GODS :notworthy: I`m looking for the type of state archives that can confirm people being there way back when......any suggestions would be a great help. Just trying to confirm the fella involved with the gold was actually there.I did find his name on the assessors list but can`t seem to find him elsewhere.Thanks

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nvradar,

Call your local library and ask them which branch has the most research material for genealogy. Many libraries have a genealogy center that stores lots of old census books for this type of research.

Good Luck, Jack

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
nvradar,
Depending on the supposed timeframe of residency, a National Census may be helpful. If the person was at the place in question in 1850, 1860, 1870, and so on, that will be a surefire and quick way of determining it. Just need to know his name, age, and it would be helpful to have a place of birth. I've got access to Ancestry.com, so if you think that would be helpful, shoot me a message. I think that will be your quickest means, but only if the person was at that place around the time of the census. Otherwise, you are going to have to go to the county in question and see what kind of records they have from that timeframe.

Likely Guy

Next question? What year?

Go to the LDS site familysearch.org or findagrave.com is another. There are plenty of free sites to hit first. Also the digital newspaper sites, depending on the state you're in there may be many, but a broad generic one is chroniclingamerica.loc.gov.

Good luck. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
So cool guys many many thanks!! I will see what each tells me and let you know here. NEVADARADAR

K

Kentucky Kache

The LDS site is full of bad info. Ancestry.com is good for starters, but you really do want to go the the County seat and do research at their main library, as well as the courthouse. You should be able to find a lot of records for what you need.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of things to ponder here. First, depending on the time line (how you define "old" is "or way back when" is a personal point of view. You can look up land grants, property or tax records in the local county of interest. Then, there is always newspapers. I even research telephone books of the era as they even include religious affilations as well as occupations. Few people really know how valuable old telephone books are. In some areas, they even list the number of kids a family has. Then, of course, there is the obituary sections. Most is on microfilm and in data bases. Again, it just depends on the time frame. Wills are also on record.
I have done quit a bit of research on the homefront during WWII so I am very familiar with more 20th century history than any other historical era. I have found these tools invaluable.
Hope this helps.
apush :read2:

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
It seems a trip to the state archives is in order.Hitting the wall with the web. We have a big one hear in Carson City Nv. Thanks again fellas!!!

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
I posted the info I found in the TREASURE LEADS from the archive search.Thanks again guys!! NVRADAR :headbang:

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know where you are in Nev. but a chat with the local historical society might save you a trip the to archives in Carson City. What county was the person you are looking for info from?

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Hey Hemisteve
Hayden lived in White Pine county Nv. But I have learned of info that leaves me believing his gold was recovered after a search by himself...but I have found another lead on a different story so I`m researching it now.Thanks NVRADAR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread