What are my chances

Cache Hunter in NY

Mar 15, 2005
Fort Drum NY
My family's land is alot closer than I thought! I had thought it was about 2 hours away but it is actually only 10 minutes away shows what I know! I was just told over the weekend how to get to my aunt's and my 2nd cousins land. There is a history to it and I was wondering my chances of finding a cache. I haven't been able to get and exact date but I know it was from the early 1900's or earlier that a man hung his 2 nephews in a barn. I am real hopeful that he may have things buried that he never got a chance to get specially if he was put to death. I am going to be starting my search of the area this weekend but it will take a long long time (it's 96 acres) and I was just wondering what everyone thought the chances of a cache were.

~Angela

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I's say pretty good chance of some good stuff out there. Sounds like you got a place to hunt for a while good luck

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe!

Attachments

• digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 400
  • digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 330
Jun 1, 2005
Since you stated that the structures were around since the early 1900's, the chances of having a cache buried on the land is very good. I say this because during the late 1920's and 1930's, no one trusted the banks and most people, especially farmers buried their savings rather then put it into a bank that was ready to go bust. Problem is 96 acres is a lot of land to search. Start with the most obvious. Most people that buried their money, buried it in a place where they could also keep an eye on it. Next, get yourself a good detector that can go to a dept of at least 2 feet (most people didn't bother to go any deeper due to the inconvienience of having to dig it up later. If your real serious, you might also consider purchasing an Electroscope (used mainly for cache hunting). Most have a range of 1 or 2 miles and depth of 6 to 12 feet with a gold and silver mode, but will cost from $500.00 to $7000.00 dollars depending how much wiz bang features you want. Up side is that they are valuable in narrowing your search field down to around a 10'X10' area to where you can use a conventional detector.

Jun 1, 2005
Phantom-Warrior said:
Since you stated that the structures were around since the early 1900's, the chances of having a cache buried on the land is very good.? I say this because during the late 1920's and 1930's, no one trusted the banks and most people, especially farmers buried their savings rather then put it into a bank that was ready to go bust.? Problem is 96 acres is a lot of land to search.? Start with the most obvious.? Most people that buried their money, buried it in a place where they could also keep an eye on it.? Next, get yourself a good detector that can go to a dept of at least 2 feet (most people didn't bother to go any deeper due to the inconvienience of having to dig it up later.? If your real serious, you might also consider purchasing an Electroscope (used mainly for cache hunting).? Most have a range of 1 or 2 miles and depth of 6 to 12 feet with a gold and silver mode, but will cost from $500.00 to $7000.00 dollars depending how much wiz bang features you want.? Up side is that they are valuable in narrowing your search field down to around a 10'X10' area to where you can use a conventional detector.

rochestergirl

May 12, 2005
rochester new york
hi angela,
i live in rochester and was stationed up at fort drum for a couple of years..have you found anything up there? i will be up at fort drum july 10-16 for training maybe we can go detecting... lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread