What are the odds

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
While reading the May 2007 edition of Lost Treasure Magazine, I came across an article of a gentleman who wrote about his metal detecting adventures. This gentleman lives in Florida, on the west central coast area. It was interesting to me because I used to live in that area.

The article listed this mans finds for a two year period. He found a total of 6,762 coins from 2000 to 2002. A one sentence statement really caught my eye, it read " In fact, it's the only silver coin I have found in the past 10 years in Florida". This statement was related to his report that he found this one 1940 mercry dime in his total finds for the years 2000 to 2002.

When you read all the great finds that people post on this forum and see all the silver that they dig up on a regular basis it makes you wonder why silver is so elusive in Florida. I have found 2 silver dimes in the past 12 years (in Florida). One recent mercury dime and one rosey about a year or so ago.

It just make you wonder what the odds are and why the odds of finding silver coins is so high. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Happy Wondering....
Ray S

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do people retire to? Maybe lots of 1970-1990 retired people took up MDing and took out all the silver. Just my 2 cents. :)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ever think some of the people posting on these forums are not truthful??????

Like the ones finding silver everyday?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think that Florida has been hunted pretty heavily during the past twenty years with detectors. The majority of people hunting there from this forum are beach hunters who find mostly jewelry on a regular basis. The guys diving are coming up with some nice stuff also.
In the less populated areas , silver and older valuable coins can be found and is by the diligent hunters who are doing their research.There are some pretty desolate areas that most metal detectorists are not going to venture into. There are some fine examples of the guys from this forum that are finding through constant historic research are (names deleted to protect the innocent ;))Other members are indeed finding fantastic stuff but wont post it.
I have been hunting for a long time now and can honestly say that I have never run into another detectorist in the outer areas I hunt.I rarely see another person detecting at all,even in the parks or schoolyards and can count the ones that I have on one hand.
I have found my fair share of silver and gold. Some I post some I dont .

I sometimes wonder if some of the stories I read are true, but then it really doesnt matter. I dont like it when someone posts a story and it has blatant inconsistencies or facts that dont add up ...and you all know I call them on it. :D
I think in general that the stories here posted are true....if not then they get their fifteen minutes of glory and life goes on. I dont think anyone really cares.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gyps,
Believe me... if I ever find something of monetary value, I'll probably tell you first and let you tell a "anonymous story" for all of T-Net! ;) You'd be my favorite person to tell off of these forums....

Bran <><

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I live on the west coast of FL and I have been hunting here off and on for the past 30 years. I have probably found a total of 25-30 silver coins total. I have found thousands of coins but very few silver. One silver half I found in 1978 another in 1979 and the last a week ago. I hunt both dirt and water and go out 4-5 times a week totaling close to 25 or more hours a week. The main trouble is the rapid development over the years. Everything is either filled in or paved over. You can go to a sports park that is a few years old and have no trouble finding $30-50 in clad but silver-it is really tough.

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
I've only been hooked by the MDing bug since last December, but I have found over 1100 coins of which 3 are Merc and 1 is a silver Rosie.
And I plan to find many more silver ones.
I'm of the opinion Gypsyheart's reply hit it on the head. Do your RESEARCH and you will up the odds.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
It's location, location, location. I didn't find silver for a year or so, but when I found the right spot it was like hitting paydirt. Old silver at the beach has been classified to deep levels over the years through water action, just like being in a big gold pan. Old silver is normally found at beaches after a horrific storm that would rip away tons of sand and leave a huge cut.

Keep learning, the curve is long when it comes to locations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions