May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Or what would you pay for these? I did a search here and the posts with prices were from years ago.
Say both of these are in good condition. The 1st Whites goldmaster4B. The other Garrett scorpion gold stinger.
Was looking for a gold detector and was going to buy a goldbug 1, sent the money order but it came back due to wrong address. Being superstitious took that as a sign.
Anyway the values of the above detectors would be...?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The value would be what ever the seller can get for them. Personally I wouldn't waste my time on old used detectors because they aren't usually up to the task you want to put them through.

I would take the Garrett Stinger before the White's.

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? May I ask why you would choose the stinger? On all the forums and doing searches everyone says the whites goldmaster. Just curious on why you picked the stinger.

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A White's GM4B in good condition should sell for $400 to $450. It is a high frequency machine with no discrimination so it will detect smaller gold than the Scorpian.
A Garrett Scorpian in good condition should sell for $275 to $325. It has more versitility than the Whites as it has discrimination and can be used for coin/relic hunting as well.
Both will find gold nuggets. The White's is new technology so handles mineralized ground better. The Scorpian is still in Garrett's line up and the GM4B was replaced by the current GMT.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the two detectors you listed the White's is the better gold detector, but the Stinger can be used for other types of hunting also. The newer White's are even better at finding small flake gold and those pinhead sized nuggets called "pickers."

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
But if i am hunting gold with a detector .... I don't want to waste my time with with flake or pinhead size gold.

Attachments

• goldstinger_display.jpg
    goldstinger_display.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 330
  • goldstinger_display.jpg
    goldstinger_display.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 317

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I have a Garrett Scorpion(stinger). It does wonders for me. I watched the videos online on how to operate it and now I do better then ever.

I only have the Stinger and a pinpinter and don't know how good the other companies are. I'm sure there are detectors just as good as the stinger but I'm hooked on my machine.

With a little research and a little patients in the field, I find enough stuff in the field to buy any detector that I could ever want. If I do buy other detectors then the Scorpion will be one of then that I take to the field every time along with the others. Just a matter of preferrence.

If your going for gold as well as coins and relics then $500-600 is a good price range for a new detector.

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned both and would go for the whites. It is much easier to use and was more sensitive to small gold. In my test garden, the stinger wouldn't hit one of the small nuggets, but the whites had no problem. This nugget was about 1.5 grain. As mentioned, the scorpion can also be used for coin/relic hunting, but it is not worth it. Shortly after buying the goldmaster, I sold the stinger and haven't looked back. I bought a used goldmaster 4b two years ago for $280 in like new condition, but I think that was a steal. Oh, and did I mention the whites is easier to use. Ground balancing easier. One other thing, the stinger uses 9volt batteries (didn't work too well with rechargeables) and you have to remove the circuit board to change the batteries. The whites uses AA batteries. Saves you money and you don't have to mess with the circuit board.

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
But if i am hunting gold with a detector .... I don't want to waste my time with with flake or pinhead size gold.

Then you might get a bigger coil. The goldmaster still handles the ground mineralization better. This will affect both small and larger gold.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
kai_gold said:
I have owned both and would go for the whites. It is much easier to use and was more sensitive to small gold. In my test garden, the stinger wouldn't hit one of the small nuggets, but the whites had no problem. This nugget was about 1.5 grain. As mentioned, the scorpion can also be used for coin/relic hunting, but it is not worth it. Shortly after buying the goldmaster, I sold the stinger and haven't looked back. I bought a used goldmaster 4b two years ago for $280 in like new condition, but I think that was a steal. Oh, and did I mention the whites is easier to use. Ground balancing easier. One other thing, the stinger uses 9volt batteries (didn't work too well with rechargeables) and you have to remove the circuit board to change the batteries. The whites uses AA batteries. Saves you money and you don't have to mess with the circuit board.
I have a Scorpion and set the discrimination a little higher when looking for gold and find pieces about a gram size and slightly smaller.
Your right about it being a harder mechine to use then others but it takes a little more energy and time to figure out how to be trickier then the machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread